“Hotel between China Town and Little Italy in San Fran”
Review of SW Hotel

SW Hotel
Ranked #124 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Waterbury, Vermont, United States
“Hotel between China Town and Little Italy in San Fran”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Great location! Sandwiched between China Town and Little Italy. We ate at a great Italian Restaurant, Pinnochio at 401 Columbus Ave. just up the street. Staff was very friendly and on site parking was great. Skip the breakfast: it is just bad coffee and bread. Room was nice, bed was comfortable, but the walls are thin. I was there 5 nights and on two early mornings the guest next door was on a conference call at 5AM and woke me up. Ask to be in a room away from the street, away from the elevators, and hope your neighbor sleeps late. I attended Dream Force and it was only a 15 minute walk and at a great rate when Holiday Inn wanted $500 a night.

Room Tip: Away from the street and away from the elevators.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Jed B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Hebrew first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed three nights at the SW over a weekend, and won't hesitate to stay here again. The location is great, at the intersection of Chinatown and North Beach, with tons of great restaurants and coffee shops around. Even the longer walks, to Fisherman's Wharf and the Ferry Building, are no long at all. The hotel itself is clean and recently renovated. The room was not large by contemporary American hotel standards, but we just wanted a nice, clean, quite room to sleep in, and that's what we got. There is a continental breakfast (no restaurant or bar), but with all of the great coffee shops and bakeries nearby, we never tried it.

Room Tip: We had an interior room, which was very quiet. No street noise (of course, no view, either).
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GeekProf
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for four nights in November. We had booked this hotel because it was quite a bit cheaper than other hotels with similar reviews and locations and we weren't disappointed. The location was perfect, right on the edge of Chinatown, north beach and little italy and consequently very short walk to bars and restaurants, as well as being walking distance to fisherman's wharf and union square.
The room were basic but fully functional, I didn't find it or the bathroom overly small. The towels weren't huge but they were good and there was plenty of them. The breakfast was again basic but fine and what do you expect for nothing!? We ate every morning.
The staff were friendly without being overbearing. When we checked in the lady in reception apologized that the (free) WiFi might be slow because they were busy, but we didn't have any issues with it at all.
I would definitely recommend this hotel, particularly if you're traveling on a budget. My only gripes are that it would have been nice to have tea/coffee facilities in the room, the bed was a little hard, real plates, cups and cutlery would have been nicer with breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maz_n_gaz
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2013

For full disclosure, I was staying in a king-size room (it was only $15 dollars a day difference on the site a booked through) and stayed in the hotel for 4 nights. The room itself was lovely - decent level of storage space and a very large, comfortable bed. An extra blanket was provided in the cabinet in case it got too cold, and there was a fridge inside as well, in case I wanted to store anything. Ensuite bathroom was attractive and clean.
The TV had a really wide array of channels (including BBC America and AMC) although the TV itself was quite old - not something that bothers me.
I requested a quiet room not facing onto Broadway and had a very peaceful few night's sleep. View of a wall, but I think given the alternative (nearby there is a boisterous restaurant that often has live music out front) it was for the best! Occasionally could hear a cough or so from other rooms, but other than that it was very quiet.
As has been commented upon, breakfast is pretty sparse - I usually had a slice of pound cake and a banana with a cup of orange juice. There was also tea, coffee and some cereals, along with bread/toasting equipment. This was no issue for me as I like a light breakfast - if you don't there are plenty of places nearby where you can eat so heartily you won't need more until dinner time....

Front desk staff were courteous and efficient. Not so much the jump-down-your-throat American level of customer service, but enough to feel welcome, and if you had requests/asked for recommendations they were forthcoming and friendly.

The location really was excellent - right in the middle of 'real' chinatown - I walked to the Pier areas and Union Sq. no problem, and it is close to a number of transport links (including a cable car line). Always easy to find somewhere to eat in the evening. There are about 4 strip clubs in the nearby area, but I always felt safe (despite being a young solo female). The lights also make for entertaining photos...

Overall, it was a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room that isn't facing onto Broadway.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank OdradekD
Corby, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed here during a bit of travelling round America and this was our first stop. It's right in China town and was a great find. Walking distance to Union Square, lovely restaurants nearby and some great little bars. Felt perfectly safe there, the room was quiet and clean. We faced on to a building at the back but to be honest, I wasn't there to stay in the room and admire the view so don't care about that!
Chinatown is a wonder to see in the morning. It is literally a mass of people buying vegetables and fish and chattering and the streets are full. Come back at about 7pm and the streets are empty. Crazy.
Never felt unsafe wandering around here.
I would stay here again without a doubt. We never tried the breakfast so can't comment but do try the restaurants nearby. It is the best Chinese food I've ever tried!

Room Tip: We were at the back and never heard a noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julie D
whakatane
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Great location minutes away from China Town ,Little Italy, short walk to Union Square etc.
Very clean and tidy and staff helpful and friendly.Light breakfast was great in morning .No complaints at all.Would stay again.

Room Tip: Request a room at back.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Belo Horizonte
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I'm reviewing from my room. We're staying until nov 11th. We had to stop at walgreens to buy some stuff for tomorrow's breakfast. No ham or cheese, no hot milk, no hot food of anykind, no hot chocolate.

Location is great.
Our room has window to inside of the building, so no noise and no view.
Hotel and room are old but well taken care. Matress isn't that good...Average sleep.
TV has lots of channels.
Bathroom is good.