“Liked this place”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Neighborhood: Union Square
Neighborhood: Union Square
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This place is not just a sushi place, which I liked. The rice dish (a donburi with pork) was good, and the noodle dishes and tempura looked good (but I was by myself so I didn't get to try a lot of other dishes). Good selection of Japanese beers, which you don't usually see. I thought the price was reasonable. Usually I sit at the bar, but the counter here was not very attractive.

Date of visit: April 2013
Write a reviewReviews (396)

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Fast service, very good soups and rolls, I keep coming back whenever I am in the neighborhood. The agadashi tofu is on the sweet side, but that is the only dish I would pass on.

Date of visit: March 2013
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The food is really tasty here. We used it as an Izakaya to try the rare Echigo beer of Niigata prefecture and some Atsukan hot sake plus various dishes ranging from sushi and rolls to fried kaki. The idea of Izakaya is to order several dishes to share over drinks. The bill was a reasonable 45 bucks pp which is way cheaper than Tokyo for the same quality. The service however was not as good, it was a bit slow and you one had to try hard to the attention of the servers. Overall, three and a half to four is a fair rating.

Date of visit: February 2013
Reviewed January 19, 2013

There is a kind of urine/ ammonia smell to this place, not very pleasant at all. Food is just so so.. I suppose it is acceptable. But since when do restaurants add a 20% gratuity automatically for a table of four??? Yes, I understand many places add them for groups, but for 4? And they did not even make it clear that they have added the gratuity. What, hoping for a double tip???

And on asking them about the bill, they um and ah, kind of pretend cannot speak English, and totally non forthcoming with what's going on. Despicable, that's what I think.

Stay away, people!

Date of visit: October 2012
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Weird strong ammonia smell (possibly from the detergent they use) permeating throughout the restaurant, doesn't seem to bother other guests and waiters. Smells like pee to me on first visit and had to relocate to the entrance where the smell is weaker.

However the food and value is very worth it so we went back almost everyday (we're there only for 4 days).

Food is good especially lunch combos. Sizing is consider large (for someone who live in asia).Try the Katsu (Fried pork cutlet). The sushi rolls are average, salmon teriyaki is also good.

Date of visit: December 2012