“"The" guide to hire for a group or alone.”

Blue Heron Custom Tours
Ranked #17 of 107 Food & Drink in San Francisco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Private, custom tours in and around San Francisco, Napa and Sonoma Wine Country, Muir Woods and Sausalito, Monterey and Carmel, Yosemite, the California coast, and other destinations in Northern California. Each tour is customized so you visit the sights you want to see. Go where you want to go!
Shalimar, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“"The" guide to hire for a group or alone.”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I was a solo senior female in San Francisco for three weeks and I wanted to see Hearst Castle, Winchester House, Point Lobo State Reserve, Monterey Aquarium, Carmel and Big Sur while I was there. Rick Spears, owner of Blue Heron, put a great 3-day tour package together for me. He was very knowledgeable of the area and a good conversationalist. I am computer illiterate and after I selected the hotels, he went the extra mile to make hotel and admission ticket reservations for me. He waited in the lines at Hearst Castle with me to make sure I got on the right bus, and even went so far as to ask me if I had my pain pills after he learned of my back problem. He carried my luggage into my room both nights and was an excellent dinner companion one night. I toured San Francisco on my own, but he kindly offered suggestions and times needed for the attractions I wanted to see when I sent him my list. That was above and beyond his duty as a guide for another tour. I highly recommend Rick for any tour of the city or surrounding area.

1 Thank Dorothy W
BlueHeronSF, Owner at Blue Heron Custom Tours, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for the very kind words. I appreciate your taking the time to tell others about your experience with Blue Heron Custom Tours.

I am glad you enjoyed the tour. The Central Coast of California, including Monterey, Carmel, and Big Sur, is home to some of the most beautiful coastline on this planet. The Winchester Mystery House and the Hearst Castle are two unique examples of wealthy individuals spending extravagantly on their homes.

Staunton, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“San Francisco in one day”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Rick did a great job showing a family of six the sites around San Francisco. He is polite, personable, and has a wealth of knowledge to share. I am sure we did not see it all, but we got a great taste of life in San Francisco. Thanks Rick.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Lightnertribe
BlueHeronSF, Owner at Blue Heron Custom Tours, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Thanks for posting the review and for being the 100th person to review Blue Heron Custom Tours and Travel. I really appreciate your taking the time to share your comments with others. I am glad you enjoyed your tour of San Francisco and Muir Woods and that you enjoyed your walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. I hope you had a good time in Yosemite National Park.
Alabama USA
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Very good Private Tour”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Rick guided me, my wife and college age daughter around the city of San Francisco. We visited alot of spots we normally would not go and learned alot about the city. Good job for a fair price. We recommend it highly, particularly if you know little about the city.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Clovernookwilly
BlueHeronSF, Owner at Blue Heron Custom Tours, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
I appreciate your taking the time to post a review of your tour of San Francisco. I am glad the three of you all enjoyed seeing some of our sights. When you next head this way, please let me know if I may be of some help.
Brockton, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Conclusion to a "Cruise of a Lifetime"”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

San Francisco was the termination of an incredible cruise through the Panama Canal, from New Orleans. I found Blue Heron Tours through reviews on TripAdvisor and Cruise Critics and I am very glad I did. Rick Spears, the owner, and I communicated by email over several months to design exactly the tour we wanted, not a prepackaged itinerary. The benefit of private touring is you call the shots, with the help and welcome guidance of a local professional. No cramped tour buses, waiting for stragglers or uninteresting stops. We were met as we disembarked the ship. Our vehicle was spacious and comfortable. It is great being picked up and dropped off at your hotel. Most importantly, no one missed out the breathtaking scenery because they were concentrating on driving a rental car on unfamiliar roads. Our group of 2 couples had 3 days and wanted to make the most of them. We spent 2 days traveling to Muir Woods, Napa and Sonoma. Rick helped us reserve a couple of excellent wine tasting opportunities. We had a couple of great dining experiences and wonderful scenery. For our final half day, Blue Heron took us on a tour of the highlights of San Francisco, with great photo opportunities and commentary. Although I had visited San Francisco on several occasions, the others in our group had not. In 2 1/2 days we saw so much of the Bay Area, but never felt rushed or part of a "cattle call." Although not an inexpensive option, it is great value for money, especially when traveling with a small group. It is a great way to experience San Francisco or Wine Country, and not just see the standard fare offered by large group tour buses.

1 Thank Natalie G
BlueHeronSF, Owner at Blue Heron Custom Tours, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Thanks so much for reviewing your three days touring with me. I am glad you enjoyed your time in San Francisco and wine country.

The tour and tasting at Schramsberg is a great experience for those who like bubbly and plan far in advance, like you did. I think sitting on Frog's Leap's porch tasting wine with a little cheese is one of the quintessential Napa experiences.

When you next head this way please let me know if I may be of some help.
Auckland, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great way to spend a day”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We did a full day customised tour with Blue Heron starting with a a couple of hours touring the city with Rick giving an informative commentary on all the sights and neighbourhoods. We spent the afternoon in Sanoma tasting wine and lunching at The Girl and the Fig in the quaint town centre. Rick is very knowledgeable about the wine regions of Sanoma and the Nappa Valley and was happy to take us to the wineries of my choice.
There's no problem stopping at any time for coffee or photos or changing plans along the way. I would totally recommend Blue Heron as tours are customised and Rick is a great host.

Visited May 2014
BlueHeronSF, Owner at Blue Heron Custom Tours, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
I am glad you enjoyed your tour of San Francisco and wine country. The Girl and the Fig is one of my favorite restaurants on Sonoma Plaza. Tasting bubbly on the terrace at Domaine Carneros is one of the nicest wine country experiences. When you next head this way, we'll need to go to Jarvis or Hall Wine's Rutherford winery.

Also, thanks so much for sharing your views with other TripAdvisor readers.