“Make THE MOST of your vacation!”

Blue Heron Custom Tours
Ranked #15 of 100 Food & Drink in San Francisco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Private, custom tours in and around San Francisco, Napa and Sonoma Wine Country, Muir Woods and Sausalito, Monterey and Carmel, Yosemite, the California coast, and other destinations in Northern California. Each tour is customized so you visit the sights you want to see. Go where you want to go!
Graz, Austria
“Make THE MOST of your vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

To satisfy the different expectations of our family members (my husband and me in the fourties, my mother in law 81 years and our 16 year old son), I was searching for a private tour guide. Having read the excellent reviews on tripadvisor, I contacted Rick from Blue Heron by Mail a couple of months before our SF Trip.

The Mail contact was very prompt, informativ and friendly. I booked three one-day tours, so that we would have the opportunity to see as much as possible from SF and the bay area, altough we had not rented a car.

Afterwards I realized, that this decision was perfect!

Our first tour was „A day in the city“. Rick picked us up from our hotel with his very comfortable and clean van and drove us around. He gave interesting, never boring, informations and amazing facts and showed us the famous sights, but also some places of interest we had not heard before. But it wasn't a car trip the whole day by no means! Rick made so many stops, where we could get out of his van, that we really had the feeling of exploring the city with heart and soul!

Also the other tours to Monterey/Carmel and the „Oceanside Vistas“ are very worth to mention.
My son Nic is a rollercoaster fan and wanted so much to ride the historic, wooden roller coaster „Giant Dipper“ located at Santa Cruz Boardwalk. I asked Rick in advance of our Monterey/Carmel tour, if it would be possible to stop there and luckily it was!

Rick cares for his customers like a friend. Because my mother in law didn‘t want to walk around at some landmarks, Rick stayed with her at the car, offered her a drink and had a chat with her, so she felt save and comfortable and we three others could walk around and didn't feel limited.

By the way, it was relaxing to be without nerv wracking worries about car parking issues and because Rick is a foodie, he could also prevent us from choosing bad restaurants for our lunch times. :)

THANK YOU RICK, we never could have seen so much of SF and the Bay Area in such a memorable way, without you!

Visited August 2014
BlueHeronSF, Owner at Blue Heron Custom Tours, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Thank you very much for posting such a comprehensive review of your tours. I am glad you enjoyed seeing the sights in San Francisco, Muir Woods, West Marin, Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Carmel. The wood roller coaster in Santa Cruz is a classic, so I am glad your son got to ride it.

I do confess to being a foodie. San Francisco has one of the best dining scenes in the U.S., so I always encourage guests to eat at some of the city's many good restaurants. I hope you enjoyed your first breakfast burritos,

I look forward to seeing you again when you next head this way.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Blue Heron tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

My husband and I had a great time on our tours with Rick. We hired him for the Muir Woods/Sausalito tour, the San Fran city tour and the Monterey/Pebble Beach tour. All were fabulous and well worth the price. Rick has great tips on places to stop and enjoy along the way. His knowledge of the area is extensive and entertaining. I recommend him highly.

Cassie & Ken from Oklahoma City.

Visited August 2014
BlueHeronSF, Owner at Blue Heron Custom Tours, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for letting me show you so many of Northern California's beautiful sights. I am glad you enjoyed your tours of San Francisco, Muir Woods and Sausalito, and Monterey and Carmel. I am also glad you had the opportunity to lunch at the Lodge at Pebble Beach and watch golfers finish their rounds at the 18th hole. When you next head this way, we'll need to visit wine country.

Also, thanks so much for taking the time to post a review. It is most appreciated.
Ottawa, Canada
“Napa wine tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

Rick organized a 32 person tour to three napa wineries. He organized lunch, dinner, tastings and kept us all on track. On the way from San Fransisco to Napa he kept us entertained and informed with good information about the area, the wineries we visited, and some of the history of the region. The wineries were all excellent, the food was great and the bus was perfect. The result was a truly unforgettable day for our friends and clients.

Blue Heron Custom Tours is highly recommended.

Visited August 2014
BlueHeronSF, Owner at Blue Heron Custom Tours, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and sharing your thoughts with others.

I am glad your group enjoyed their day in the Napa Valley including the winetastings at Stag's Leap Wine Cellars, Rutherford Hill, and Domaine Chandon; the picnic lunch at Rutherford Hill; and dinner at Allegria.

When you next head this way, please let me know if I may be of some help.
Twinsburg, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Sit back and relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

Traveling with friends - we spent most of the day sightseeing (Muir Woods), lunching in Sonoma, and wine sampling in Sonoma Valley. Great way to see the countryside with Rick providing excellent commentary and knowledge regarding a wide range of subjects from history to wine making and general information. Highly recommend his services - and he will customize any tour to suit your tastes and needs - Thanks Rick - for a great tour!!!

Visited July 2014
BlueHeronSF, Owner at Blue Heron Custom Tours, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
I am glad the six of you enjoyed your tour of Muir Woods and wine country. These are two destinations that make the Bay Area special.

Thank you very much for posting a review. I appreciate your kind words. I hope to see you when you next visit San Francisco.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Blue Heron Tours San Francisco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

From beginning to end. We booked a private tour from the UK it was easy. We sent him an email he replied promptly. On the day he collected us from our hotel, was courteous and accommodating asked us what we would like to see and complied a tour of San Fran as first timers July 2014
Thanks Rick

Visited July 2014
1 Thank 902johny
BlueHeronSF, Owner at Blue Heron Custom Tours, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. I am sure other TripAdvisor readers appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts.

I am glad you enjoyed your tour of San Francisco. When you next head this way, please let me know if I may be of some help.