“Intimate feel, great location, spacious rooms”

Omni San Francisco Hotel
Ranked #3 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Our family gathered for a celebration in San Francisco and the Omni hotel couldn't have been a more perfect choice for our stay. While a lovely hotel, it's not over-the-top luxury. Don't mistake that for anything but very elegant though. It's everything you need or desire! And while not inexpensive, if you are looking for a wonderful hotel, you may not pay quite as much here as you would in other top rate hotels. The Omni features spacious rooms with a large, marble bathroom, big windows, very comfortable beds, nice furnishings, plenty of closet and drawer space. The housekeeping staff was extremely attentive and courteous. The lobby and front desk staff were equally gracious and helpful. I rarely passed through the lobby without a "good morning" greeting or a "welcome back". It really made me feel appreciated as a hotel guest. The front door men were always smiling and opening the doors for me. Lobby is beautiful with dark wood and several places to sit while waiting for others. I think this is a great location, particularly for business. Most of the large banks are within two blocks. It's also just far enough away from touristy Union Square that you can easily get there if you want, but don't have to deal with crowds. There is a Starbucks directly across the street, as well as a terrific boulangerie with fresh morning croissants and pastries, and delicious sandwiches and salads all day. Both are very convenient. The Omni was a perfect pleasure of a hotel and will guarantee a return visit when I'm next in San Francisco.

Room Tip: Rooms facing California Street have a slightly brighter feel to them than those facing Montgomery St...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Alexandra S
There are newer reviews for Omni San Francisco Hotel

Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and I had a great time at the Omni. The hotel staff was very kind. The hotel is within walking distance of almost all the attractions in San Francisco (SF), and the Municipal (MUNI) transportation hubs. We were unaware that Tourism, Tourism District Assessment, Parking, and Room Taxes were charged in SF in addition to "normal" taxes.* The valet parking at the Omni was about $32/weekday and $52/Sunday.

*Tax Breakdown:
-Tourism ($0.13)
-Tourism District Assessment ($2.89)
-Parking ($7.28)
-Room ($26.98/room rate of $192.72)

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street cost more, but nice to see the weather and feel the downtown vibe.
3  Thank Matthew M
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My family and I were here over Valentine's Day - I was in the city for a few meetings tacked onto the end of our holiday, so I guess this is really a combined business / family trip. Because of this we had a LOT of luggage (wife plus three very young kids = lots to carry) and wanted us all to fit into one room. Well this was absolutely no problem for anyone at the hotel. The porter took our bags from the shuttle to our pain-free check-in, where they arranged a last-minute switch to a bigger room for us at no extra charge. Then Adam (one of the bellhops - GREAT GUY) took the bags up to our room, gave us a few tips on where to go in the city, then arranged for rollaway and cots to be provided with zero fuss. Wow.

Lots of other little touches we noticed over the three nights we were there added up to an overall wonderful experience. The hotel had hot apple toddy on tap in the lobby, plus fruit and cookies, all for free. They gave us little love hearts on Valentine's Day. Lex the Concierge is not only incredible with kids (he has a stash of toys under his desk like some moonlighting St. Nick) but his knowledge of where to go in the city for big stuff or small (laundry, good Chinese take-away etc.) was nothing short of encyclopaedic. Use him at every opportunity and you'll love him.

And when we checked out, smooth as silk. Settling-up was already done by the time we got downstairs, the hotel staff all gave us an individual farewell, and Darryl the porter orchestrated the removal of our caravan of luggage into the airport shuttle and away we went. Double wow.

Sure there are small things we might have changed - Italian bottled mineral water for $7 in the hotel rooms? Not for us, the tap water's fine. The shower head in our room (1023) was loose and the slide rail positioned such that it couldn't go higher than my wife's shoulders (and she's only 5'6"). A minor point. They double charged us for a shuttle to the hotel but that was an accident quickly rectified.

But that's all a sideshow. When you work in a service industry your most valuable assets are your customers, and they're only as loyal as the afterglow from their most recent trip there. Omni knows this and has clearly gone out of its way to secure loyal, hardworking staff who like what they do and give each of their customers the impression that they're the only ones in the building. So Omni has us as long as we take trips to San Francisco, as far as I'm concerned.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank RothBs
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We are currently staying here and can't fault this hotel. The staff are so incredibly friendly and welcoming. They always greet us and remember our baby girl's name.
The rooms are large and very clean and the bed is extremely comfortable. We've slept so well here!
The little touches have been so lovely - from the complimentary fresh fruit and apple cider in the lobby to the little notes from housekeeping and the umbrellas for use, this hotel is awesome! We will certainly return.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank BecM_11
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here mostly because we had free nights at the Omni through the select guest program. Overall, it was a great choice. The location is good, if not ideal for the type of tourists we are. It is in the financial district so the area is very quiet and all restaurants are closed on weekends. Still, it is a 10 minute walk to the Ferry Building or Chinatown, so we had no trouble finding breakfast. We were upgraded to a suite upon arrival (I think this is related to the select guest membership, which I highly recommend!) and received a plate of cheese, meats, and nuts free of charge. The staff were all very responsive and helpful throughout our stay. If I came back to SF, I might not stay here, but prefer to be near Hayes Valley or the Mission District. Still, this was a great location for us this time!

1  Thank fergy2186
Reviewed February 17, 2013

It's always a treat when I can reserve a room at an Omni hotel while traveling. If it's offered then I will book a room without hesitation due to my previous experiences with this chain. My stay at this location was no exception.

The hotel is a short walk from the Bart station. The hotel sits prominently on the corner of California and Montgomery. Each staff member greeted me with a smile and they were very attentive and personable. My room was spacious, the decor was perfect and it was located on the top floor which eliminated street noise (I'm a light sleeper).

Pros: Great value, service, location, a big hotel chain which thinks its a small boutique property which caters to every single customer.

Cons: Hmmm... Good question!?

Room Tip: Request a high floor to minimIze street noise
2  Thank lrgayles
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a one night getaway the weekend before Valentine's Day. Upon arrival at the hotel, we were greeting very promptly by the valet parking attendant and our car was taken immediately. Check in was a breeze. I was barely able to sit down and really enjoy the lobby before my husband came back and told me that we were all checked in and ready to go. He also told me that we were given a free upgrade to a suite. Sweet!! Our room was on the 13th floor, and it was a corner suite. The room was beautiful and spacious. The bed was very comfortable, and the linens were luxurious. I was pleasantly surprised that our room had a sound machine, ear plugs, and a sleep mask ready upon our arrival. I usually sleep with a fan for the white noise, but I didn't bring it with me on this trip. Why these were in our room, I'm not sure because my husband didn't ask for them ahead of time. They must have just known our needs before we even arrived. We were going to see a show at the Orpheum and had a cab reserved via a cab app for 7:30. The doorman was very polite as we waited for our cab. After 10 minutes, I was getting very nervous about arriving late for the show because our cab had not arrived yet. (I don't recommend this approach to getting a cab FYI). The doorman realized that our cab was taking a very long time so he called over the house town car and had it take us to the theater free of charge. I was impressed with this and very grateful as well since we were getting nervous about arriving to the show on time. It was just another way this hotel went above and beyond. After a good nights sleep, I enjoyed the spacious shower with the jets on the wall. At first, we couldn't figure out how they worked so we called the front desk for help. They sent someone up immediately to show us how, but fortunately, we had figured it out by then. I would recommend this hotel over and over again to people. It's beautiful, in the middle of everything, and the customer service is excellent.

2  Thank AlyJoy716