“Amazing Mexican”
Review of Gracias Madre

Gracias Madre
Reserve with OpenTable
Gracias Madre is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #133 of 5,735 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mission District
San Francisco, California
“Amazing Mexican”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

People sometimes think that being "vegan" or eating a plant-based whole foods diet is limiting. That there's only so much you can do with plants when it comes to cooking. They couldn't be more wrong, and Gracias Madre is the place I like to take people when I'm looking to prove that point!

Gracias Madre's gourmet vegan Mexican food is worth making a trip into the Mission District. With things like sweet potato quesadillas (pictured), roasted potatoes, fresh tacos, refried beans (without the bacon grease), and a great selection of beer, wine, and non-alcoholic beverages, you can't go wrong.

I love this place and go every chance I can - especially when it gives me a chance to surprise some unsuspecting vegan skeptics.

One last tip: Try the Horchata.

• Visited December 2013

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful- vegan, healthy, Mexican, and a focus on...VEGETABLES!”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We had a great dinner here - the menu incorporates a great variety of vegetables (as opposed to focusing on rice, corn and beans) . Traditional dishes like tacos, enchiladas, include ingredients like butternut squash, mushrooms, leafy greens etc. The outdoor space in front is very comfortable because of the heat lamps. Great food in a casual but still classy atmosphere. Highly recommended!

• Visited November 2013
memphis
“Vegan Excellance”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had a delicious, fresh and interesting meal here. The guacamole was delicious and my husband and I shared to different meals. I had butternut squash enchiladas with cashew cream. I wish I could have them here in Memphis. The flavors were wonderful. My husband had three different tacos (his choice of vegetables) and they were all delicious as well. We took a bus from Union Sq, which was easy. The neighborhood isn't great, but the restaurant is beautiful and we enjoyed sitting outside.
I would def go back!

• Visited November 2013
Toronto, Canada
“All Mexican food on our trip to CA.”
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Continuing with our All Mexican food on our trip to California, we had dinner at this place, location is terrible, we got there and sat on an empty table outside, soon after someone came and told us in a kind of rude way that we had to report inside before sitting, then we had this guy serving, he was wearing shorts and my wife didn't like his hairy legs over the table, I had the three tacos meal, only the Hongos one was tasty, my wife opted no to order a meals just tea, but they didn't have her choice, there was no choice, the only had earl grey...also this was the only restaurant that didn't bring nachos to the table, all others we have been in San Diego, Encenitas, Loa Angeles did, we will not come back here, bad experience..!!

2 Thank Jorge_M_DS
San Diego, California
“My Kind of Comfort Food”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

One of my favorite eats in San Francisco! I love that they have their own farm where they grow heirloom corn and turn it into the most delicious tortillas! The chilaquiles are the best! They really nail the cashew crema as well. The place can get a bit packed but it is worth being a little squished. I have sat at the bar and met some of the nicest bartenders there as well. Give it a try!

Visited July 2013