“Great Meal...after a lengthy wait”
Review of Outerlands

Outerlands
Ranked #271 of 5,861 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Sunset
Cross street: 45th Ave.
Transit: Muni: N-Judah, 46th Ave. stop; Bus: #18, 46th Ave. stop.
Description: Locally sourced, organic fare served in a handcrafted setting.
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My daughter and I had just been to Crissy field to watch some Luis Vuitton Americas Cup boat racing. Had a great view from the water front area near Golden Gate Yacht Club. Decided we wanted to stop somewhere for a late afternoon bit....and I thought about Outerlands. I had heard about this restaurant a few months before....and it was on the route home through the city.

Upon arrival...there was quite a wait. We were told about 40 minutes by the iPad toting greeter...and we put our name on his list. Was very cool...not only does he carry the iPad with the list of people waiting...but he texts you with your status. Very organized....and I wasn't concerned about having to protect our place in the line.

We went down the street to a local coffee place....which was a great experience on it's own. Then wandered back up to wait. So, we knew we had a wait....that was an expected reality.

Once we had our table...sitting outside next to the restaurant. We got to enjoy some really great brunch type food. We both enjoyed very much. The menu is rather limited....but for a brunch type of food...it was excellent.

I would go back....but now that I've experienced it, i wouldn't wait the amount we did on this visit.

Enjoy

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This place is awesome!! The food is exquisite and the place is super cosy. A little pricey but soooooo worth it. And homemade bread, yum! Also the desserts are incredible (like the best things you've ever tasted). If I lived in San Fran I would pinch pennies just to go here for dinner every week or two!!

The only downfall of the restaurant is that the wait can be longish. There's a coffee shop down the block towards the water that you could hang out at or go for a walk on the beach which is close by. It IS worth the wait!! Also, I heard they were expanding the space so maybe that will decrease wait times.

PLEASE GO HERE, YOU WILL BE HAPPY!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Loved the food and ambiance. My only complaint was that there were too few entree selections. Also, I didn't like having to give my credit card number to reserve a table. With such a small restaurant, this shouldn't be a requirement.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Outerlands
Context: Saturday night dinner with a 7pm reservation for four.
Atmosphere: the restaurant is small. You walk in to a small open area and there are tables lining the wall, maybe ten tables or so. On the other side is the actual kitchen, which, if you are standing, you can see into. Outside, on the 45th street side they have what they call "patio" seating. There are about six kind of rickety tables and chairs, some very serious heat lamps and a little park let kind of area where some people sat, waiting for their table. Neither the outside or the inside seemed particularly noisy. We sat outside for three hours and were not bothered in the least by traffic. It was plenty warm with the heatlamps but they also offer blankets.
Service: service was a bit of a mixed bag. There was one young man that was super friendly and chatty, our server who was kind of reserved and some might be frustrated with her pacing (it could take a long time between appearances), and a busy but somewhat attentive inside staff.
We never felt rushed even though it probably took us 45 minutes to get it together to order.
Food: its a small menu with maybe five starters and four entrees and a few sides. Prices are high and servings are average (I did not finish my main but the rest of the table finished theirs). We did buy the optional levain bread which is baked on site. It's a thick white bread served with cultured butter, tasty with a crunchy exterior and somewhat fine crumb. We started with their fresh baby octopus dishe which was served with a cherry reduction with cherries, greens, cucumber. It was tasty but salty (I would say all of the dishes seemed a bit over salted). But, it was big enough for the four of us.
We then had a smoked onion and turnip soup that was very unusual. I would never guess it had onion. It tasted smoky and kind of bitter and is served puréed but not too rich. It was a huge bowl and we all had some and had some left over. We also had the roasted broccoli with cheese, which was also very tasty. It's a large bowl of what seemed to be boccolini roasted so its edges are almost burnt but it still has crunch with a fresh white cheese sprinkled on top and lemon.
The mains we selected were three lambs and one local king salmon. The other two mains did not appeal,one was a vegetarian grain dish that just seemed way overpriced and the other was a pork tenderloin which didn't sound interesting. The lamb is a chunk of shoulder braised and tender in a bowl , baby turnips, these kind of spongy bread pieces, a bit of broth and lots of herbs and a preserved lemon grain which was tasty with sweet bites of lemon. The king salmon is about the size of a fist, though not as thick, it was cooked perfectly, seared and served with with baby eggplant, the whole thing, peeled, crispy corn fritters (would have liked a bowl of this for an app!) mint and whole Serrano chile.
They have a very unusual approach to mixing flavors, which seems to work mostly (especially in the cocktails) but there were times when dishes just seemed to be missing a balancing flavor and ended up tasting more salty than tasting of the actual ingredients.
Drinks: there are a few cocktails, a few glasses of wine, a pretty large beer selection and several seemingly carefully selected bottles. We tried two of the cocktail, one was a bourbon stone fruit with rosemary and the other was a tequila with mescal, grand marnier and lemon. They were both very well balanced and fresh. We also had a bottle of the 2007 chianti which was priced reasonably and was quite good.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

The waitress obviously completely ignored my girlfriend and myself. I'm only sorry I didn't speak up. Never acknowledged us when she walked by, never asked if everything was okay or if we cared for another drink. I could go on but you get the drift. Very disappointed because I was on vacation and were so many other restaurants to experience.

1  Thank Trvld7