“Omni-licious”

Omni San Francisco Hotel
Ranked #3 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 4, 2008

We recently stayed for my young daughters birthday. I was a little nervous because I did not know how they would recieve a us since we had a young child. But that was allieviated when we entered the room and there was a chocolate cake , milk and a birthday card waiting for her. She was so excited!! From the time you walk in the staff is so welcoming and friendly. The room was clean, elegant ,quiet and comfortable. Room service was expensive but prompt and friendly. The beds were so comfortable we stayed in on a Friday night. The staff really do their best to accomodate your every night.
Cons: The Wolfgang Puck coffee that is supplied in the room. You can avoid this by becoming a Select member.. and you will get free coffee and newspaper in the morning. This was an inside hint that I got on from this site.
Suggestions: Would like them to give a little freebie like other hotels i.e. wine and cheese or continental breakfast.
Overall I loved it and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank lizzard701

Reviewed March 3, 2008

I don't know where to begin. This hotel from start to finish was amazing. By far the best service I have ever experienced anywhere. The reservation process was smooth and easy and it just got better once we arrived. The staff at the Omni really goes that extra mile to impress their guests. It was my mom's 60th birthday and they had champagne and a lovely piece of cake waiting for us when we returned from our day in the city. The door man was so charming, he handed my mom a rose and told her happy birthday. The check in process was quick and efficient. We arrived early and had no problem getting our room. I requested the lowest floor available, the man at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. Our room was beautiful and comfortable. The beds are super soft and the bathroom was very nice as well (huge tub, nice bath products!). The hotel provided a black towncar to take us to dinner, the driver was helpful and also very nice. My only regret was that we only had one night at the Omni. I can't wait to return with my husband on our next trip to SF. We visit the city 3-4 times per year and the Omni is most definitely my favorite hotel ever. It is a very short walk to Union Square (about 10 minutes) and the cable cars run in front of this hotel. North Beach is also very close. I can't say enough good things about this hotel and would highly recommend staying here! It just goes to show you that there are still places out there that put the customer first and go that extra mile to make their guests happy. Bravo Omni..

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank kobesmom
Reviewed February 28, 2008

We had a great weekend getaway planned and were looking forward to our stay at the Omni. The valet parking is 51.00/day but we were directed to a garage up the street for a weekend rate of 7/day. Nice downtown location withing walking distance of shopping and dining. Lobby and restaurant were very nice. My wife's martini was $15 and my beer was about $7. Don't drink too much there. The room we had had a great king bed, super comfy. Old style TV set looked out of place but worked fine. Immaculate rooms and very nice appointments. We were disappointed that our in-room high speed internet did not work. Called customer support 2x but no dice. Mentioned it to the front desk people and they shrugged it off as no big deal and didn't offer to try to make it right for us. Needless to say we didn't get any work done in the evenings but I guess that it wasn't meant to be. So all in all we had a good time at an upscale hotel with crappy internet service.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bajabob
Reviewed February 25, 2008

Spent a two night stay at the Omni San Francisco in January 2008. As a member of their frequent guest program I was sent a coupon for 1/2 off the weekend rate and was able to use it. The staff is excellent. From the on-the-spot front doormen to the absolutely perfect front desk clerk (Bridget? not sure but hope that's correct) I couldn't have been more impressed. Because it was our first stay at this property we were upgraded to a Signature room. The room was beautiful and spotless. Very upscale furnishings and fabrics. The Pecksniff's and Moulton Brown toiletries were much appreciated. Mornings we received complimentary coffee and fresh squeezed OJ delivered to the door along with a newspaper. That perk is yours if you sign up with Omni's frequent guest program online. Overall the hotel was in top notch condition and kept spotless. We enjoyed breakfast both mornings in the dining room. As it usually is with hotel dining rooms the prices were pretty steep for breakfast. However, it was convenient for us and worked out fine. Having lived in San Francisco I would say that the location is definitely geared to the business travelers. It is located in the financial district and is a short walk to the more touristy areas, such as Union Square. The Omni offered us complimentary town car service to Davies Symphony hall which was a very nice surprise! Overall we were treated very well. This was one of the finest properties we've stayed in and it's no surprise it's rated number one in San Francisco. Would return without hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LeoLion69
Reviewed February 16, 2008

Just a short note to explain to you why I will never stay in another Omni Hotel.

I reserved a Signature Room at the Omni San Francisco Hotel through Hotels.com for 4 nights, arriving August 31 and leaving September 4, 2007.

When I arrived at the hotel I was informed that they had over-booked their rooms. I was told that I would be put in a lower cost standard room, a room without the Signature Room complimentary services. Needless to say, I was not happy about paying the Signature price for the lower cost room, this because I had paid in advance.

When I complained, I was offered a free breakfast. After I refused to accept the room they had offered, I was finally given a Signature Room. No doubt some other poor schmuck got stuck paying top dollar for a standard room. A first-class hotel would never have suggested downgrading a paying customer, regardless of how or how much they paid. But then, Omni isn’t a first-class hotel.

Once I had checked into my Signature accommodations, everything was fine except for one minor detail. On Monday morning, September 3, while entering the bathroom in my suite, I stepped on a carpet nail that was protruding upward out of the carpet in front of the bathroom door. I didn’t think I needed to be concerned about walking barefoot in my own room, not in a first-class hotel.

I wasn’t as angry about being injured by Omni’s negligence as I was by their response. When I contacted the front desk and explained that a nail had punctured my toe and that I was bleeding profusely, their staff offered me a band-aid. Given the fact that I was in pain and limping, given the fact that I now had to contact my doctor to find out when I last had a tetanus shot, given the fact that I now had to worry about catching some horrible disease from the last person who impaled themselves on their carpet nail - I would have expected a first-class hotel to be more consolatory than to offer me a band-aid.

After I returned to my room, the Omni staff sent me a note stating that they were unable to find the nail that had injured me. They insisted that I point out the nail to their building engineer, which I did. As their building engineer was pounded the offending nail back into the floor, he stated that he discovered 2 more nails protruding upward out of the carpet in the same general area. I wasn’t aware that I was entering a “mine field” when I checked into the Omni hotel.

But the final straw occurred as I was checking out of the hotel. The desk clerk inquired as to my stay. I explained the whole sordid tale, the nail, the blood, the limping, everything. I then asked what was the best way to get to the Oakland Airport. To add insult to injury, she suggested that I walk 4 blocks to the BART station.

Once I returned home, I contacted the Omni management to complain. The hotel manager promised to send me a voucher for several free nights stay. This never happened. A first-class hotel manager would have been a man of his word.

But then, Omni isn’t a first-class hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
26  Thank DesignrLA
Reviewed February 9, 2008

I stayed here overnight on a quick business trip to San Francisco. The room and service were quite good.

For tourists paying their own way, however, the extra fees are excessive. The business center is deficient, and the fees for using the computer and fax machine are high. Mini bar charges are also excessive.

Breakfast at the hotel restaurant was good but also overpriced -- $25 for a basic eggs, toast etc. As is usual with high-end hotels, the extra costs are excessive and annoying.

• Stayed: January 2008
4  Thank StraightScoopDC
Reviewed February 8, 2008

This property feels very luxurious, and the rates aren't bad either.

Nice lobby, accomodating and friendly front desk staff. Rooms are very comfortable with soft beds and great bathroom amenities. The shower was great too (good water pressure, which I find is often a problem). Decor was classy.

Windows in room don't keep out any street noise, but at least they opened to let some fresh air in.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to tourists - it's in the financial district and I found I needed to walk quite a bit to even find restaurants that were open for dinner past 7:00 PM

I had trouble with the in-room internet - the hotel was not helpful.

Other than that, I had a great stay.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business