“Delicious Arepas”

Ranked #479 of 5,800 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Venezuelan
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Neighborhood: Mission District
Description: Pica Pica's signature dish is the arepa, a grilled corn pocket crunchy on the outside, moist on the inside, and stuffed with your choice of slow-cooked meats, beans, plantains, cheese or vegetables. . . All inspired by traditional family recipes. These recipes offer a distinctive combination of sweet, savory and spicy flavors that are the soul and signature of Venezuelan cuisine. Some feel the taste is reminiscent of their Latin culinary heritage; others find it exotic, tropical and adventuresome, inviting travel and discovery. When someone bites into an Arepa de Pabellon and says it is the most amazing food he or she has ever tasted, we are reminded of why we brought our food to California. Our menu also offers sides to share (yuca fries, sweet plantains, empanadas, plantain and taro chips, ceviche) as well as salads, platters, desserts, fresh juices, beer and wine.
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I love the arepas at Pica Pica. My favorites are grilled chicken and vegetarian. I'm gluten-free, and I have to figure out how to add arepas as a regular part of my diet. I wish all delis would offer their sandwiches in arepa form. Regardless, Pica Pica is a great place to get my fix, and everything on their menu is very reasonably priced. The tejadas (plantains) are the perfect dessert, offering the sweetness I love but without a lot of friend dough coating. Also, I have always found the people behind the counter to be friendly and courteous.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Saw this place on Triple D and was planning a trip to SF and decided to try it out. I was not disappointed. Had the pulled pork in a sweet corn arepa with yucca fries. I first thought when I got it that I should have ordered two. Glad that I didn't. The pulled pork was very flavorful, the avocado was fresh, and the yucca fries were something I never had before, but now want again. I took the advice of other reviewers and got there early, was actually the first customer on a Saturday. Will return the next time I'm in the bay area, and have recommended it to friends.

Love finding these small places anywhere I travel.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

From the recommendations we heard, we expected more. While the food is different, this isn't much more than a fast food dive, and not worth the schlep to the Mission.
The best thing we had was the passion fruit fresca -- not too sweet, and with all the complexity you want in a passion fruit drink. The chicken cachapa was bland, but thanks to the sauces on the table, we could turn up the flavor. Much is made of the gluten-free-ness of the corn based food ... but with all the emphasis, nothing is said about the source of the corn or other ingredients -- GMO? Overall, we're glad we have experienced Argentinian food, but we wouldn't go out of our way to have it again.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I read about this place on yelp and it didn't disappoint. It was really affordable and seemed to be local hangout with lots of drop ins and take away orders. It's not trendy as some of the other options like tacalicious which was great, but the food was simple and tasty and really affordable. The cream caramel was insanely good.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have never had Venezuelan food before, but this was a great introduction! The nachos are fabulous! The cheese empanadas are really good, but the beef are bland. I didn't have the arepas, but my sister in law did and said it was really good. The garlic aioli is mmmm yummy. The coconut quesilla is also really good... It's like coconut flavored flan.