“Great place if you're in town for a Moscone conference and don't need a pool”

Courtyard San Francisco Downtown
Ranked #63 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Seattle
“Great place if you're in town for a Moscone conference and don't need a pool”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Three nights there on a business trip. It's in a less hinky area than the other hotels around the Moscone center--the walk home at night wasn't so, um....interesting. It's a smaller property and lower key than the nearby Marriott Marquis and other bigger hotels, which I like. Low-key is good after a stressful work day at the Moscone. There's no fancy top floor bar like at the Marquis. Even so, there's still a *reasonably priced* and decent bar and restaurant, and a decent-enough deli/wine shop right across the street in case you want to grab a sandwich and bottle of wine. Osha Thai, a block away, has decent Americanized Thai food.

Rooms were clean and comfortable and up to current, business-traveller standards. The clementina street side gets the sunset sun. The folsom street the sunrise sun, and the second street side the the afternoon sun. The rooms near the elevator on the first street side have a bay view facing northeast, but it's a distant bay view. Check GoogleMaps if lighting is important to you. It ain't motel 6; my room was $250 a night.

There's just one negative: the pool sucks. It's tiny, and in an approbriately tiny indoor room, and the hot tub whirlpool struck me as a human bacteria frap, ala Seinfeld. I opted out, and I'm a big fan of an evenning swim after a stressful work day. The smell of cholorine in that room burned my eyes. They should consider switching to a saline pool and getting some fans and/or ventilation in the pool room. Or, they could turn the courtyard--just a smoking area at this point--into a pool? (OK. That was for the Marriott people who I know will read this!)

Room Tip: Try to get above the 11th floor. The second street side is shadowed in the late afternoon. The quiet...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Stockton, CA
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Booked a king room with "bathroom-whirlpool" per the web description, was quoted $254, just under $300 after fees/tax. Had some awkwardness at checkin as another guest was unhappy with their room and was upgrading, during which we were given the room the other guest didn't want. Odd, but okay.
We get to our room, it's HC accessible. I don't mind, but would've liked to have been told and given the option to reselect, if this is the last room then I would've gone home as I don't like thinking I have the last HC room when I'm not deaf or disabled. Also, my big tub isn't in the bathroom- its next to the bed. I ran down to the front desk to ask if this was normal, to which I was told all the room are like this. The room description should have said "whirlpool in room".
The tub was mostly clean except around the water faucet and in the corners. Fill rate was good, water temp good, controls are odd but the part I disliked MORE than my tub not being in the bathroom is how slurpy and loud the drain is. Not to mention slow. Also, my room description lists a coffee maker, but we don't have one.
I like the location of this hotel, but I wouldn't come back unless it's a standard room and under $150 after taxes. For $300 I could've had a much nicer room/tub experience, more amenities and breakfast served in room at other properties and ones that were closer to home. The bed here is comfortable and I am relieved that with a tub in room the windows open, but the sheets are pilled and I was told there's room device, but they must've forgotten the menu or contact info. Little dissapointed about that. Really dissapointed overall.
We're still here, so I'll update on the overnight experience in the morning.

• Stayed September 2012
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Not much to write as I only stayed here for one night.. but liked the following:

* They allowed us to check in to our room very early - reception staff very friendly / helpful
* Very nice, upmarket / expensive look and feel to the hotel
* Great location for sightseeing
* Good views from the higher floors of the hotel
* Clean, comfortable, quiet room
* Free WiFi

If I come back to San Francisco again, I'll definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view room - good view of course, and also gets up away from road noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank UKchicane
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Great hotel for girl's getaway weekend! The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The breakfast buffet was very good and the staff were extremely personable and helpful. Nice bar area. Location is good for most everything in downtown area. The only complaint I have is there is no refrigerator in the room. Everything else was great!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is an excellent downtown hotel for my wife and I. It is comfortable and has decent access to bus and BART transportation. We were on the 10th floor and had no problems with noise. We did visit the bar but did not have any meals at the hotel. We did have coffee and snacks at the Starbucks, which is attached.

Room Tip: I like a high floor (for quiet) and request a city view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights over Labor Day weekend. The hotel is in a good location, under a 10 minute walk from the Bart, which we took from the SF airport. The beds were medium firmness and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We did not have a refrig in our room but needed one, so with a simple request, a refrig was delivered in minutes. We were able to bring some outside food to the hotel and eat in the open air lobby, which was nice. There are taxis always available. There is a 24 hour Subway just a few blocks away that we used for our daily breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank CLG4127
NeedhamAl
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed at the Courtyard for three nights on the first leg of a family vacation to California. The hote's location is a huge plus; it's about a five-minute walk to the BART/Muni station at Montgomery Street, where you can get to the Castro, Golden Gate Park and Hayes Valley, among other areas. It's also about a 7-minute walk to the "F" line (streetcar), which runs along the Embarcadero to Fishermans Wharf. And if you want to see a Giants game, it's one of the closest hotels to AT&T Park.

The room was clean and spacious. Internet access was reliable. The front desk was quite helpful. There is no free breakfast or free parking so build those into your budget. Like many Marriotts, there's a large lobby with comfortable seating as well as a lively bar and a Starbucks.
And like all Marriotts, the bed was SUPER comfortable.

The one complaint I have concerns cab service in the area. San Francisco is a notoriously bad city for getting a cab, and the one time we needed one, the front desk was far more optimistic about the time necessary to hail one than what turned out to be the case (35 minutes on a Friday night at about 7:45). To their credit, they did call for a cab, but when I had asked earlier in the day how long it would take to get a cab (because we had dinner reservations), I was told that cabs routinely stop in front of the hotel. This turned out to be less than accurate. I think generally that the all of the hotels need to be blunt with tourists about the cab problem, particularly on nights when the Giants have a home game.

That having been said, I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family