“A nice place to spend the day”

Angel Island State Park
Ranked #34 of 552 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The largest island in San Francisco Bay features magnificent views of Marin County and San Francisco, while offering a wide variety of recreation for outdoor enthusiasts.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We took the first ferry over in the morning and planned to return mid-afternoon. We should have packed a lunch and planned to spend more time. We rented bicycles and did the 5 mile perimeter loop. I hadn't ridden in many years and I found it difficult to deal with the hilliness of the route. My husband, who is an experienced cyclist agreed with me that my bike's gears weren't shifting properly so that might have been part of the problem. We were also told that the route was "relatively flat" with a couple of hills. We read that it was a beginner trail. Not true, as far as I was concerned. The views were truly beautiful but we didn't stop much to admire them. We did see many deer along the way and there were sea lions on the docks when we first arrived.

Apparently there are some lovely campsites on the island. Three mothers were on the ferry with their small children. It sounded like a very fun thing to do. While there was no fee for the park, there is a fee for the ferry and the bicycle rental was $12.50 per hour.

1  Thank falmouth3
There are newer reviews for Angel Island State Park

Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is literally an island of calm in the middle of a bustling metropolis. Take bikes on the ferry and get some great exercise with some of the best views of San Francisco. The spot where we ate lunch really felt like we were in Europe with scenic views (of sausalito, I think.)

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Truly an angelic place to view the city from. The day I went was weather perfect, not a cloud in the sky (great for pictures) and the temperature was just right for the hike around the island.
Had a chance to go down to the beach and wade in the water.
The views were incredible from each and every turn on the road.
Definitely need to have good hiking shoes. A light jacket is great to have, though I did not use mine.
Great deal of history and very interesting insight into the past. Old buildings show the architecture of the time. Resident buildings for staff are gorgeous and the gardens are beautiful.
The ferry ride is easy.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Great place for a hike and a picnic. Rent a private boat for the day and take a group of friends for a BBQ. Enjoy the sites, the tram and the boats in Ayala Cove.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Ferry ride is fun and picnic tables are available. You can barbeque too. It is a state park and camping sites are available. You need to reserve though. The viewpoints are great.