“I love this hotel - service is spot on”

Courtyard San Francisco Downtown
Ranked #64 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“I love this hotel - service is spot on”
Reviewed September 9, 2009

I have stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown San Francisco. This is my 6th time at this hotel over the past two years.

The rooms are always clean and comfortable and there is free high speed internet. If you didn't bring your computer they offer free computers in the lobby.

They offere a small indoor pool and great hot tub that is in doors as well.

It's nice having a starbucks in the lobby.

Ask for a room tier 22 on a high floor for a great view of the bay bridge

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Sacramento
Reviewed September 9, 2009

Stayed at this hotel, very nice property and the room was reasonably priced. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful, two room suite was very clean and well appointed. Since I had not spent a lot of time in SF I generally wasn't aware of the cost of the city. Very high, everywhere, especially for food, that's not of the fast food variety. In the hotel itself, $16 for a room service burger and $18 for the breakfast buffet. Strangely, the Starbucks in the hotel and 24 snack bar were priced very reasonably. There are generally no pizza chains such as Round Table, that I could find. We ordered local pizza and had it delivered to the hotel, which was very good but expensive ($58 for two pizzas with salad). We went to a Giants game, ATT park is only .7miles from the hotel and there is a very cheap all day parking lot for $8 which we parked at for the game. Bought tickets the day of the game (ATT Park is awesome). Giants tickets are not overly expensive except for behind home plate ($77 compard to $43 or so at Coors Field). Most hotels in the city have a parking fee, the Marriot's was $50. It's a valet service with unlimited privileges and I can say that SF is one of the worst places to take a car and then try to find parking. All in all a great hotel with great service. We went to many other locations in the city and didn't really feel like there was someplace else that was better in terms of location. SF is fairly easy to get around in with a car. Lots of boutique type restaurants and many are hidden, local knowledge is helpful to a good dining experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Barcelona
Reviewed September 9, 2009

I’ve chosen that hotel because I’ve always been enthusiastic about Marriot hotels. However that one wasn’t like I expected. OK, the room is very clean and comfortable. Internet with printer at the reception (nice facility). However we were 4 and everyday we were obliged to ask for more shampoo and bath-soap (they just put one for each day). One day the service room entered in the room 5 seconds after knocking the door. They could have waited a little bit more, I don’t have time enough to open the door by myself.
The swimming pool was broken and I couldn’t manage to get miles because the reservation was in my father’s name… Ok…
I prefer the NHs Hotels in Spain. Similar category, but some details are better.
Despite of all (which I consider minors problems considering the global quality of the hotel), I still recommend the Marriot and I think that is a very good hotel.
Pd. Better find a parking nearby, we managed to find one with a really good price (we stayed 5 days). 45 dollars is too much expensive! I don’t remember the place but we managed to pay just 20 dollars and it was 5 min. walking.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 1, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Courtyard for 4 nights and we were very pleased we choose this property for our stay. We asked for a high floor on the off street side which was accommodated by TJ with no problem.He gave us a 16th floor end of the hall suite overlooking downtown and it was perfect..We didn't hear nothing for the entire 4 night stay!!We literally thought the Hotel was ours alone for the duration of the stay. All the staff was friendly when we seen them and the room was defiantly among the top we have stayed in San Francisco...Its 4 blocks to the BART Montgomery Station and AT&T park is 4 blocks the opposite direction.We have been to San Fran many times and this is one of the places I would return to with no Hesitation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We reserved our room at the Courtyard by Marriott months in advance for this family vacation. One VERY important element of any of our hotel reservations is that the hotel must have a pool for our kids. Well, we arrive at the Courtyard by Marriott only to be told the pool is closed for renovation. Are you kidding me?? The staff apologized and said that we could use the pool at the Conference Center Marriott (a 10-12 minute walk) for a fee of $10 per person. Are you kidding me?? After stating my displeasure they said they would pay for the Marriott pool fee for us - thanks but no thanks. Why not notify us about the pool renovation in their confirmation email we received just days before our arrival?? This is the second year in a row we had issues with a Courtyard by Marriott hotel - last year we arrived at another Courtyard by Marriott only to find out they gave our room away and had no room for us...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2009

Booked the hotel online for a reasonable rate and had expected a good hotel for the Marriot name. Front desk staff were helpful and friendly and check-in was smooth. The room however was gloomy, smelly and was not attractive. I was pretty disappointed. Internet was free though. Bathroom was equally unimpressive.

Used the gym which was okay but given that the hotel was very very busy, there was often a wait for a machine (there were very few machines). Never used the pool.

Location was not the best. I was in San Francisco for work and didn't have a car so walked a lot (which is fine in San Francisco) but south of Market can be pretty quiet and a little bit eery.

Had a strange experience with the concierge when organising a car to take me to a business meeting. He seemed intent in booking a car for me for the return journey when I only needed one way and also to the airport when I wasn' t sure I'd need it a few days in advance. When I didn't use the return journey with the care service (and the car driver knew this and hadn't expected me either) I received a phone call from the concierge asking me my whereabouts and if I had used a car service etc for all of my journeys. I'm not really used to having to explain my whereabouts to a hote! Given his keen interest in my travel plans I can only assume he receives some kind of fee if I used the car service he had called for me. It was pushy and not a positive experience.

The restaurant was fine, breakfast was good and staff were generally very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank stevenr35
Lake Forest, CA
Reviewed August 25, 2009

So first thing we check in, and on the counter is a letter stating that the pool is down for maintainence, which I thought, if it had been planned, couldn't they have told us, or if it was unplanned it was ok, BUT THEN, they had the audacity to say that we could use the Marriott on 4th's pool FOR $10 bucks a day. That was ridiculous.
Second, my partner and I forgot Q-tips, so I call down to the front desk to ask for some "We don't have any, but you can PURCHASE some from the Marketplace" Really? I've stayed at many Marriotts and never not been able to get basic toiletries from the hotel if I've forgotten them.
Third, the Starbucks on-site, in what was a crowded hotel, which caters to business travellers and tourist who are in and out all day, closed at 2pm on the weekdays and 12pm on the weekends. And they were the only Starbucks for a couple blocks. Not customer friendly.
Fourth, there was no WiFi in the rooms. I have never stayed at a Marriott without WiFi available.
This was the worst Marriott hotel I've ever been to and will not return to this location.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple