“A bit dark and dirty, but ok.”

San Francisco International Hostel
Hull, UK
“A bit dark and dirty, but ok.”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Kind of what you expect coming to a Hostel, but some things could be better.
The bathrooms are rather scarce given the amount of people on each floor, and the showers are dirty.
The eating / socializing area has strange decor, is dark, and always has some dodgy cheap multi-coloured fairy lights on around the place.
In terms of social activities, they do nightly 'free beer' events in the basement. You'll know it's on because some annoying idiot always walks round with an annoying siren advertising it.
That being said the event isn't awful - there's equipment for beer pong and a table to play cards. They put out the beer and stuff, you make the night; until they kick you out at around midnight.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Being a recent international graduate student traveling on a budget I found this place very decent, reasonable price for higher than average service. People at the front desk are generally very friendly and more than happy to help with anything you need to know about SF. Bathroom is always clean, wi-fi is ok on the lower levels, but not so much on the upper levels. Free beer and pool table are definitely a plus.

I would have given this place at least a 4-stars except for one thing. As I checked out after staying two nights, I ran into this middle-eastern guy who just arrived in SF from NY and had online reservation for two nights. He had just been literally kicked out because he didnt have student ID, note that he did have reservation and paid in advance, just like I did. I thought that was unfair because nobody ever asked ME nor anybody I talked to during my stay for student ID. So I decided to help, I went back to the guy at the front desk and asked him why did they only asked this middle-eastern guy for student ID and not anybody else? He pretty much just said this place only for educated people. I couldnt believe what I heard. So to confirm, he also added that if he had been the one who checked me in two days earlier he would have kicked me out too. Then the conversation continues with me asking about my roommates whom Im pretty sure are not students as well. This guy actually asked me what is my room number because he wanted to tell my roomates to leave. Is this even legal?

Long story short, I ended up helping this guy find another hostel. He really looked exhausted after the long flight. To me this is a racism issue. So just to warn all traveller who wanted to stay in this place, bring your student ID, which I know, doesnt make sense, at all.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank aileen s

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location - steps away from Union Square. That is a 5. The rest is 1. Very dirty, they never take the garbage out in the rooms. The kitchen smells. overall the dirtiest hostel i have ever been.to.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JuliaPower
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Very central location 1 block Union Square, BART and buses. Staff are wonderful, very friendly and knowledgable about the area. Free pancakes, free beer and free parties are the icing on the cake. Sadly my bed was the worst I have ever slept on and the street was ridiculously loud (just invest in earplugs). Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed at the SF Int'l Hostel twice in one month for a period of 3-4 days each time. My purpose for being in the City was to show a friend around, and to have a good time. Basically, I only needed a place to sleep and shower. The hostel was perfect for that. All of the staff members I talked with were very friendly and helpful. As far as cleanliness and amenities in the room, it wasn't the worst, nor the best hostel I've stayed in. The dorms have bunk beds, a sink, and closet. Each floor has at least one shared bathroom. The bathrooms were always pretty clean. My biggest issue was the pancake smell. The ground floor has a kitchen. The hostel allows guests to make free pancakes in the morning, which means the bottom few floors, including the common area, all smell like pancakes. I, personally, am not a huge fan of pancakes, so it particularly bothers me. Small issue, but just a warning. When I stayed on the second floor, it wasn't an issue because we had the window open all night for ventilation. The hostel is centrally located in downtown. This means you have a short walk to Powell St (1 block), the Cable Car, Westfield Center, Union Square, etc. You will also be close to the Tenderloin, or should I say, in the TL. Just be prepared to run into some of the more unique characters SF has to offer. There is a good sports bar across the street that has pretty cheap beer, and quite a few cheap eats within walking distance. Overall, I had a great experience staying at the SF Int'l Hostel. Like I said, I stayed here for the purpose of sleeping and showering, which it provided perfectly. Definitely will stay again on my next trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Seaside, California, United States
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I really liked it here. They were friendly at the door and the atmosphere of the other guests was great. Thinking about bringing a few friends to this place next time to rent out an entire room. One bathroom per floor may be too little, however, for some.

Room Tip: Utilize the free breakfast.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights, purely because of the location to the BART station. When I checked in, the staff member could hardly speak English so it was very difficult to ascertain how much my stay would be etc. The rooms are nice enough, although no fans or airconditioning means you have to leave the window open, and all the spill over noise from the nearby dodgy area of the Tenderloin makes a great racket. The beds aren't super comfortable but bearable. Showers are really nice, except no where to hang your clothes except on a shelf about 5 feet away from the shower. WiFi is shocking. The kitchen is ok, but constantly very dirty due to free all day (unsupervised) pancake making, so there's lots of pancake batter and syrup all over the floor and on the cooktops. The common room is very good. The really only annoying thing was that about 9:30 every night a guy comes around blowing an air siren announcing there'sa party in the basement with free beer. This is all well and good, but if you're trying to go to bed early as you have an early flight to catch, not so great! All in all, it's not a terrible place to stay for the price, but if you can afford it consider looking somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013