“Chinatown Walking Tour”

Discover Walks - San Francisco Walking Tours
Ranked #137 of 294 Tours in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: How will you visit San Francisco: with an expat guide or with true NATIVES? On paid tours, or on FREE, pay-what-you-want, services?
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We have visited San Francisco many times but never did a walking tour. We visited sites we never would have seen on our own like the local fish and bird market and learned a lot of history and culture. Our guide, Madeline, was energetic and well informed. We also took her Barbary Coast tour which was equally as good.

1  Thank PhylCo
There are newer reviews for Discover Walks - San Francisco Walking Tours

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We (wife, college-age son and myself) took the Little Italy and Fisherman's Wharf tours. We had the same guide (Sarah, I think?) for both tours and appreciated her enthusiasm. We took a walking tour rather than the hop-on-hop-off because I believe you get a better feel for a city if you're actually on the streets, especially for a city as relatively compact as San Francisco. Both tours seemed to be focused on the cities history (good) as well as a fair amount of mildly-interesting but not as useful trivia. I felt the pacing and distance of the tour should be in reach of anyone who can do a couple of laps at the mall. We did unintentionally "stump" our guide with one or two seemingly basic questions, which was a bit of a surprise but not really all that much of a concern. If you've been to San Francisco before and want a better feel for it's "vibe", this is the tour for you! However, if you only have half a day and are hoping to hit all the highlights, perhaps look elsewhere.
Note: They do work exclusively for tips, but I felt our guide did a really stellar job of making folks comfortable with their pay-what-you-can approach. There were a couple of travelers in our group who were obviously on a very limited budget, and she let them know it's cool if they couldn't swing a tip.

3  Thank Paul B
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Madeline did a wonderful job showing us around Chinatown. The tour fit our family perfectly. We highly recommend this tour!

1  Thank Colangelo22
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I toured the Wharf in San Francisco with my guide Sarah and I was able to learn a lot of the history behind all of the attractions that I have seen before, but in a totally new way. She was an enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide and the tour covered many things from Ghirardelli chocolate to a peek inside a local bar and even time to play with old arcade games in a great museum by the water. Discover Walks was a great way to uncover little treasures of the city and I highly recommend these tours to anyone coming to San Francisco!

1  Thank AwesomeStephanie
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I took all three walking tours and could not have had a better way to be introduced to San Francisco. Our guide, Sarah, was phenomenal! We went to all sorts of places we would have never discovered on our own, and learned so much more history, culture, and folklore of the area because she was knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and engaging. We highly recommend all of the Discover Walks tours.