“Very pleasant experience”

The Pickwick Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #121 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I always stay at the Pickwick when in SF, and am very happy each time. The location is perfect; the rooms are clean and have everything I need, albeit a little small. This is to be expected in the city though. The fitness room has everything I want, is well aired and the windows open to the hustle and bustle of the busy street. The staff at the front desk were extremely friendly and helpful. Parking is very expensive on top of the room rate. Complimentary wifi is always welcome.
The restaurant in the hotel used to be Little Joes; and I always ate there and had great meals. It seems to have changed ownership; I went down for dinner and was never given a menu. After 40 minutes I walked over to the Chieftain and had a way better experience.
The one downside to this stay was that only 1 elevator was working the entire time; this made for very long waits every time we wanted to come down/go up to the 6th floor.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed January 11, 2014

The Pickwick hotel is a gem of a hotel. Located right in downtown San Francisco so close to everything just steps away from the cable car and union square. I stayed here on New Year's Eve because I was attending an event at the Westin st Francis. I've always liked smaller hotels and I must say I was really impressed with the Pickwick hotel. The location was excellent and the staff was so welcoming and friendly.. There was an issue with the power that night but the manager on duty at the time, I think his name was john? Was very professional and really listened to my concerns and did everything in his power to rectify the situation... Overall I really enjoyed my stay and will definitely be back next time I'm I'm San Francisco...

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Joecom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed with my partner for 4 nights over New Year, our room was on the 4th floor,
Friendly & helpful reception & concierge staff.
Room was a bit dated, but warm & comfortable.
We found this hotel great value for money, complimentary wifi for duration of our stay,
Housekeeping staff friendly & helpful,
Great location for a shopping trip to San Fran we will stay again

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Our stay started off pretty bad…We arrived at the hotel at 1AM after a long days travel and we were assigned to the worst hotel room I’ve ever stayed in. The bed was a full sized mattress at best and the room was very out dated and dirty. The TV was missing and had extension cords as outlets. It was like a pay per hour type of room. Despite being completely disgusted we decided it was late and we would live with the room for one night. We were awoken by loud street traffic at 5am and I quickly went down as asked for a room change. The lady at the front desk was helpful but it seemed like she knew we were going to ask for a new room. We were moved to a better room not great but better. This room was much quitter than the other room and had a king sized bed. I would give the room a below average rating. The location of the hotel was great! It was convenient and within walking distance to public transportation. We didn’t expect the best hotel for what we paid but I honestly expected to get a little more then we got. I would skip this place on a return visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank laxin16
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Let me just say, I understand that things happen but the actions you take after things happens is what I have a problem with. I am in the shower and the lights go off. 20mins went by and no one came by to inform us what was going on. 20mins we were in the dark with no power, on New Years Eve, not knowing if it was the entire block, hotel, or just our floor. We finally had to flag down someone and ask what is going on. Many of the ladies on the 2nd floor had to sit in the hallway to finish getting ready on New Years Eve. Then one of your employees tells everyone that the manager has requested that we all go down to the desk. We go downstairs only to be met with more impoliteness and no customer service. The front desk worker said there was nothing she could do, all the other rooms are filled so we would just have to wait. We asked why did the worker tell us to come down here and she was like "I don't know but I can't do anything here" So we had to go back upstairs and wait. finally the lights come on. We asked to speak to the manager "John" to tell him how unpleasant everything has been going but his remarks was "What would you like me to do comp your room?!" I said yes comping this stay or alloying us to stay another time at a discounted price sounds fair. He replied back "We can't make any money that way the lights were only out for a hour" Really only a hour?!?!? It is New Years Eve we come into town to get ready but are unable to for an hour and it is no big deal. Is this how managers talk to customers, especially, after having your guest in the dark for a hour. He then said he was going to discount the room but when I tried to ask him the specifics on how he just repeated himself. So today, at checkout, I asked about the discount John assured us we would get.....NOTHING. Basically they couldn't discount the room because I used "BOOKIT" to reserve the room. I have stayed at other hotels and if things happen usually the hotel in some way tries to make the stay better. Not in this case. I was sent home with a business card with the manager, John Valerio's name and told to give him a call and that was it. No apologies no sincerity. Nothing. Just a bad night at a subpar hotel.

Besides that debacle the room walls are paper thin. I could hear my neighbors entire conversation.
The pipes rattle when you are in the shower and the water pressure is hit and miss at times. I had a view to nowhere and the customer service was awful. Try other places In the area. I recommend the Parc 55. I had an issue with the light leaking water. Not only did they ask to put us in another room, they also discounted our stay and gave us a 100bucks to dine in their restaurant! The service was excellent and the room's view and location are amazing!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The experience at Pickwick Hotel San Francisco is indeed a one that no sane person will ever want to encounter ever.

On our 2nd of 4th night stay at the hotel, a false fire alarm that was triggered off at the restaurant in the hotel forced us, along with other guests to walk down to the hotel lobby. When all guests gathered at the lobby, the counter staff appeared as if nothing happened and continued with their routine work while all the guests waited for a while before deciding on our own that we could return to the room to rest after the fire department walked through the building.

When I woke up a few hours later that night, i realised that to my horror, our room door was widely opened. (I remembered locking the door after returning from the fire evacuation earlier as the hotel door, built in the weirdest way I have ever encountered, will not automatically rebounce back). We immediately checked through our things and to our horror, one of our personal bag containing passport and other important documents is gone!

We made our way down to the ground floor counter and informed the staff of what happened, receiving only "not a big deal" reaction from them. When we requested to review the CCTV footage, we were told that they were unable to access and have to wait till the morning. They then calmly asked if we wanted to make a police report and pretty much left us alone after helping us to call the police until we decided to return to our room and lock ourselves till the sun rises. (the police only came in hours later).

In the morning, we met with the general manager, who wasnt able to help us much too, except to cancel our room while trying to finish up his investigation, paper documentation and incident reporting.

Throughout our own conversation, he insisted that the security breach was not a responsibility of the hotel but the responsibility of hotel guest. (he gave us the impression that the cause of the incident is because we did not properly lock our door). When we requested to look through the CCTV footage, we were told that they do not have any security cameras on that floor and no one have accessed our room except ourselves.

After experiencing such traumatising sequence of events in a self proclaimed decent hotel, we immediately packed our bags and left and left to arrange for most of the things pretty much on our own. At approximately 1 hour after we packed our bags and left the hotel, we received a call from the embassy that the passport was found at the back alley of the hotel.

The whole incident from false fire alarm to theft is just too coincidental, too staged to believe that it is true. Biggest security issue ever, having to pay way too much for a room like that, when similar price can get you a decent and safe room just 1 street down. Stay at this hotel at your own risk.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank TiffanyYSM
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Stayed here for a convention with a queen bed reservation and was given a room with a single twin bed and a big surprise. A HUGE cockroach in the middle of the floor. Never seen one bigger in my life!! After speaking with the front desk, he was indifferent and flippant. Clearly this was not the first time they'd heard this. I was relocated two doors away to an equally disgusting room right off the elevators with one twin bed. Two doors was not far enough away from the cockroach for me and this was going to be the longest 3 nights of my life. Allegedly the hotel was all booked out and there was nothing they could do, but after arguing with the front desk staff for 15 minutes I was 'upgraded' to the presidential suite on the 6th floor. Still a dump, but at least no cockroaches. Do yourself a favour and steer clear of the Pickwick Roaches!! This place should be shut down!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business