“At that price, it was a good deal..”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of da Vinci Villa

da Vinci Villa
Ranked #90 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Indore, India
“At that price, it was a good deal..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

The location was ok, not so far from main area i.e. fisherman's wharf.. But the room which we got was on 5th floor and on back side, to reach there it was a bit complicated because you have to change lifts and that too they are not together... But if you are staying on 5th floor you should ask for Golden Gate Bridge view room..

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Rochester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were first timers to SF and had decided to do one less day at Yosemite and one more day in SF. So I found "a deal" on Book It.com for Da Vinci Villa because lodging is very expensive there. Location isn't bad we walked to the Wharf without any problems and felt totally safe at night, but there isn't much around the motel. Not a Luxury Hotel, more of an old motel with a nice looking lobby and cheaply updated rooms. THE ROOMS HAVE NO AIR CONDITIONING, this is important if you are staying anytime Aug. - Oct. It's very loud you can hear everything outside the hotel and in the adjoining and surrounding rooms. I asked for a quite room so they put us on the backside of the building, fourth floor, facing a condo complex and parking lot. I had to sleep with ear plugs anyway. The ceiling fan made an annoying sound when on to at least move the air. The room was pretty clean the bathroom wasn't that clean though, the shelves and ledges in the room were dusty. The free breakfast is average, the waffle machines were not working the morning we stayed there, but they were working hard to fix the problem. The good - the bed was comfortable, and the staff were great - very nice and helpful. I would not stay there again for the price. Overall SF was okay, I think I expected too much. Not as many beautiful things to see as i expected. There were a lot of travelers there from other countries that were very rude and impatient. Being from the Midwest I expected the same kind of treatment I'm used to back home. Hope this helps some.

Room Tip: stay on a higher floor possibly poolside or on the back of the building
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Starkville, Mississippi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

I really hate to give a poor review, but the purpose of TripAdvisor is to tell fellow travelers of your experience. First let me say, this was my very first trip to San Francisco and it's just an expensive place to stay. I really had sticker shock will hotel prices all together. I'm use to very nice hotels in Vegas, San Antonio, Gulf Coast area, etc....but this place is just different. The da Vinci Villa website uses words like "Premier" and "Luxury" and newly opened in 2011 to describe this place. I just have a different definition of those words.

This place reminds me of a 1970's / 1980's Days Inn that I would stay at as a child! Here are the reasons for poor review.....
1) my room had NO air condition! I'm serious! I didn't know there were hotels without air conditioning! 2) as previous reviews have mentioned, you can hear everything! It sounded like a basket ball team was staying in the room above me! Didn't matter if it was early in the morning of late late at night, always noisy above me. Couldn't sleep. 3) ridiculous vertical blinds on sliding glass door. Let me explain....to try and generate air flow and maybe some consistent humming noise to drown out the other noise, I turned the fan on high. No satisfaction due to the ridiculous verticle blinds banging together. Please go put them back in the mobile home they must have came from. 4) there is no tub. When I think luxury, I think nice hot relaxing bath at some point during a stay. I could ramble on, with negatives, but I won't.

I do have some good things to say! 1) the staff was very nice (the couldn't help me with air conditioning, but that not their fault). 2) my room was clean when I checked in and cleaned daily during my 4 night stay. 3) the beds were very comfortable with nice linens. 4) LOCATION was the best thing about this place. Within walking distance to Attractions and public transportation. 5) price??? Well that's what brought me here in the first place. Normally I would expect a very nice hotel for the price they charge, but seems like a luxury hotel in this town can cost $300, $400, $500 + per night. I justified staying here thinking I would rather spend money doing fun stuff and I only planned on sleeping here because I would be out doing fun stuff from daylight til after dark.

Would I stay here again? Not likely. Would I recommend staying here to others? Not likely. But, as long as you know what you are getting and that you can pay lots more for a nicer place....at least you can make an informed decision.

My stay was from June 20 thru June 24 2013. Second floor, pool side. Loved San Francisco and all reviews of activities there are wonderful! Best wishes fellow travelers!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bwluvinlife
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is a great hotel in an expensive city. The only complaint is that the room was very hot even though it was cool outside, not sure why. They had a small, very loud air conditioner on the floor to turn on so that helped but again it was pretty loud. It was very clean and comfortable and in a great location!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Arriving at 2 A.M. w/o a reservation, during Gay Celebrations, I was fortunate to find a room in the city at all.

I found the night staff to be efficient.

My room was excellent. I was on the 2nd floor, room 222, [North - Rear side of hotel] on Filbert St., near enough to Van Ness St., to see/hear it. My view was limited to the typical San Francisco "Edwardian" style apartment buildings. The room was well stocked with coffees/tees and brewer. There was a "docking" type radio for an i-pod and a rather large flat-screen television with remote control. The bed was in white cotton linens of above average quality. I believe it was a queen sized bed.

The bathroom was done in a lite colored marble with step-in, sliding glass doors shower. The linens were perfectly white and softly fluffy. There was also a hair dryer and a very nice bathrobe in the same white terrycloth/quality as the towels.

Being a local [SF - kid] I appreciated the nice San Francisco Picture Book and "Things to do" magazine.

Complaints: I never could figure out how to turn on the bed-side lamps.
Compliments: Very courteous and friendly staff. The complimentary continental breakfast was of quantity and the cafe staff as hardworking and friendly as the hotel staff.

Overall - the quality was very good and for this town an excellent value.

Kevin Watkins - SF, CA

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Scunthorpe,England.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Having arrived from Vegas it was always going to be a bit of a come down,even so the room was quite small but very clean,the equivalent of a UK Travelodge.We were on the 3rd floor Filbert street and it was very noisey with traffic for our 3 days,no triple glazing here.
The walls as many others have said are really very thin,as an example, one family close by shouting bawling having a domestic,children shouting down the corridor and without sounding a prude i dont wish to hear the people above in the early hours having `adult fun`.
The breakfast was better than i expected no restrictions on drinks and the young bloke in there worked his socks off.
The reception staff didnt seem too bothered ,normally coming from England most people ive met always show an interest not this lot though.
Ten minute walk to Fishermans wharf and it did seem safe walking about,with good muni stops close by.
To sum up,if i ever decide to stay in San Francisco again i would do a bit more research and try and find something a bit better as it wasnt exactly cheap and i think there must be better places
to stay for the money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lufc67
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

This hotel has an excellent location in a very nice area of San Francisco. Very near the famous Lombard St and Girardhelli Sq. Rooms are comfortable and clean. Front Desk employees are OK and some of them quite helpful.The breakfast isn't the most outstanding feature: every morning something was missing or run out of it at 9:30am, like cofee or yoghurt,etc.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple