The Alcove Theater - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Ideal for all productions!

The stage is so close that you really feel connected to what's going on. Every song becomes more... read more

Reviewed June 6, 2013
Jessie Y
Berkeley, California
Frisco Fred's Holiday Magic and More!

I really enjoyed Frisco Fred's combined comedy + magic show at the Alcove Theatre. The venue was... read more

Reviewed December 1, 2012
Robert C
Berkeley, California, United States

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We had the delightful experience of seeing Karen Hirst in “Absolutely San Francisco” August 1, 2011. My wife and I and six others drove to San Francisco from Los Angeles to see the sights and take in a few plays. Karen was superb in the range if her voice and the depth of her portrayal of the many characters she played. If you have a trip to San Francisco planned, and want some great entertainment, I would highly recommend “Absolutely San Francisco“!

Date of experience: August 2011
Reviewed July 27, 2011

A well concieved and well performed one woman show. It's certainly worth going to see.
I am sure you will enjoy it.
Greg Hearn

Date of experience: July 2011
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Being a relatively new resident of San Francisco, this show was not only highly entertaining, but educational as well. The references and humor are well crafted so that tourists and SF veterans can both have a good laugh. The Alcove theater is beautiful and intimate. Every seat has a good view. As soon as my parents come to town, I'm taking them to this show!

Date of experience: June 2011
1  Thank SanFranciscoPam
Reviewed July 18, 2011

This show displayed some comical, yet completely accurate depictions of the city that had a heavy dose of education mixed in. For those who live in San Francisco, the elements shown are more true than the commercial stereotypes. Defintely a good value for those who want to see the "real san francisco".

This theater is independent and sometimes hard to find...so walk into the space next to ruby skye and go up the elevator to the 5th floor.

Date of experience: July 2011
2  Thank tom43082
Reviewed July 16, 2011

There are very few theatrical productions these days that I would say qualify for the praise"not to be missed." The not Quite Opera company Alcove Theater production of "Absolutely San Francisco" is, however, without a doubt a not to be missed gem. I laughed. I sighed. I almost cried. But most of all I was entertained by the action and stimulated to reflect on the culture of a great city where permission to be free and be yourself can come into conflict with the practical necessities of life, like having a home other than the street. I was captured by the story of a journey of a disparate and fascinating cast of characters ranging from a homeless person, to a hippie billionaire, to a Chinese shopkeeper (who sells junk to be able to support her son) , to a gay wine merchant, an empathetic cable car conductor and an Indian engineer. The message is clear and very relevant to these troubled times, times where an increasing conflict among the factions of our society is tearing apart the soul of our land: We are all searching for acceptance and it is this search that ties us all together. Thanks, Not Quite Opera Productions for an evening of entertainment and enlightenment!

Date of experience: June 2011