“Great day on the island” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 528 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The largest island in San Francisco Bay features magnificent views of Marin County and San Francisco, while offering a wide variety of recreation for outdoor enthusiasts.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great day on the island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

PLAN YOUR TIME HERE...This is not a "hey lets go over there for the afternoon kinda place". And if you can, try to get your tickets for the tram or segway tour way in advance.

Took the ferry from Oakland which goes through the San Francisco terminal; neat because you pass under the Bay Bridge and go past Treasure Island and Alcatraz. Note: you can camp overnight but need to plan in advance. Head towards the main park where you can take a tram tour of the island, and now Segway and scooter tours. A lot of locals bring their bicycles. The road that goes circumnavigates the island is paved and well maintained.

We took the first ferry over and then foolishly hiked up the path just left of the dock when you get to the island. This is all stairs and I would only suggest that advanced hikers/walkers take this route; it climbs about 400 feet in a short distance. After huffing and puffing my way to the top we set off for the immigration museum. Another hike downhill led us to an amazing set of buildings where we spoke with one of the docents for some time and toured the exhibit. Two hours later we hoofed it back up the hill and headed back to the park where we set out the blanket and enjoyed our picnic lunch. We had tickets for the tram tour around the island because we wanted to see a little more of the area.

The ferry ride back at the end of the day was nice but the fog was coming in pretty quickly so it was colder than I was expecting. Ferry ride tickets were roughly $30 for 2 people. No fees to gain entrance to the island. Picnic lunch and a couple extra bottles of water $20 from a deli in Berkeley. All in all, pretty priceless day in the SF Bay Area. We'll be back.

Visited May 2014
8 Thank Marti B

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Novato, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great place to sit and enjoy the sea”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Nothing too significant. We missed the island tour as it closed early on Saturday around 2 PM. Walked around and sat and enjoyed the view.

Visited May 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great outdoors!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Took the ferry to the island on a Saturday, Mother's Day weekend. Beautiful warm day. Ferry was full, but once you are there you can enjoy the space. Hike up to perimeter road was challenging, unless you are used to more strenuous activity. There is a shuttle bus for a fee, however. View is absolutely gorgeous. Easy walk to Historical Immigration Center. Interesting part of our history, not included in text books. Island is a great place to bike and picnic. Cafe/bar and store with fantastic sandwiches! Great escape from crowds in the city.

1 Thank Barbara D
Petaluma, California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Hiking on Angel Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

Angel Island, in the San Francisco Bay, is full of history, beautiful scenery, great photo opportunities, and great hiking. We took the first Ferry from Tiburon to the Island (about $15.00), hiked the mile to the Immigration Station and back to the main area where we came in. There is a bus that will take you to the immigration station if the hike is too difficult. There are steps to the top, but it is steep, and quite a hike. Definately not recommended if you have difficulty climbing hills. Whatever way you decide, be sure to spend some time at the immigration station. It is full of history, and very well displayed. We spent about 1 1/2 hours there and could have easily stayed longer. We hiked back to the main area, and had lunch at the deli. Food was very good, but there is no inside seating. It is all outside seating on the deck. There is one other Cantina on the island, but there are plenty of picnic tables if you want to pack a lunch. I think I saw lockers that are available so you don't have to hike the island carrying everything. There is also live music on weekends during the summer. There are also several hiking trails. No vehicles on the island. Parking fee in Tiburon, plus ferry fee which includes entrance to Angel Island. There are also boat docks available for a fee if you have a boat.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Sandy G
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Go here to get out of the busy city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

I spent an entire day here and it was probably the best part of my trip to San Francisco. I caught the first ferry in the morning from the Ferry Building and caught the last ferry back. I could have spent even more time checking out the island. I was there on a particularly warm day in October so it was pretty busy but the crowds were confined to the beach/picnic area near the shore. You can buy lunch at Angel Island cafe.

I was there for the hiking so I went off the beaten path and wandered to the barracks where I saw several deer. I made my way to the battery and up Mt. Livermore. I went on what I think was a closed trail since no one else was there and the trail was overgrown in some places. I saw several turkey vultures sunning themselves. I used the actual trail coming down and saw quite a few hikers. The view of the sailboats in the bay was lovely. I didn't have a lot of time to check out the Immigration Station, but I was mostly interested in seeing what nature had to offer.

In summary, this was a great way to spend a day out of the hustle and bustle of the big city :) Highly recommend to anyone visiting the Bay Area who likes hiking, nature, and history.

Visited October 2013