“Best Muffins and Sandwiches”
Review of The Sentinel

The Sentinel
Ranked #1,661 of 5,861 Restaurants in San Francisco
Neighborhood: SoMa
Neighborhood: SoMa
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I first heard about the sentinel while in casual carpool (aka - the bay area's formal hitchhiking)... I couldn't believe I passed it every day and had never tried it. I finally tried their bbq sandwich, and later their corned beef sandwich. They were so, so tasty! I truly hadn't tried anything like it before. A new tasty experience all together! Eventually I also tried their muffins and coffee cakes which I almost wish I hadn't, as they soon became a temptation... they're so soft, fresh and absolutely delectable. Their staff are also very friendly!
If you're anywhere nearby - this is a must! Pick up a bite on your walk to the ferry building or to yerba buena gardens...

1  Thank MeniMar

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Amazing muffins Monday through Friday. Two choices baked daily, served hot and fresh. My only dislike is that they are closed on the weekends. Its a must do!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

The biggest downside of the Sentinel is that there is no seating, etc. Not even a couple of bar tables on the sidewalk to stand and eat. Pure take-out wasn't a problem for us, as it was one of those rare July days in San Francisco where there was sun rather than fog, so we just found a seat and it wasn't a problem. But make sure you have an idea of where you are going to eat when you pick up your lunch!

Both my husband and I got egg salad. Both the wheat and white breads were tasty. The egg salad wasn't traditional, but had a spicy twist, more like it was made with pimentos instead of the traditional chopped pickles. Every day they also do a couple of "ades" - the day we went, the options were lemonade and raspberry lemonade. We got one of each and weren't disappointed. The oatmeal raisin cookies was also delicious.

Be aware - the place is so small that they can't fit the bread cart behind the counter, so it stays out where you wait to pay and for your order. You might need to step out onto the sidewalk to let one of the staff send a tray of bread over the counter when they run out of a particular kind in the food prep area.

Reviewed March 14, 2012

Skipped breakfast and arrived yesterday around 11:30. Only waited in line behind 3 or 4 people and food came up fast. The cashier was friendly and the sandwich was REALLY. GOOD. I ordered the roasted cauliflower sandwich; think "egg salad-like" mixture but chopped cauli instead of chopped egg. The cauli was mixed with curry, raisins, cilantro and goat cheese. It had a slightly sweet yet still savory flavor and the goat cheese was pretty mild; more like cream cheese, really. But that cheese added a yummy, creamy texture made the sandwich delish and the bread/bun (no clue what it was) was soft/tasty, too. The sandwich, plus a lemonade, was about $12.

Just a head's up but this is a walk up/take out counter, so there's no place to sit (though there are shady benches right up the block, next to the Art Institute).

PS: Remember to grab napkins (and utensils, if needed); they don't put them in your bag.

Reviewed September 7, 2011

With the recommendation of a San Francisco foodie, I found this corner "hole-in-the wall" with a line of customers extending down the street. They all looked like locals, and they sounded like regulars when they ordered at the counter. You won't find a better reasonably-priced lunch in the downtown or SoMa area. It is all take-out, so on a beautiful summer day, I just walked to the outdoor space in front of the Contemporary Jewish Museum just down the block and enjoyed the best lunch of my stay in SF. It is well worth your visit, and worth the wait in line.