“Actually worth the brunch wait.”
Review of Outerlands

Outerlands
Ranked #278 of 5,767 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Sunset District
Cross street: 45th Ave.
Transit: Muni: N-Judah, 46th Ave. stop; Bus: #18, 46th Ave. stop.
Description: Locally sourced, organic fare served in a handcrafted setting.
Reviewed January 29, 2015

Stopped in on a Saturday morning for brunch knowing in advance we'd be waiting a while to be seated. We were right - our wait was almost an hour. (In that time you can go next door and wait in line for 20 minutes at Trouble Coffee Co to get some fancy toast to hold you over!) Being from out of town I had no idea what to expect - I was impressed all around with our food. Service wasn't impeccable but there was nothing wrong with it either. Our food on the other had was some of the best brunch food I've ever had, and our whole table felt the same way. Collectively we enjoyed the daily quiche, eggs-in-jail (OMG), and the pastrami sandwich. We also LOVED the hot ginger apple cider. Rarely do I enjoy waiting in line to be seated, and maybe that even changed my experience here, but I would wait an hour to eat here again hands down. There are plenty of benches around the restaurant to relax and hang out with friends on a nice day - absolutely worth it.

Date of visit: January 2015
Write a reviewReviews (211)

Reviewed January 11, 2015

Unless you are in the neighborhood, I don't know if you'll have reason to visit Outerlands. Aside from its proximity to the beach, it is removed from all the iconic tourist attractions you'd associate with San Francisco.

This is a lively place with a noticeably youthful and energetic clientele that was hopping from the time we arrived until, I am sure, well after our departure. They have a well stocked bar, including one of my favorite rums made in Guayana - El Dorado (5yr, 12 yr and 21 yr - try all three).

Service was a little bit awkward at time. I mentioned this early on in our visit - something that was corrected and more than compensated for by the very generous and gracious general manager (if you are reading this - thank you so much!).

The food was well prepared, embracing a variety of intriguing ingredients, spices and flavors. My favorites were the Clam Stew as a main course (the Fettucine was delightful as well) and the Chocolate and Honey dessert with crispy Forbidden Rice.

Order the Levain bread. It is delicious. If you have the Clam Stew, save some for sopping up the extra broth.

While I am not in that part of town on a regular basis, I would return, opting for a seat at the bar. This would provide a better view and allow me to engage in conversation with some of the locals obviously out for a good time.

Date of visit: January 2015
1  Thank Jeffrey S
Reviewed January 1, 2015

We popped in here for dinner before catching the Muni (stops right near it) for a show in the city. We had a reservation and were seated after a few minutes wait. The decor is very interesting, with wavy, ship-like wood decor on the ceiling. The restaurant was too cold, and we think we actually saw blankets at the tables near the door!

After 45 minutes we had only been served drinks and appetizer, so we ended up having to get our salad and soup to go to eat on the Muni! The quinoa salad was excellent, as was the bisque, but the service was far too slow. It is a small restaurant and it was packed, so they obviously needed some more staff. We would try it once more on another trip out to this great part of town!

Date of visit: December 2014
Reviewed December 2, 2014

The atmosphere is great. Beautifully remodeled. You could do a lot worse for lunch than here. The food is very tasty. They bake their own bread throughout the day and do a marvelous job of it. Soup was light and delicious. Service was great.

So why not four or five stars? Simply put, the price is a bit high for soup and sandwiches. A bit much for a routine lunch stop.

For a business lunch or a special stop on a walk down the beach, definitely this is the place. Try it for yourself and see what you think.

Date of visit: July 2014
Reviewed November 3, 2014 via mobile

Food is ok, but only four dinner choices. Service started slow, but was ok. The mussels were tasty and was a large portion. Not sure how this place gets along with such a limited menu.

2  Thank Allan S