“Visit Japan here”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Neighborhood: Union Square
Neighborhood: Union Square
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is an excellent Japanese restaurant. Perhaps I am not qualified to judge since I am not Japanese, but my friend and I were the only non-Japanese in the restaurant, which confirmed our impression.

The service was quick, the food varied and authentic. My friend had a generous bento box, I had a beef/onion/egg dish. The miso is great.

Strongly recommended!

Date of visit: August 2019
Write a reviewReviews (368)

Reviewed July 8, 2019

Ate here two evenings in a row for dinner, tired of the over-priced restaurants at most hotels. No reservations, we were seated within 10 minutes each time. Make no mistake, one is not here for the atmosphere, this is a basic no-frills Japanese hole-in-the-wall eatery. Tables tightly spaced and packed with Asians of various nationalities, dining elbow to elbow, a veritable cacophony of Asian dialects overheard, Filipino, Mandarin, Japanese, the reassuring sight and sounds for any decent Asian restaurant. Service fast, staff sometimes forgetful, but when reminded of a missing order, quickly rectify the problem without complaint or fuss. Fantastic food for the price. We had teriyaki chicken and very good sushi. Dinner for 2 under $40 (no alcohol or beverages). A screaming deal for San Francisco.

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed June 16, 2019 via mobile

We had no reservation, but got a table for 2. The atmosphere is typically Japanese, so was the food we started with edamame, which was fine, had some sashimi of good quality (slices had been cut thinner) and some nigiri as well as some rolls, and some mixed tempura. All was made fresh and was of delicious taste, very original. Fine assortment of Japanese beer, worth to taste! Service could have been faster. Good value for money.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed March 10, 2019

Dojima Ann is a small, privately owned restaurant on O'Farrell Street. I arrived just after the lunch rush and was directed over to one of the few two tops available by a gracious seater who was also my server. I had stopped in for lunch about five years ago and had ordered the Tonkatsu Donburi. I was blown away by the delicate flavor - strange when you think about a white rice dish topped with a deep fried breaded pork in minimal broth - and made up my mind that I would come back the next time I was in San Francisco. However, I could never find the time to get back to the restaurant on any of my subsequent trips until last week.

The Tonkatsu Donburi had not changed, thank goodness. It was still the delicately flavorful soothing dish I remembered from my first visit. I have tried this dish in other restaurants, including during my trip to Tokyo last year, but none measured up to Dojima Ann's version. In others, either the deep fried pork topping was dry and too crunchy or the broth was overpowering or too sparse to moisten the rice.

It's always amazing for a dish to live up to how you remembered it. I wanted to sit and savor the experience for a while but I had to rush off to my next appointment.

The staff is very pleasant and attentive and the food is outstanding.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed March 9, 2019 via mobile

I had just driven back into the city, it was cold and I remembered a cozy Japanese restaurant with good noodles. I ordered the Nebyacki udon and tempura appetizer. The soup had a great selection of greens, egg, udon noodles, chicken and shatacki mushrooms.Stop by if you are near Union Square on O'Farrell street.

Date of visit: March 2019