“Segway Tour of Angel Island”

Angel Island State Park
Ranked #36 of 558 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The largest island in San Francisco Bay features magnificent views of Marin County and San Francisco, while offering a wide variety of recreation for outdoor enthusiasts.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Taking a Segway Tour of Angel Island was a great way to see all the history this little immigration station had to hold. Our guide was very informative. Climbing the hills on a Segway was so much fun. I've never ridden a Segway before, like most of the members of our group, but the guides gave us a 30 minute instructional session which was plenty of time to become comfortable doing this. The scenery was so beautiful and the weather was equally as lovely. Great way to spend a relaxing day in the Bay area, no killer crowds. There is also bike rentals on the island, a picnic area, a couple of snack shacks, and a nice, clean little beach area where picnics and bbq's were going on, even a couple of campers bedding down on the beach for the night.

1  Thank Patricia C

Reviewed June 28, 2012

I took a short, relaxing ferry ride from Pier 39 to Angel Island. Approaching the dock looked like a scene out of Fantasy Island or a vacation destination. You can see the Visitor's Center in the background surrounded by green grass, serene water, and places to dock private boats.

Not knowing what to expect as it was my first time there, I wanted to take in the entire island and its beauty so I signed up for the tram tour. The hour long ride includes short stops and digital narration along the way. Seeing all the garrisons, structures and buildings made the tour educational and worth the cost. They also have a tram ride to the Immigration Station at a minimal cost or you can take the short 45min walk from the Visitor's Center.

Herein lies the issue. If you don't plan your trip carefully, you may end up making it back to the dock just in time to catch the last ferry back to the mainland! So plan accordingly. Signing up to take the first scheduled tram tour is important. This will leave you with ample time to spend at the Immigration Station and get back to the dock to catch the ferry.

If you're on the tour, the tram makes a stop at the Immigration Station. You can tell the driver that you're de-boarding and you can either walk back to the dock or catch a ride on the next tram that comes by after you completed exploring the station. More important, tell the driver before the tour starts that you plan to de-board there so you can keep your ticket and get back on any tram. There's also a immigration station museum you can visit for $5. There isn't much to see after this stop so you're better off de-boarding here. This is where I made my mistake. Being Chinese, I stayed onboard (to get my monies worth) and walked to/from the Immigration Station where the tour started (the dock area). This made me almost miss the last ferry!

I'm too cheap to rent the bikes or segways so I took to walking all over. Now a word about shoes. Wear comfortable walking shoes. If you're the walking type (or cheap like me), the walk up (about 40mins) to the Immigration Station is uphill and steep at times on dirt and rocks. Some portions are equipped with uneven steps made of the same material plus wood branches and handrails to give them some definition. You'll also be walking on the (asphalt) road where the tour tram and maintenance vehicles travel. So you'll have to be mindful of them especially in large groups.

Once you get the only visitor entrance/exit to the Immigration Station, the walk to the buildings is downhill. Remember, to save your energy for the trip back. You may be tired from your visit and it will probably take you longer than expected.

The Immigration Station is by far the most developed area for visitors than the other areas. So spending a lot of time here (picnicking, talking story, etc) isn't out of the question. I found my roots/ancestors and took a lot of pictures! It's one thing to hear about their (immigration) stories growing up, it's another seeing it first hand!

Last but not least, bring some snacks/food and plenty of water! A walking stick is also advisable for those thinking about it. There's a little cafe/snack shop there and can buy souvenirs if so inclined.

A humbling and inspiring visit for sure!

6  Thank AFonger
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We went on the Angel Island and Alcatraz tour as tickets for Alcatraz were sold out. We weren't expecting a lot of angel island, but really enjoyed it. I preferred the trip to Angel Island to Alcatraz. There were superb views of the golden gate, San Francisco and Alcatraz and the surroundings were very good, it was a shame we didn't get longer there.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We took the Angel island tour as part of the Alcatraz tour. As such we were rushed since we had to catch our tour ferry back. I would visit again and take the time to walk or bike around the island at my leisure. It.s a beautiful place with nature and history to see. Take your time, take a picnic, spend the day there to really enjoy it.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Beautiful, tram tour included, really interesting. Wear layers if cool