“Fun for a great mix.”

Marrakech Magic Theater
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This unforgettable evening begins as you enter into a historic speakeasy. The perfect setting for a remarkable evening of entertainment. Upon entering you will be escorted into the Oasis Lounge where you will witnesses world class sleight-of-hand magic prior to the main performance. A wonderful assortment of drinks and Moroccan appetizers are available for purchase prior to the show. You will then be escorted into our intimate showroom for Jay Alexander‘s unforgettable performance of magic, mentalism, and psychological feats such as human lie detection. This evening of entertainment will lift your spirits and leave a lasting memory. Find out why Bono of U2 called it “Astonishing” and Monty Python’s John Cleese said it was “Wonderful!" You'll witness intriguing feats of mentalism, sleight-of-hand miracles, and throughout, Jay Alexander’s clean comedy will keep you laughing! Get your tickets today!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Maple Shade, New Jersey
282 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 216 helpful votes
“Fun for a great mix.”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was planning a trip for four to San Francisco and like many here was scouring Trip Advisor. At the time this show was sitting at #1. I have never been to a magic show and it seemed a little pricey, but I took the chance. We all enjoyed it a lot. We're a very diverse group of friends from all over the spectrum and everybody was a little skeptical of going to a magic show. But it was a fun opportunity to dress up nice, head over to a theatre and enjoy a cool evening of magic. The show is very clean. You could bring a small child with no concerns of the content. The tricks were impressive. We also discussed for a long while how we thought they may have been done. He uses audience members for nearly every trick. Just about every group had somebody used as a volunteer in some way. At the show I was at, a volunteer apparently did something in such a way as to intentionally mess up the trick and part of the trick was compromised. But it just made me wonder all the more how it had occurred. If you're in the audience, just play along. You know there's a trick, he's not really magical/psychic. But it's fun to watch the illusions take place. As it's a small theatre, all he magic is very close-up, which I enjoy more than the big illusions I've seen on television. With those you always just assume they have built some large piece of technology to do the trick, here everything is close up and right in front of you, using seemingly ordinary items. It was also awesome to come early and have some drinks in the lounge and get to see some close-up tricks at our table. He got to know everybody and chatted about where we were from and what we did for a living. Very friendly, outgoing guy. He was also waiting at the exit after the show and chatted some more. Very personable and obviously loves his job. He did hint that "reviews" (although he didn't mention this site) had helped his show be a success, but I don't hold it against him. We're very glad we went. The show lasts about 45 minutes. I could have seen another hour, but the rest of my group thought the duration was just right.

1 Thank tallgaloot
morrisonmagic, Owner at Marrakech Magic Theater, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you so much for writing up such a wonderful and through review. I am glad that I made believers out of you and your friends. Magic up close does offer a unique experience even when individuals have seen larger productions magic shows. I am glad that the show only felt like 45 minutes, it actually is 70-75 minutes in length at every show. Time does indeed fly by when your having fun.
Thank you again for taking the time to share you experience.

Peter Morrison
Owner and Magician
Marrakech Magic Theater

Bristol, United Kingdom
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Very entertaining”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We went without children and still found the show really entertaining, good value, particularly liked the personal touch of being greeted by the magician at the door and his little card tricks that he went round the bar entertaining the audience with before the show started.
Only downside - the theatre is tiny (not a problem) but is in a cellar and it smelt damp and musty.
Still a great show though.
ps Don't go to the Morroccan restaurant next door!

Memphis, TN
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Family Entertainment”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

At first, I thought a Magic Show, really? The reviews were so strong, I thought that we should give it a chance. Glad that we did.

Some cities are known for comedy shows, some are known for plays and musicals. San Francisco? Well why not magic. There are a couple of shows in town, and I haven't seen any but one, but this one is intimate—you'll want to arrive early so that you can meet Peter, the host and star of the show. He comes around and does card tricks and interacts with the guests.

Once the real show starts, you're in a small theater where you really get an up and close show. I do believe he ends up involving 30% of the audience at one point or another.

There are some of the magic standards: rope trick, the metal rings, all done well. As well as some sleight of hand, and other way more involved tricks that will really leave you wondering how in the world he pulled it off.

Good night of fun.

2 Thank wbaccus
Grand Rapids, MI
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Surpisingly real”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I took my 22 year old son. He went for my sake (good boy) but said he was pleasantly surprised at how real the "magic" seemed to be. We puzzled quite a long time about some of the tricks - it created good conversation.

Lots of other reviews mention that the hour before the show, he visits with people and does tricks. What they didn't say was that he does this so he can look for who he wants to involve in the show itself. The good thing is that he choose great people (the woman who danced was really fun). He had numerous people participate with him (nearly every trick). If you don't want to participate, don't come for that part.

The theater is really small which means everyone will have a good seat. I was a tiny bit claustrophobic but the show was distracting enough that I didn't worry about it after a few minutes.

41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“A great night out”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was visiting San Francisco for 5 days and read some reviews for Peter's show on Tripadvisor before heading out from Scotland. I really can't agree with those who gave him a poor review as I thoroughly enjoyed the night. From the moment we entered the theatre, we felt like we were coming to see an old friend with the warm welcome we received from Peter and his staff. The pre-show time was spent with Peter mingling with all the guests and doing some card tricks which allowed him to become acquainted with his audience. There was only 14 of us in the audience and it felt as if we were sitting at the fireplace in an old "Highland Cottage" as the show was personal and intimate. Peter involves the audience close hand in his magic and that felt very special. His whole show is superb and very enthralling which makes for a good night out. At the end of the show, Peter bade each guest farewell at the door which I thought was a lovely touch. He comes across as a genuine guy and I felt very privileged to have seen his amazing show. Well done Peter.