“Excellent experience”

$91.00*
Alcatraz and San Francisco City Tour
Ranked #78 of 290 Tours in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Our company offers tours in the Northern California region, including Wine tours in Napa Valley and day trips to Yosemite National Park. We offer Hop on Hop off Buses around the city and Guided tours around the city. We are now offering tours to Monterrey Bay and Muir Woods National Monument.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I'm usually not a big 'tour' person, but my wife talked me into taking an Open City tour, where you can hop on and off. The cost was a little steep (what isn't in San Francisco) but turned out to be well worth it. We were planning on hopping off about midway through the tour, but our driver/tour guide turned out to be so entertaining, we stayed on for the whole loop! Willie Payton (the driver) was unbelievably energetic, knowledgeable, and hilarious. I'm not sure the experience of the tour would have been nearly as good with a different guide, but the landmarks seen on the tour would always have been great to see. I highly recommend this tour (especially if you can manage to have Willie as your driver! He, apparently, is also a/the supervisor).

• Finnish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Good destination to do the tour”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We did greyline tours in New York and San Francisco. The New York tour was ok but the San Francisco was better. Saw everything from the bus in 2 hours. Tour guide was good. Doesn't stop much is my only negative, we asked to get off near the squiggly road but we never spotted near it and the bus should have. Going over Golden Gate Bridge was good but very very cold and windy, almost blew my sunglasses off my face so had to take them off.

1 Thank MarcWins
Ellicott City, Maryland
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Horrible, Horrible, Horrible”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

The buses did not follow the posted schedules (we waited 40 minutes for one). That was annoying. After having waited for that bus, the company decided to pull it from service and we had to wait for another bus. We transferred to that bus and started off. The microphone didn't work. We had to wait for another bus to catch us up and we had to transfer to that bus. Then add to this stellar experience an idiot of a "guide." His name was Seth and all he wanted to talk about was partying, getting/being drunk, and naked people. (Our tour was the same day as the Bay to Breakers run--and, yes, there were naked people.) If I heard him say, "It was crazy!" one more time, I was going to shove him over the top of the coach. Do not waste your time.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank agatha56
Reed P, Manager at Gray Line of San Francisco - Super Sightseeing, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we're truly sorry your tour didn't go as well as you had hoped but please know your review has been shared with our owners and appropriate actions are being taken with staff and vehicles to ensure this never happens again.
Tampa, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Not worth the time or money”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We did a two day tour because like most others- we didn't wish to navigate or drive/ park in San Francisco. The hop on hop off concept is fine but depending on where you hop on you may have to ride the whole tour again to get to your desired location- so make sure you plan your sights accordingly. Since so many of the sites the bus goes are in north beach and fishermans warf you can easily walk them or take a cheap cab ride (the most I spent was $9). The people on the bus (when you can understand them- the microphone system is horrible and wind makes it worse) all tell the same jokes and spend as much time telling you they accept tips- at every stop- as they do speedily explaining the sites- which gets old when hoping off and on. Additionally the busses do NOT come every 15-20 min. Save your money and more importantly your TIME and take a cab!

1 Thank kemarm1
First, we're truly sorry your experience on our Hop On Hop Off bus wasn't what you expected. We try our best to carefully outline on our website and brochure where our scheduled stops are and if we have missed something our apologies. We will check our sound and volume controls to be sure the levels are not overly loud. As for the guides asking for tips, please know this information has been reviewed by management and will be handled accordingly. We do appreciate your business and we will continue to try our best to improve the items you have shared with us.
Mississauga, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Excellent from top to bottom”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I was in San Fran for 3 days while my husband was there on business. This left me alone to do as I pleased. I bought the 1/2 day tour to Muir Woods and Sausalito which was great. The bus was clean, the driver knowledgeable and friendly. We had 1hr at each location which was a little short but great. Next 2 days I had a 2 day pass for the hop-on hop-off bus city tours. Great way to get around, particularly to Golden Gate Park for the California Academy of Sciences and the De Young museums. Very easy to get the bus at Union Square. The 20 minute stops between buses was a little short for me at other locations and the locations for the pick-ups where not always easy to remember but they were great for someone travelling alone. Be aware that the buses are bigger in the morning and that they stop crossing the Golden Gate bridge after 3pm. Also I froze in the open air second floor while crossing the bridge getting amazing pictures, so wish I'd had gloves and a blanket or winter coat even for just those 15 minutes.

2 Thank tkurdi
Reed P, Manager at Gray Line of San Francisco - Super Sightseeing, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Many thanks for your comments, we strive to do our best and we're happy you enjoyed your tour with us!