“Could do better”
Review of da Vinci Villa

da Vinci Villa
Ranked #112 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Having read other reviews, I booked with trepidation. first impressions were good as I waited at reception where other gursts were checking in. They were given parking space, given free wifi code and restuarant vouchers. When I checked I was told no parking spaces available (although there were plenty of empty spaces all weekend), wifi charged at $9.95 per 24 hours (they did offer use of the ipad in reception and use of the business centre), and after asking I was given a restuarant voucher. There obviously needs to be more consistency with treatment of guests at check in. As a result of parking request being turned down I reluctantly returned my car to airport (3 hour round trip). The room was fine albeit a little compact, but did have views over the Golden Gate bridge, The Hotel is still in final building stage, pool and deck area still to be finished. Restuarant, although it does not have a liquor licence was fine (liquir store right across street).
On check out the receptionist was bright and helpful. If management sort out reception this oculd be a great 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,056)

Reviewed September 26, 2011

Yes, I purchased one of the living social deals for a midweek stay as a birthday getaway for my boyfriend and me. When I read the reviews on Trip Advisor( no parking, no wine, no restaurant coupon, room condition, etc.) I freaked out and almost cancelled but decided to email the general manager of the hotel instead and express my concern. My email was promptly returned with assurance that she would make our trip as positive as possible. Michaela (da Vinci GM) even gave me a "heads up" on the current remodel of the pool area (which we didn't care about). Upon arrival, my boyfriend and I were greeted with extremely nice and professional staff. The lobby is beautiful and inviting, but the rooms are a bit sterile as stated by previous guests. However, it was clean, the bed comfortable and the bathroom towels (and amenities) were nice. Our promised bottle of wine was present with a nice bottle opener and a beautiful platter of assorted fruit, cheese and crackers. Plus, we had a view of the Golden Gate bridge. The restaurant coupon was handed to us upon check in but we didn't use it.

Can the rooms use improvement? Yes, with more artwork or some type of wall decor. Is the hotel worth $250/night as a previous reviewer paid? Probably not now, but it's definitely not a Tenderloin hotel either. It was conveniently located from Fisherman's Wharf ( a short 10 min. walk), Union Street (with all the boutique shops) and probably a 30/40 minute walk to Union Square (if you're an avid walker). I found the hotel to be quiet as far as the guests are concerned and not as noisy from the city traffic as the hotels downtown. Oveall, the staff and GM made our one night a pleasant experience and I would encourage LS voucher holders to go with a more positive attitude and remember you're not staying at the Ritz-Carlton. It was a nice hotel for the price, with exceptional staff and most important.....a clean room. Afterall, when in SF what are you doing hanging out in your room? One should be enjoying all the city has to offer:-)

Room Tip: If you really have a concern about this hotel, then I would email the GM and give her a heads up. T...
1  Thank Lori L
Reviewed September 25, 2011

ive been to SF before, but with hotel prices as high as they are, i took advantage of the living social deal. the lobby is very nice, but the room appeared to be very motel-like with a face-lift. it was very clean, and the furniture seemed to be new, but it is not worth the $250+ they charge per night, which i ended up having to pay since the living social deal was only good for two nights. i was excited about the pool from the picture on the website, but when i arrived, it was very dirty. when i finally decided to head down and get some sun halfway through my stay, it was closed, and under construction. there isn't much thats special about this place - its very overpriced for what they offer. i dont plan on staying here again, unless their rates drop to $100/night.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We came for a weekend trip with a living social voucher. Based on prior reviews I was a bit nervous, but everything worked great.

The hotel is newly renovated and very clean. It is a good 3-star hotel, but don't expect a four-star place like the Hilton or Fairmont. But you do get everything you need -- nice furniture, comfortable bed, hair dryer, robe, flat screen TV, nice soaps & shampoos, restaurant, etc. With a living social voucher, the value was distinctly better than any of the other three-star hotel in the city. The staff was very friendly (even refused tips) and helpful. Location is decent if you want to go to Fisherman's wharf, but a bit of hike (uphill) for other neighborhoods. Taking a bus to Union Square is also easy.

Room Tip: Our room (upper floor facing Van Ness) had a lovely view of the Golden Gate Bridge. The windows wer...
1  Thank Traveldad31
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I also used a Living Social voucher and was dissappointed. The room was very "sterile" - white walls, white ceiling, white window shades and white bed spreads - felt like being in a hospital room. Beds were comfortable; furniture was new, but very "bargain basement" basic. No in-room fridge. Room was just blah, no paintings, no plants, similar to what you might find at a low-end motel chain. TV didn't work, bathroom sink was slow to drain, and we never got our bottle of wine.

1  Thank ELDJIM
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I booked a stay via a recent Living Social deal ($169 for a weekend night with free parking, a bottle of wine and discount voucher for the restaurant). I know the hotel is relatively new, but check-in was extremely disorganized. In fact, they gave me my room key without telling me what room I was in, so I had to ask them where I was supposed to go. The employees were friendly, but they had no idea what was going on. I had to remind them periodically that the deal included parking before they finally gave me my parking pass.

As for the room, it was pretty bare-bones: No artwork, nothing, and a little bit dark. It did not look like the photos on the site. That said, it was clean and the bed was comfortable, so it was fine -- but I wouldn't describe it as luxurious or boutique-y. The bathroom was really small.

I didn't use the pool -- it looked scary and very green. Oh, and the elevator is really scary. If you look at the inspection certificate, it's been awhile since the last inspection!

As far as location, it's walking distance to the Marina and to Polk Street, but if you want to go anywhere else and need a taxi, it was next to impossible to catch a cab from here. There just aren't enough hotels in the area to make it a draw for taxis to stop there regularly.

Overall, it was a strange experience. Not my favorite hotel. It was fine for the price, but I probably wouldn't go back. I think there are better places to stay in SF.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed here for one night and had purchased the Living Social voucher. I thought I was getting a great deal because for $139/night I was supposed to get a bottle of wine and a 25% off voucher for their restaurant. I compared the regular rate for the hotel and saw I was going to be saving about $80. The lobby is very pretty and the staff were very nice and welcoming. However, that's about all I can say positive about this place! I feel completely ripped off and wasted $139!

I stayed on the 5th floor and was told that the elevator didn't go to the 5th floor, only the 4th and then I woulld need to take the stairs one flight up to my room. That's insane! Why have elevators if they don't go all the way to the top floor? The rooms all open to the outside and it really does remind me of a cheap motel. I had to walk by the huge air conditioning and water heaters that sat on the roof of the building just to get to my room. Arriving there at night, I truly felt unsafe and didn't know who was lurking around the corner! Also, there's a separate entrance to the hotel right off the main street that isn't locked or monitored and anybody could have entered and gone straight up to the elevator. It was VERY sketchy!!!

The rooms at least were clean but as someone else wrote in a prior review, it looks like they just slapped on some new white paint and therefore, were able to call it a "deluxe" room. The bottle of wine that came with my voucher couldn't have cost more than $2.50 and there was a "Trader Joe's" wine opener to use. I didn't even bother opening it! I never saw a 25% off coupon for the restaurant and even if I had, I probably wouldn't have gone because it was some crappy pizza joint next door.

There is no BART station even remotely within walking distance so I had to take a $10 cab ride just to get to the closest BART station. I'm incredibly disappointed with the money I spent. I would have gone to the lobby to try to get a refund but was too tired and had to leave too early to make my flight home to even bother. I just hope that no one makes the same mistake I made and wastes their money unless you enjoy the sleazy and cheap motel experience.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family