“Nice Rooms, great location and helpful staff”

The Pickwick Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #112 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
San Bruno, California
“Nice Rooms, great location and helpful staff”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Stayed at the hotel and had a nice time. The rooms were modernly furnished. Wifi was free. The people at the front desk were helpful with questions. The restaurant and bar was lively and convenient. A walk outside takes you to the heart of the shopping and theatre district. Highly recommended. The price was not out of this world, for the room quality and location. Fits the mix!

Room Tip: newer rooms and away from elevators - the higher the floor - the better
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank rlowilongo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I was here for an interview and thought that even though the hotel is located in a great area and had a relatively high room rate, it was quite ghetto. Very old, looks like it hadn't been maintained in years, the rooms were VERY small, no room service, all in all a very shoddy and subpar experience. Spend the extra bucks and stay at Zetta!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank aniruddhc

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2014

This hotel has everything you need and nothing you don't need. It also has a great diner next door. It is also in a great location. When I arrived I found my room was noisy (right on the corner) and I knew with my jet lag it would prevent me sleeping. But one of the managers Randy Millares immediately found me a new room on the quiet side of the hotel. Thanks for everything!

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank a b
Whittier, Alaska
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

My company consistently books me at the pickwick due to its location and price. I have had other problems with this hotel. Such as maid service knocking every hour on the hour starting at 545am. Then over charging me for room fee. This latest trip the woman at the desk told me they had my reservation online (pre-paid) however I had to pay the hotel again and submit for a refund from the booking agent Expedia on my own. I refused to pay for the same room twice and the lady at the counter flat out told me your broke and don't have any money so you cannot stay here. Given I was coming off a 30th flight I was a bit disheveled, however I did not smell and clearly I am far from homeless. I showed her my wallet with ample cash and credit cards and asked to speak to a supervisor. It was 10 pm and apparently too late so no supervisor on duty. I was told if I wanted a refund I would have to contact the accounting dept. Amazing. I lost my cool and was extremely tired and upset. I had to walk to a nearby hotel and checked in immediately without incident. The property is old. Smells like smoke and noise if on street side. I will never return to pickwick and advise everyone to not stay there. The best western americania is much better close by and near the same price. Pickwick management does not listen or tend to guest complaints. By far the worst hotel experience I've ever had

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank RobbTaylor777
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 12, 2014

The most run-down hotel I've ever stayed at. The elevators failed so they taped over the button for the floor where it was failing rather than pay for a technician to come out on a Sunday. The room needed a paint job about 10 years ago. The tired mattresses had "Sheraton exclusive" labels -- I didn't even know there was a market in used hotel mattresses. The elevators made noise that could be heard from the room every time they accelerated or stopped. There was no safe in the room. The water pressure was ok but variable, it sometimes dropped to the point of stopping entirely. The sink had no aerator on the faucet so it sprayed water everywhere. Generally it feels like the building hasn't been touched since 1969 except to install money-saving light motion detector light switches that randomly switch off and on every hour or so. (And in the 80s to redo the bathrooms in travertine. All the travertine in SF is here). The location is on a busy road which is a fire route so expect fire trucks every few hours to go racing by.

The free wifi is nice but you have to log in every 30 minutes or so and there are so many access points and they aren't set up properly so they interfere with each other. And it keeps asking for reviews which maybe isn't the best marketing strategy if they don't want to maintain the building.

On the plus side the staff was nice and the housekeep was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street on a higher floor (but not the 8th floor where the elevator moto...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Sacramento, California
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I always stay at the Pickwick when in SF, and am very happy each time. The location is perfect; the rooms are clean and have everything I need, albeit a little small. This is to be expected in the city though. The fitness room has everything I want, is well aired and the windows open to the hustle and bustle of the busy street. The staff at the front desk were extremely friendly and helpful. Parking is very expensive on top of the room rate. Complimentary wifi is always welcome.
The restaurant in the hotel used to be Little Joes; and I always ate there and had great meals. It seems to have changed ownership; I went down for dinner and was never given a menu. After 40 minutes I walked over to the Chieftain and had a way better experience.
The one downside to this stay was that only 1 elevator was working the entire time; this made for very long waits every time we wanted to come down/go up to the 6th floor.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

San Lorenzo, California
Reviewed January 11, 2014

The Pickwick hotel is a gem of a hotel. Located right in downtown San Francisco so close to everything just steps away from the cable car and union square. I stayed here on New Year's Eve because I was attending an event at the Westin st Francis. I've always liked smaller hotels and I must say I was really impressed with the Pickwick hotel. The location was excellent and the staff was so welcoming and friendly.. There was an issue with the power that night but the manager on duty at the time, I think his name was john? Was very professional and really listened to my concerns and did everything in his power to rectify the situation... Overall I really enjoyed my stay and will definitely be back next time I'm I'm San Francisco...

• Stayed December 2013