9 people are viewing this hotel
$599
Free cancellation until 06/02/22
$599
Free cancellation until 06/03/22
Reserve now, pay at stay
Destinia.com
$588
Free cancellation until 06/03/22
Omni Hotels$599
Hotels.com$599
Lol.travel$749
6,208 results
All reviews the financial district union square beautiful hotel lobby city embarcadero valet cable cars robes bart
Selected filters
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We've stayed in San Francisco a few times prior to this trip, and the Omni is definitely the best hotel experience we've had. We generally come to SF every year around the same time on account of a cycling event in Santa Rosa. This year, the hotel prices were exceptionally high due to a few events that coincided (a big Oracle convention along with Fleet Week), so we waited to book. The Omni ended up having a reasonable rate, and given the high Trip Advisor ranking, it seemed like a sure bet. We were not disappointed! The location of the Omni is perfect - a stone's throw from the Ferry Building and Chinatown, and a short walk to Union Square. It is a very safe area, not nearly as hectic as Union Square, which is sometimes a good thing!

The bellman Adam was very helpful upon arrival and offered immediately to store the bike box and car seat for us. The room was on the smaller side, but very well appointed and clean. The linens were of high quality and the bed really comfortable. They provided our four year old with a back pack of activities, and also sent up milk and cookies each night, which was a really nice touch. The Nespresso machine was fabulous. As others have indicated, sign up for the loyalty program for free wi-fi and a complimentary beverage service in the morning. The fitness centre is clean and spacious.

We didn't eat at the restaurant, but the hotel's concierge, John, was very helpful in making lots of suggestions, based on our wishes. Top notch service! We ended up dining at Webster's around the corner (the best meal we had all week in SF...) as well as the Tyler Florence restaurant just next to it...reservations are a must there!

We will definitely be returning!

• Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank FamfromVancouver
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Traveled to San Francisco as a solo traveler to celebrate a special occasion. It was a great trip. I explored the city (tourist and neighborhoods) with great shopping and meals in a long weekend. I'd go again without hesitation.

The Omni was a nice hotel and in retrospect, I was glad it was away from the crowded touristy attractions (think lots of people and a push to get into the hotel lobby-ugh). The hotel is located in the financial district and is 4 blocks from the metro. I took it at 7pm in the evening and had no problems. Only do this if you're traveling light- there are stairs going up at your arrival location.

Rooms are styled in typical Omni style (think conservative colonial) but are well appointed with luxury details. Service is outstanding- the front desk is to be commended for true 5 star service. You can trust the staff for excellent food recommendations. Front of the building has better 'views' (street scene). For me, it was quiet but a very light sleeper might be bothered by the street car that runs in front of the hotel. Join the loyalty program before you go and you will receive free wifi. The lobby bar is a good (but expensive) hangout if you're coming in from a redeye flight.

You are around the corner from Chinatown (good eats), 2 blocks from the Pier/Waterfront. I felt safe walking during the day and early evening. It is not a neighborhood hopping with nightlife- you'll have to taxi out but it is very nice to return and recharge from the crowds. In this location, you can explore a street fair, take a short zip line (over the open area in front of the pier- it looked fun), walk along the Pier and browse a smaller open air stalls (think upscale gift shops) in the pier building a few blocks from the hotel.

Although the street car runs in front of the hotel, it is not your best option. It is expensive, ($8.00) and there is no on and off. Each time you come on, you pay. One on and off stop could cost a family of four enough for dinner. No wonder they only had a few unsuspecting tourists during my stay.

With that said, San Francisco is not a walkable city. One look at the steep streets will quickly force you to go to plan B. As I did not want the bother of renting a car, my plan B was to purchase a 2 day pass ($50- all access) on one of the sightseeing buses that run on loop in the various SF neighborhoods (Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf, Haight-Ashbury, Chinatown). Depending upon your package, you have the opportunity to go to other destinations outside of the city. I used this package to tour the bridge, shop the neighborhoods throughout the day and tour a small waterfront town just outside of the city throughout the weekend. No charge for getting on and off.

I took one loop to get a feel for the city and spent the rest of the time getting on and off to explore and shop in the different neighborhoods. Haight-Ashbury was a blast (think retro 60's) with nice shopping and cheap eat restaurants for lunch. Union Square was shopping and Fisherman's Wharf was tons of crowds but a great area for young children (small parks to run around, stroller friendly streets, people watching bars for the parents to chill out at).

Other things to do... take a ferry to Saucilito, a small waterfront town to browse the art galleries. Rent a bike and take a guided tour across the Bridge (bike over, ferry back). Take a Segway tour of the neighborhoods. Best shopping (think funky shops, not national malls) is in Haight-Ashbury neighborhoods. There is a nice Macy's and Bloomingdales in Union Square for the mall deprived.

The hotel front staff is excellent and extremely well versed about the city, but if you're looking for neighborhood nightlife, (jazz, clubs, brunch), I'd use your 'free' wifi to browse Yelp and find recommendations to plan your non-touristy excursions. This worked well for me and allowed me to find an amazing small, neighborhood jazz brunch for Sunday morning and fun evening out. As an experienced (and hopefully smart) traveler, I used the internet for choices and then vetted transportation/neighborhoods/reputation with the front desk after to make sure I was informed with the best choice as a solo traveler.

In summary: Upscale luxury hotel, excellent staff and service. Good location- away from the crowds but close enough to Chinatown to explore. Be sure to use your AAA card (best rate) and sign up for the loyalty program (free wifi) for the best experience.

The TripAdvisor community has been great. Thanks for your reviews- hope this was helpful in return.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
8  Thank Tvl_bluepass
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Please note that we were fortunate to be able to stay here at a pretty reduced rate, so I am reviewing this as a bit of a bargain given the location. If I had paid $500/night, I might be thinking a bit differently. But with that said, we thoroughly enjoyed the extremely clean, quiet and comfortable environment at the Omni and the service was even better. Rainy day? They can't wait to provide an umbrella. Want directions? They can't wait to bring them. Need a restaurant that delivers late at night? No problem! The coffee, tea and newspaper service was right on time. This is not the place for those seeking a Residence Inn-type free breakfast or separate dining area, so keep that in mind. But for a couple seeking a great stay in a terrific location - it would be tough to beat. We are very veteran San Francisco travelers and this was at the top of our list.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2011

This hotel is clean, central and a decent price. Fisherman's Wharf is a 20 min walk. Coit tower and lombard street are all within walking distance. The staff are friendly and helpful.

I would stay at this hotel again. There are a couple of nice cafes for breakfast near the hotel, however note that on the weekends these are all closed.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Sh00741
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We stayed at the Omni San Francisco Hotel for 2 nights in early Oct 2011. Originally this hotel was outside our price range though after a rather unpleasant night at another hotel near Fisherman's Wharf I called to see if they had a room. They did (and at a great price) so 30 minutes later the four of use (me, wife, 9yo & 5yo) were moving in. Our room was ready at 11am which was great, we had two double bed which worked for us. Our stay was over a Friday & Saturday, I suspect their less busy nights. The rooms were a good size and quite reflective of what was advertised on their website. The hotel is in what they call the Financial District which is a ghost town on the weekend for 1km in any direction. That said Union Square and Chinatown are within easy walking distance - 10 to 15 min. The restaurant was very expensive so we ate at a great steakhouse just down the road Tadish Grill (they claim to be SF oldest restaurant) which was excellent. We had breakfast included in our package which was 4 x $30 vouchers which easily fed the four of us. I can recommend at stay at this hotel.

Room tip: Sign up for free as a Omni member and get free WiFi.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family