1,499 results
All reviewsgreat locationunion squarewestfield mallmarket streetan older hotelcable carshort staybart stationcentral locationwould stay here againpowell ststayed here for nightscorner roomflat screen tvbed was very comfortablerooms are smallcoffee maker
Reviewed June 23, 2015

For our last night in SF we decided to splurge a little and get a nice place to get some much needed rest.
The hotel is a heritage building in one of the busiest areas of downtown SF. It looks great from the outside and the location is key. However, the rooms inside are just barely passable for 3 stars. The room interior is just a collage of upgrades spanning the past 50 years, with some stuff looking like it belongs in a homeless shelter.
In the morning I was unpleasantly surprised when the toilet lever squirted a handful of water directly into my face as I was pressing it after finishing my business.
One thing was certainly good - The sheets were white and generally the place was superficially clean.

Room Tip: Check out the Kombu restaurant on the 4th floor of The Four Seasons Hotel (747 Market St) - Great food & great view of Market street below
  • Stayed: June 2015, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2015

I read many reviews concerning WiFi issues and the hotel being old. However, my room had great WiFi reception and brand new furniture! After speaking with the front desk staff I was advised that they had just had new furniture added in all of the rooms and their WiFi system was just upgraded, and it was FAST! Rooms are good, sure they are not huge but what boutique hotel in Union Square has big rooms? The area can sometimes be noisy, but then again, it's Union Square! I have stayed at several other hotels in the area, and now with the new furniture and terrific WiFi, this is my new favorite spot! Way to go Pickwick!

Room Tip: TIP: I found them on hotels.com and when I checked the hotel’s website I noticed I could get the same rate which included breakfast, or 10% off for booking on the hotel’s website!
  • Stayed: June 2015, traveled on business
PickwickManagement, Front Office Manager at The Pickwick Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2015

Thank you for your comments! We understood that WiFi is very important and I am glad that the new system exceeded your expectations! We look forward to your return visit.

Regards,

Allen Allgood, Front Office Manager

Reviewed June 16, 2015

This hotel was pretty abysmal. Granted, I was working from home during my stay so if you're just a regular tourist who will only be sleeping and showering in your room, this might be an okay option. But I would try to avoid spending several waking hours a day here if you can.

Specific complaints:
- The WiFi didn't work the entire week. This was a huge problem as I couldn't connect my laptop to the internet. There was no ethernet to connect to as an alternative, and the customer service was awful. Staff at the front desk restarted the router several times throughout the week, which never helped, and I kept being assured that they were construction crews onsite "installing a whole new system" for WiFi in the hotel. Well congratulations to whomever gets to benefit from that at some unspecified time in the future, but it didn't help me on this trip. I ended up buying extra data so I could hotspot my cell phone.
- The rooms themselves are small, although this is par for the course for hotels in such old buildings.
- There are no outlets in convenient places in the room. We were two people each with several chargeable gadgets (tablets, phones, computers, external batteries, etc.) and there weren't enough outlets next to the bed or easily accessible on the desk. I had to charge my phone in the bathroom.
- There was often no hot water in the shower. Almost every day of my six-day stay, I had to run the water for 10 minutes for it to get warm enough to tolerate. The paint in the tub was also visibly peeling but there was a bathtub mat covering most of it.
- The fridge wasn't very cold and when I inquired about it's abnormally high temperature, the person at the front desk told me to "think of it more as a cooler." This wasn't helpful as I wanted to buy and keep groceries instead of going to restaurants as much as possible. When I asked about getting breakfast vouchers because we were hesitant to keep yogurt or milk in the fridge, I was told we didn't qualify because we booked through Hotels.com and not direct through Pickwick. I ended up keeping yogurt in the fridge and it wasn't extremely cold but it was fine.
- Our hotel phone stopped working about two days into our stay. This was a minor annoyance as I didn't use it for anything except to call the front desk about the WiFi, but after coming to investigate and diagnosing an issue with the line, they never fixed it (at least while we were still staying there).

Positive aspects of the stay:

- The location can't be beat, if you want to be in the middle of the action. Short walking distance to Moscone Convention Center and all the shopping on Market Street. Longer walk or short transit ride to Embarcadero, Mission Bay, South Beach, or Chinatown.
- The blackout curtains were very dark and made for peaceful sleeping. The mattress wasn't extremely comfy but the duvet was.
- When we needed an extra bed for one night, the room wasn't big enough for a roll-away bed but the hotel provided us with an air mattress and bedding.
- Housekeeping was very accommodating. I often didn't leave the room until 11am or 12pm and they would wait to clean the room until after I left.
- Security is good. They lock the front doors at night (the hotel is across from the Old Mint building where a lot of people loiter and is within walking distance of the Tenderloin) and require everyone to be a guest of the hotel or accompanied by one after hours.
- The workout room was better than those I've used in other hotels- plenty of natural light, working cardio equipment, decent selection of free weights, a yoga ball and mats, wall-mounted TV facing the treadmills, well-maintained and very clean.

In sum, avoid this place if your budget allows.

1  Thank Christine W

Thank you for the positive comments, and due to the WiFi issues is why last week we installed one of the industry’s Highest Capacity, Highest Performing, Three-stream ZoneFlex R700 Smart Wi-Fi access points by Ruckus, including an EthoStream Pro Series Gateway Server, new wiring, new switches, a complete upgrade package. This will enable guests to have extremely reliable Wi-Fi connectivity! I understand that there is nothing more frustrating to a guest than to have slow and/or unreliable Internet. A hotel that does not provide good reliable Internet can make any guest resentful. Having really good Wi-Fi is critical.”

Reviewed June 12, 2015

Pros
- Location is great
- Comfortable beds
- Decent TV

Cons
- Dirty - construction debris was all over the carpets in the hallways
- Smells musty everywhere
- Pitiful gym with an extremely low ceiling (7ft). Small set of dumbbells (25lb max) and a couple of treadmills. That's it. Pretty lame, even for a hotel gym.
- Hot water was hard to come by.
- Turning on the shower shook the walls very loudly, similar to the noise of a jackhammer. You could hear other guests having the same issue which was pretty obnoxious in the early morning or at night.
- The wifi was unusable, sometimes it would fail to load the page to type in the username and password. To be fair they switched out the provider mid way through my stay and it was significantly better after that. The switch also led to the debris all in the halls, mostly paint and bits of wall from running the wires.

Overall it was a serviceable hotel with a great location. I would be much more upset if it was not a business trip and I had paid for the hotel stay out of pocket.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
1  Thank Jon C

Thank your for your review. I understand your comments and this is why we upgraded all of our rooms with new furniture and installed a brand new WiFi system in the hotel. I apologize that your stay was during this process and look forward to your return so you can enjoy all of the new features.

Regards,

Allen Allgood, Front Office Manager

Reviewed June 9, 2015

My room looked like it had been split from a previous suite and the bathroom was stuffed into a closet - was ok with the tiny size for one night though. Bed was ok. The bathroom and the sink had a lot of stray hair in them. The wi-fi connection was good but kept dropping every couple of hours, requiring a login again. Would stay again, only because of the location, if the rooms are kept clean.