“I was hesitant....”

Ranked #115 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Brandon, Canada
“I was hesitant....”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I was hesitant when my husband told me that he had booked the Pickwick for my surprise birthday trip to San Francisco in Sept 2012. As most of us do, I read many reviews on tripadvisor and the negatives ones made me pretty nervous as to what I going to get at The Pickwick, cleanliness,staff, etc. What I got when I arrived was a great surprise. First off, the location is awesome! As we were first timers in San Fran and did not rent a car in was very close to Powell St(Cable Cars/other Transportaion,tours), Union Square, Westfield Centre(Amazing shopping/food court),excellent restaurants(all in walking distance)and much more. The lobby is quite nice and the concierge(Eduardo) and front desk staff were awesome at recommending restaurants and things to do as well as being so friendly. We were upgraded to a corner room w/KS bed. This is where I got nervous as the reviews on the rooms themselves weren't great. In my case I should not always believe what I read. The bathroom was smaller and there was a big crack in the window(not a big deal)but it was great w/full bath tub and toiletries. The fixtures and decor were a bit old but the room was clean and comfortable. The room actually reminded me of a place I stayed in Florence, Italy...old school charm. If I had to pick something to critic it would have to be the wifi. It is free(yeah!) but didn't work so well in the corner room. My husband and I just went down to the mezzanine sat on the couches and relaxed where the wifi worked great. I was so happy with my 4 night stay at The PIckwick and would ABSOLUTELY stay there again. Don't let the negative reviews scare you off from The Pickwick.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank zuzupetals72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Letterkenny, Ireland
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights from Mon 27th August, initial impressions was friendly staff, clean room although room was a bit on the small side (there were 2 beds in the room and would have been more spacious with 1!). The hotel is in a great location...only a couple of minutes walk from Powell st cable car and Union sq. The cable car is so handy to get too and its a great wee journey to Fishermans wharf and Pier 39!!

We didnt eat in the hotel, we had breakfast the first day in a cafe right next door called " Cafe Venue". Food was good and reasonable too! The best dinner we had was in a bar called "Foleys" I think its on O'Farrell street just off Union Sq and the worst meal we had was in a Irish bar that served Indian food down near fishermans wharf(ate based on recommendation from tour guide on a hop on hop off bus!!)...Food was actually ok it was the mouse I saw run across the floor after we had eaten that made me feel sick....gross!!

Overall we would recommend this hotel and would stay again, it was clean, staff friendly, it had a fridge in the room, good selection of TV channels and a great location!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tinibops
Solihull, West Midlands
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We really enjoyed our 4 night stay in this hotel. The hotel was booked by a tour company so I have no idea if it was value for money. We were ungraded to a corner room which was a nice sized room with an amazingly comfortable bed. It was a good location to the shops and for an evening arrival v convenient to the Westfield centre food court!

A little noisy at night but no different to any other city hotel especially as we spent the previous evening at hotel next to London Heathrow airport. The earplugs from the plane journey came in handy. Free wifi came in useful. Only issue we had was that one lift was out of order and the other was being used by hotel handymen to move large pieces of furniture - luckily we were only on the fifth floor!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mykk02
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I booked the Pickwick on my sisters recommendation and I am very happy I did. The hotel was safe and clean. I was travelling on my own so have single traveller anxiety but the hotel, the staff and its location put me totally at easy as did the large variety of people staying there
(couple, families etc and from all cultures)

The staff were very accommodating and had upgraded me to a slightly better room. The bed was clean and comfortable even if the room was a tad on the small size. It would have been a bit tight for 2 as there was not a great deal of space around the bed but there would still have been space to store 2 suitcases as the room also came with 2 wardrobes and the TV and channel selection was great. The one thing that could have been better was the shower, it was not great but the one does not book a hotel based on the shower power.

The hotel is about 3 minuets walk from Powell St cable car, 5 minutes from Union Square and about a 15 minute bus ride to Fishermans Wharf. There are plenty of places to eat nearby, approximately 4 chemists within walking distance and a vast variety of shops ranging from Gap to Louis Vuitton.

I would recommend this to anyone travelling, families, couples and the single traveller.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of The Old Mint.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank manvillekc
Reviewed August 28, 2012

No shampoo, soap had been used, some old salami in the fridge left by the previous occupant, can't charge the breakfast to my room (separate restaurant management), no room service, one of the lift if ooo, room is tiny and no suitcase holder, hard to get more than a trickle of water from the shower.... What can I say but feeling having been rip off $400 for a bed...

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank nijaba

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Viareggio, Italy
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Quite old hotel but the atmosphere is very warm and nice. Good position to visit the town. Free wi-fi connection and this was a good news after being stay three night in NY without a free wi-fi in a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Waldisney
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The hotel is on the same block as the Westfield shopping mall, and only about a 4 minute walk from the BART! I arrived in the morning and the front desk stored my baggage with minimal fuss until my check-in. My room was spacious enough and very bright since the windows opened onto the street. The red brocade curtains were old-school and lovely, and along with the white & gold shabby-chic? wood/plush upholstered headboards on the king-sized bed, the decor had warmth and charm. Although I guess the look is supposed to be French Provincial, there is also a modern, sort of art-Decoish flavor. Overall, the decor is tasteful and cute. The bathroom is serviceable with a full tub (very old but clean) and decent, spotless towels. On top of this, there was also a Keurig coffee maker in the room. As for shared amenities, there is free Wifi, a gym (which I haven't been to), and a convenient and not-shabby modern-looking waiting area in the lobby.
The only real complaint I have is that there was no bedside plug for my phone or computer. Also-- and I know I'm being picky now-- the hotel's pricing seems sort of hit or miss. I used a third party website to make my reservations, and there was at least a $20 price fluctuation between when I first looked and when I made my reservation; I made the reservation because I noticed the price drop and cancelled another hotel I had secured in the meanwhile. (Although $20 isn't much, over a multiple day stay and with taxes, the base rate starts to matter... ) When I checked back (out of curiosity) later, the higher price was up again. I'm happy with the rate I got though, so I guess ultimately, this is more of an observation than an actual complaint.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo