“A wonderful experience for locals and tourists!”
Review of The Alcove Theater - CLOSED

The Alcove Theater
More attraction details
Owner description: The cozy 49-seat Alcove Theater – a hidden gem right off Union Square - features a variety of entertainment in an intimate setting: original musical theater by Not Quite Opera Productions, Improv, solo performers, magic and more. The first two rows boast six cabaret tables for the Alcove’s "Premium" seats. Check our web site for current shows: The Not Quite Opera original one-woman musical hit “Absolutely San Francisco,” played here to delighted audiences for over 120 performances! Our exciting fall and holiday 2012 offerings include our ongoing "Round One Cabaret of Music from New Musicals" and, beginning Thanksgiving Weekend, a double weekend bill featuring the fantastic comedy, magic and stunts in Frisco Fred's "Holiday Magic and More" at 7pm and Kurt Weitzmann's "Hysterical Historical San Francisco - The Holiday Edition" at 9pm. Don't forget to keep up with our current shows by visiting our web site.
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Being a relatively new resident of San Francisco, this show was not only highly entertaining, but educational as well. The references and humor are well crafted so that tourists and SF veterans can both have a good laugh. The Alcove theater is beautiful and intimate. Every seat has a good view. As soon as my parents come to town, I'm taking them to this show!

1  Thank SanFranciscoPam

Reviewed July 18, 2011

This show displayed some comical, yet completely accurate depictions of the city that had a heavy dose of education mixed in. For those who live in San Francisco, the elements shown are more true than the commercial stereotypes. Defintely a good value for those who want to see the "real san francisco".

This theater is independent and sometimes hard to find...so walk into the space next to ruby skye and go up the elevator to the 5th floor.

2  Thank tom43082
Reviewed July 16, 2011

There are very few theatrical productions these days that I would say qualify for the praise"not to be missed." The not Quite Opera company Alcove Theater production of "Absolutely San Francisco" is, however, without a doubt a not to be missed gem. I laughed. I sighed. I almost cried. But most of all I was entertained by the action and stimulated to reflect on the culture of a great city where permission to be free and be yourself can come into conflict with the practical necessities of life, like having a home other than the street. I was captured by the story of a journey of a disparate and fascinating cast of characters ranging from a homeless person, to a hippie billionaire, to a Chinese shopkeeper (who sells junk to be able to support her son) , to a gay wine merchant, an empathetic cable car conductor and an Indian engineer. The message is clear and very relevant to these troubled times, times where an increasing conflict among the factions of our society is tearing apart the soul of our land: We are all searching for acceptance and it is this search that ties us all together. Thanks, Not Quite Opera Productions for an evening of entertainment and enlightenment!

2  Thank cowboy073
Reviewed July 15, 2011

The Alcove Theater is spacious, well-laid-out, and inviting. It is a great space for theater!

I saw the production of Absolutely San Francisco there. The production was funny, engaging, and endearing. I particularly enjoyed the "I Sell Junk" song - it's a funny song that you find yourself singing to yourself over and over again.

1  Thank cboudreauSF
See more reviews
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Billed as a comedy, there is not a laugh in it. I went because I am a fan of the actor who was performing in it at the time. She did the best she could but the script, songs and direction are all weak. They seem to think that they are presenting art, but what they really have is a pale rip-off of Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin's THE SEARCH FOR SIGNS OF INTELLIGENT LIFE with some San Francisco history lessons thrown in. The coincidences that tie all the characters together at the end of the play are forced and unbelievable and reek of a freshman play writing class. There is nothing about this production to recommend

1  Thank TheaterFan415