“Great location”

The Pickwick Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #115 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed here in September and thought it was a very good hotel.Pretty reasonably priced with a lovely bright bedroom with a very comfy bed.Best thing though is it's location very near to the Westfield mall which is fantastic and also within walking distance of most places.It took us half an hour to walk to fisherman's wharf.Very good hotel

1  Thank Ishbel S
There are newer reviews for The Pickwick Hotel San Francisco

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The location was very convenient to our travels and the room at the Pickwick was very clean and size was very good, but very loud early morning from outside street noise. Internet access was horrible. Internet was very slow and timed out often. Basically, the internet was unusable

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed at the Pickwick in Mid-Aug for 3 nights. After some reading some reviews I was unsure of what to expect. However do not let them put you off. The hotel is going through a few upgrades/renovations. If you’re coming to San Fran and want a value for money hotel which is in a superb location + a good night’s sleep look no further! Hotel is ideally located to access anywhere you want to go. It is next door to Westfield shopping centre for your shopping needs with a food court inside. It is a 2min walk to Powell St tram stop in order to get a tram to Fishermans Wharf. Union square is a ten min walk away. Cable car ride is a must and is around the corner on Market St. Tram is only $2 a single ride & cable car $6 single. I got a $14 day pass for unlimited usage on both+ the bus. While in San Fran, I took a bay cruise on the blue and gold fleet. It provided brilliant views of Alcatraz, golden gate bridge and bay bridge. Walk along the wharf as plenty of places to eat here and near embarcadero. Plenty of placed for breakfast nearby, Mo’z café opposite and mel diners behind westfield. The rooms are spacious with large comfy beds, coffee maker, plasma tv and ipod dock in room as well as free wifi! Decent bathroom with toiletries provided. Room service will come round and clean everyday with towels etc. Staff all friendly and have plenty of recommendations. There are no problems in regards to the homeless people mentioned in previous reviews, I found the area safe at all times. I would definitely go back to the Pickwick again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KP P
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I was hesitant when my husband told me that he had booked the Pickwick for my surprise birthday trip to San Francisco in Sept 2012. As most of us do, I read many reviews on tripadvisor and the negatives ones made me pretty nervous as to what I going to get at The Pickwick, cleanliness,staff, etc. What I got when I arrived was a great surprise. First off, the location is awesome! As we were first timers in San Fran and did not rent a car in was very close to Powell St(Cable Cars/other Transportaion,tours), Union Square, Westfield Centre(Amazing shopping/food court),excellent restaurants(all in walking distance)and much more. The lobby is quite nice and the concierge(Eduardo) and front desk staff were awesome at recommending restaurants and things to do as well as being so friendly. We were upgraded to a corner room w/KS bed. This is where I got nervous as the reviews on the rooms themselves weren't great. In my case I should not always believe what I read. The bathroom was smaller and there was a big crack in the window(not a big deal)but it was great w/full bath tub and toiletries. The fixtures and decor were a bit old but the room was clean and comfortable. The room actually reminded me of a place I stayed in Florence, Italy...old school charm. If I had to pick something to critic it would have to be the wifi. It is free(yeah!) but didn't work so well in the corner room. My husband and I just went down to the mezzanine sat on the couches and relaxed where the wifi worked great. I was so happy with my 4 night stay at The PIckwick and would ABSOLUTELY stay there again. Don't let the negative reviews scare you off from The Pickwick.

2  Thank zuzupetals72
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights from Mon 27th August, initial impressions was friendly staff, clean room although room was a bit on the small side (there were 2 beds in the room and would have been more spacious with 1!). The hotel is in a great location...only a couple of minutes walk from Powell st cable car and Union sq. The cable car is so handy to get too and its a great wee journey to Fishermans wharf and Pier 39!!

We didnt eat in the hotel, we had breakfast the first day in a cafe right next door called " Cafe Venue". Food was good and reasonable too! The best dinner we had was in a bar called "Foleys" I think its on O'Farrell street just off Union Sq and the worst meal we had was in a Irish bar that served Indian food down near fishermans wharf(ate based on recommendation from tour guide on a hop on hop off bus!!)...Food was actually ok it was the mouse I saw run across the floor after we had eaten that made me feel sick....gross!!

Overall we would recommend this hotel and would stay again, it was clean, staff friendly, it had a fridge in the room, good selection of TV channels and a great location!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tinibops
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We really enjoyed our 4 night stay in this hotel. The hotel was booked by a tour company so I have no idea if it was value for money. We were ungraded to a corner room which was a nice sized room with an amazingly comfortable bed. It was a good location to the shops and for an evening arrival v convenient to the Westfield centre food court!

A little noisy at night but no different to any other city hotel especially as we spent the previous evening at hotel next to London Heathrow airport. The earplugs from the plane journey came in handy. Free wifi came in useful. Only issue we had was that one lift was out of order and the other was being used by hotel handymen to move large pieces of furniture - luckily we were only on the fifth floor!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mykk02
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I booked the Pickwick on my sisters recommendation and I am very happy I did. The hotel was safe and clean. I was travelling on my own so have single traveller anxiety but the hotel, the staff and its location put me totally at easy as did the large variety of people staying there
(couple, families etc and from all cultures)

The staff were very accommodating and had upgraded me to a slightly better room. The bed was clean and comfortable even if the room was a tad on the small size. It would have been a bit tight for 2 as there was not a great deal of space around the bed but there would still have been space to store 2 suitcases as the room also came with 2 wardrobes and the TV and channel selection was great. The one thing that could have been better was the shower, it was not great but the one does not book a hotel based on the shower power.

The hotel is about 3 minuets walk from Powell St cable car, 5 minutes from Union Square and about a 15 minute bus ride to Fishermans Wharf. There are plenty of places to eat nearby, approximately 4 chemists within walking distance and a vast variety of shops ranging from Gap to Louis Vuitton.

I would recommend this to anyone travelling, families, couples and the single traveller.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of The Old Mint.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo