“Well located, good value for money”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
Ranked #40 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel is very well located in Fishermann's Warf: all highlights are easy to reach, there's a Wallgreen's around the corner as well as Avis & Hertz car rental. The rooms were ok. The breakfast is fine, nothing more nothing less: eating on a paperboard plate with plastic spoon, fork and knife is not very stylish but I guess that's part of the Express type of culture. The staff is friendly. Wifi is only available in the lobby, not in the rooms. That should be fixed. Beds are fine.
We tried to get a coke from the vending machines on our floor: did not work. Why keep these machines?

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ErikFromBelgium

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Recently stayed here with a friend for 2 nights - Saturday and Sunday - on my first visit to SF.

Good things:
-The location! Very easy to get around, a nice area to walk in, and convenient to a lot of tourist destinations. Probably the best part of the hotel.
-The room was comfortable and clean, nothing to write home about, but quite nice. We had a view of an air shaft from our windows, but whatever.
-The breakfast was extensive, and good. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, bagels, yogurt, cereal, biscuits and gravy . . . really more than you'd expect from a continental breakfast. The only negatives here was the lines were insanely long to get food - it was a long wait - and the only fruit was green bananas.

Negatives:
-Parking fees. It's insane. The amount paid for 2 nights of parking was the same as if we had stayed another night in the hotel. I feel like I should have splurged on a nicer hotel if I was going to spend that much on parking.
-The housekeeping woman came into our room to clean at 8:40am on a Sunday. We were in bed! I'm sorry - before 9 am?!? Especially on a weekend day, though I don't think any day that would be appropriate. Note that we were NOT checking out that day, either. What kind of hotel does that? That's a pretty major annoyance to me.
-One of the elevators was broken, and so it took a good 10 minutes to wait for the only other elevator each time. Totally understandable, things break, but they should have at least very clearly marked where the stairs are and how to get around using them - my friend and I tried to walk down the stairs once, and ended up in a weird back hallway on the first floor with many unmarked doors. A little odd.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelingteacher23
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear travelingteacher23,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, We truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience the housekeeping and elevator may have caused you. We will address these points and we hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

I look forward to having the opportunity to host you in the near future to allow you to experience our commitment to quality and service.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was our first visit to San Francisco, and we were coming to be tourists and see the sights. We were really nervous about finding a good hotel in a good location, and we hit the jackpot with Holiday Inn Express. The location could not have been better...only two blocks from Fisherman's Wharf and along those two blocks are numerous shops, tour/bus operations, bike rentals, restaurants, etc. The staff was so helpful and friendly, the rooms were spotless and comfortable, and the complimentary breakfast bar was amazing. Would definitely stay here again, and would highly recommend it to anyone coming to see the sights in San Francisco.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tinamcc1234
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We spent four nights at this hotel and its location in fisherman's wharf was perfect, a short walk from lots of attractions, restaurants and bars.

The hotel was well maintained and the rooms spacious and clean and had everything we needed.

Hotel staff were helpful and friendly and the free breakfast was great.

Overall I will defiantly stay here again when I go back to San Francisco.

1  Thank AmyPenno
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Well, room is great, location is great, bla bla. My wife and I had a trip leaving on 29th Mar and came back to this hotel on 3rd Apr, you know that we bought lots of things in SF and it's not convenient to take them to Monterey and Yosemite. I checked this hotel on line and there's nothing about having problem with keeping luggage, but when we were going to check out, we were told that they could not keep our luggage. Honestly, the hotels we had stayed all offer luggage keeping service, except this one. I had a conversation with their Manager on Duty, I explained that we had reservation and only need to keep the luggage for a few days, and I would like to lock them and sign a agreement whatever. But the MOD refused me, I don't want to blame, I know it's your rules, but would you please think more about your customers? They have to bring lots of luggage to travel and come back to your hotel! I think IHG hotels should do it much more better.

Room Tip: Do request a room away from:ice machine, exit stairs, and not facing the street if you wish to have...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Joseph Z,

I am grateful to receive such feedback from valued guests like you and I am pleased that you found our room and location to be suitable for your needs. However, I am very sorry that your stay was negatively affected by the inconsistency found in the staff's service. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again, thank you for alerting us and bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Arrived before noon on a Monday and were happy to be given a room right away, without having to stow luggage and come back. Front desk check-in was fast and FRIENDLY!!!
King bed was super comfy and we found our room to be quiet. I am a light sleeper and was not woken by slamming doors (inner room with no view).
Breakfast was okay, we are not big eaters so toast and coffee was fine. Next door the BEST breakfasts ever at Hollywoods and very reasonable.
We walked a lot, but also easily grabbed the cable car at Bay St, and the F-trolley down to the Ferry building, and saw the Bay Bridge light show.
Everything is very close by, from Ghirardellis to Pier 39 and a 10 minute walk to Alcatraz cruises. Got a CityPass and it was well worth it. Academy of Sciences is great, as well as Blazing Saddles bike rentals to get us over the Sausalito on a half day trip.
Love San Fran, would like to come back and would not hesitate to stay at HIExpress again.

2  Thank kcdragonfly
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I was one of 2 staying in a good sized double room. All usual amenities and everything worked including good powerful warm shower. Reception very friendly and helpful. Hotel well situated for Fisherman's Wharf attractions and a couple of local bike stores hire good bikes (the best way to cross the Golden Gate Bridge, then go into Sausalito and take the ferry home.
Knuckles Bar across the street has good food (as the only let down here is the appalling scrum through various vending machines to cobble together a very poor breakfast- better to go out and have a real US breakfast on the Wharf or uptown-its worth it) and makes a handy end to the day.
Lot of guides offer different ways to get around but to be honest nowhere in SanFrancisco's to-do list was beyond walking distance, with most locals happy to help with directions. Union Square, SFMOMA, Little Italy, Chinatown all walkable. Taxis to further destinations are cheap compared to rip-off Britain. Returning to hotel, cannot fault it at the price, but it belongs in one of those you simply want to bed down safe and warm after a good days sightseeing. Recommended for no-fuss tourist base- and faultless on cleanliness and service.

Room Tip: No real views here so not worth making a fuss. Good lifts so off the GF is fine.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends