“Off the beaten track just a ferry away”

Angel Island State Park
Ranked #34 of 576 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The largest island in San Francisco Bay features magnificent views of Marin County and San Francisco, while offering a wide variety of recreation for outdoor enthusiasts.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 14, 2013

What a beautiful little island! The main cove faces away from the traffic of SF bay, so the waters are calm and quiet. The vegetation is lush and full of blooming flowers. I did the Segway tour with my mom, who is the world's number 1 technophobe. Our guide Frida was super personable and was even able to help my mom learn and enjoy the ride. There is lots of neat history here that you may not have heard about anywhere else, such as the Civil War encampment or the Cold War missile silos. I only wish the ferry's ran a little more often, although I do understand this is considered the off season. It was definitely worth the wait to be here either way.

1  Thank GirlRaisedInTexas
in 17 reviews
"rent bikes"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed March 14, 2013

What is nice about going to Angel Island is that you get a different view of SF and it is quiet. Take the shuttle around the island and learn about the history. We shamefully interred Japanese here and there is some amazing poetry written and available from that time. Take a picnic and kick back.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I visiting Angel Island who took a sail boat there. While a bit chilly on the bay--the sun warmed island was a welcomed relief. I enjoyed this place being very far from the city (at least that is how it felt) and yet very easy to get to. I also enjoyed barbecuing here.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I've been to Angel Island 2 times, once by myself and once with a friend and both times were great! Sometimes they have tour groups there and you can listen in on the history of the island.

1  Thank oceanlover15
See more reviews
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I took the Segway tour offered by Angel Island Company. It was the most fun I've had in a long time! They teach you the fundamentals of riding the segway, and then you're off for a tour of the island. Its about an hour and a half long "drive" with stops along the way for the guide to explain the history of the island. Honestly, I don't remember much of what she said because riding was so silly and fun all at the same time. I'm pretty sure everyone had smiles plastered on their faces the entire tour. I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys being outdoors and likes trying new things. It was an awesome experience!