“Great Mexican Food”

Don Pisto's
Ranked #247 of 5,645 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Townsville, Australia
“Great Mexican Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

This restaurant was a great little local restaurant. The food was extremely tasty and fresh. Service was fast and friendly. It definitely isn't fine dinning, but was the best Mexican food we have eaten.

• Visited January 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Bend, Oregon
“Affordable, good food , fun neighborhood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

This was our second time eating at Don Pistos. The food was very good. The carnitas were terriffic as was my husbands hamburger ( what do they call it?) We ended up drinking the Merlot with our dinner and that was great, also.

San Francisco, California
“Owner of Don Pisto's harassed us and destroyed our property because we were females”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

This review is not about the food at Don Pisto's restaurant, but rather about the harassment and destruction of our property that we were subjected to by the owner of Don Pisto's restaurant on 510 Union Street, SF, because we are females. He is a Middle Eastern man in his 30's, on the heavy side, fair-skinned, with a round fat face and fat cheeks, and he hardly has a neck line. He usually stands around close to the entrance area. This incident would not have happened if we were men. So, to the women who go to this restaurant, make sure you are accompanied by males, because the owner of Don Pisto's will possibly harass you and you might have a similar experience as we did.As we are seated and glass of water is brought to us Don Pisto's owner walked up to us and shoves 7 plastic straws in my female friend's glass of water, the water splashes in her face, and then he told us "Don't be bad girls", and he walked back to the bar area and kept staring at us and giggled. The area that he was standing was right across from us in a very close proximity. Then, we saw him hold his iphone toward our table as he began to take pictures of us. We were told by the manager there that he is the owner of Don Pistos. When we ask for our photos to be deleted, he yells in front of everyone to us "Get the F out of here". We obviously didn't want to stay at such a disgusting, female harassing establishment with such a psychotic owner that tells his patrons to get the F out for no reason whatsoever, so we immediately walked out of the restaurant distraught.Five minutes after we left, we realized that we had left behind our expensive umbrella on our chair at Don Pisto's restaurant. So, we went back to Don Pisto's to get our umbrella, only to find that the crazy owner had literally broken our expensive solid wood umbrella in half and thrown in on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant. We have all the photos of the incidence.The despicable acts of the owner of Don Pisto's went beyond what anyone could imagine. He harassed us two young female patrons, and destroyed our property. This experience at Don Pisto's at the hands of its very owner is unbelievable and appalling.
No woman deserves to be treated this way as a sex object when you go to a restaurant, and no woman's photos at a restaurant should be taken by the owner of the restaurant without permission, and no customer's property should be destroyed when a woman objects to being harassed and treated as a sex object.

11 Thank mindy j
San Francisco, California
“Solos eat elsewhere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Place seems pretentious with no sign at all outside. I live in the neighborhood and have heard noise when walking by. Stopped for early solo dinner: seated at a table for 2. Server seemed polite but disappeared forever without even taking my drink order.
Upon returning, i got my beer delivered by a bus person. Then, it looked as if everyone else got chips/salsa, but not me ( I am sitting in a very visible location). When my entree arrives ( via someone other than server) i ask if I could get chips. Sort of a bummer, now, tho. Just as well: horrible. Hard crunch chips not really good like restaurant chips should be. Fish tacos were so powerfully covered with some sort of chili powder/ red seasoning that they were actually flavorless, with even the cabbage topping lacking in flavor. Place became very busy and I never saw my server again until she brought my check ( tho I heard larger groups of diners being asked how their meal was). I dine solo a great deal. Any smart location honors the solo: how do you know I am not returning with 20 guests tomorrow?

3 Thank miscue
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a find!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

My husband and I had dinner at Don Pisto's last week while we were in San Francisco. Fortunately, we had the address for the restaurant, as the cab driver couldn't find it, and I never saw signage outside. So glad we made it. The food was terrific. We shared everything - steak tacos, carnitas, and fish tacos. My favorite was the steak taco, and my husband like the pork. All were good. We also had rice and beans - which were also very tasty. Washed it down with a cold Corona. YUM!!! I will definitely return.

• Visited November 2012