“Go with the Blue Heron”

Blue Heron Custom Tours
Ranked #16 of 106 Food & Drink in San Francisco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Private, custom tours in and around San Francisco, Napa and Sonoma Wine Country, Muir Woods and Sausalito, Monterey and Carmel, Yosemite, the California coast, and other destinations in Northern California. Each tour is customized so you visit the sights you want to see. Go where you want to go!
Aarhus, Denmark
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 140 helpful votes
“Go with the Blue Heron”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

If you are in San Francisco and want to see places outside the city, e.g. around Sonoma or Napa Valley, booking a private tour is an attractive option. It is not cheap but well worth it.
I chose Rick Spear of the Blue Heron Custom Tours as our guide because of the excellent reviews I saw on Tripadvisor and in other places – and I was not disappointed. Rick is extremely knowledgeable about the San Francisco area and he is also very friendly and just nice to be with. He is very attentive to the wishes and preferences of his guests and will do his best to make everyone happy with everything on the tour.
Our group consisted of four persons, two couples, and all of us had a great time on a full day tour that covered Muir Woods in the morning, lunch in Sonoma at The Girl & The Fig and wine tasting in Sonoma valley in the afternoon.
I booked the tour through toursbylocals.com – but you can also get in contact with Rick though his Blue Heron website. Direct contact may in fact be a little bit less expensive.
Beside the tour itself Rick was also very helpful in suggesting places to eat in San Francisco. All that we tried were very good, including the excellent seafood restaurant The Waterbar on The Embarcadero with a great view of the Bay Bridge.
A private tour with Rick Spear of the Blue Heron is a sure winner.

Visited July 2013
BlueHeronSF, Owner at Blue Heron Custom Tours, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for the very kind words. I am glad you enjoyed your tour of Muir Woods and Sonoma wine country. The Girl and the Fig is one of my favorite spots for lunch in the town of Sonoma. When you next visit San Francisco, please let me know if I may be of some help.

Dallas, TX
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“What's not to love!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I booked Rick prior to arriving in San Fran. I chose him solely based on our needs and trip advisor reviews. Our family of 3, including a ten year old son enjoyed the tour from start to finish. From a quick and easy call to reserve the time (you must do so in advance because Rick does stay booked) to a drop off at the airport at the conclusion of the tour. Our day started with Rick meeting us in the lobby of our hotel and assisting us with our luggage. Friends, Rick knows San Francisco. Rick is quick on interesting facts throughout his tour, while always engaging our ten year old. Our tour included a few quick stops in the city and also Muir Woods. You will be comfortable in his luxury van and bottled water as a bonus. He will customize the tour however you wish. We decided on this type of tour and guide simply because we wanted to be pampered on our last day of vacation. No bus full of people, no renting a car, no finding a parking spot, and no navigating. Just you and your guide....well worth the money.

Visited August 2013
BlueHeronSF, Owner at Blue Heron Custom Tours, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your tour of Muir Woods with a few extra sights in San Francisco. If a house comes on the market on Billionaire's Row, I'll let you know ;-).

I know children have different interests than adults, so I try to make sure my tours include something for everyone. I appreciate your taking the time to post a review. Thank you very much.
dfw
“Good fun, perfect for our family”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife and two daughters booked a tour with Rick. My wife and I had been to San Francisco before so we wanted a tour that was flexible and fun for our teen-agers. Rick provided a perfect scenario, we hit the landmark sites but also some sites the girls loved (Full House and Haight Ashbury). Rick was constantly engaged with my daughters which spiked their interests in the various sites we visited. We could not have been more pleased with the outcome. Thank you very much Rick for a wonderful city tour. And yes, we highly recommend Rick to others and will call on him the next time we visit San Francisco.

Visited June 2013
BlueHeronSF, Owner at Blue Heron Custom Tours, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
I am glad that your family and you enjoyed your tour of San Francisco. I try customize my tours to include sights and narrative that will appeal to guests of all ages. Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review. Feedback is always valuable.
Sydney, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Four tours in three years must say something”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have booked Blue Heron four times in the last three years and truly believe that Rick Spear is exceptional in all aspects of his trade. He is knowledgeable, punctual, organized, and really takes the time to understand his brief. I have visited with a business colleague, my children, and my wife and Rick beautifully adapts to the group that he has on the day. On this latest trip I brought my family of 6 for a 10 day stay in San Francisco. He tailored the city tour to activities that my young children would like and even managed to engage my two year old son. Today he took my wife and I to the Russian River Valley for a wine tour. We had a wonderful day thanks to Rick's knowledge of the area and overall efficiency in getting us from winery to winery. Highly recommended - he's as good as it gets!

Visited July 2013
BlueHeronSF, Owner at Blue Heron Custom Tours, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
It was a pleasure to show your family and you around San Francisco, Muir Woods, Sausalito, and the Russian River Valley. Thanks so much for your kind words. The Russian River Valley is one of my favorite spots in wine country and a must visit for Pinot Noir and Chardonnay lovers.
Makati
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Not just a private car service”
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

A lot of us view tours as nothing more than a private car service. Well this is not one. Rick is very personal. Even in our correspondence before I got to San Francisco, he had the initiative to help me check some other things that had nothing to so with the wine country tour that I booked

Rick is also very knowledgeable on San Francisco, not just wine. He gave a few great recommendations for food, and we thoroughly enjoyed the places

As to the tour itself, Rick provided a lot of valuable insight, not just taking us to the wineries but giving a backgrounder on everything we pass by. He was even gracious enough to stop by a lookout for the Golden Gate Bridge so that we could take a quick photo.

Go with Blue Heron. I know I will do so again

Visited July 2013
BlueHeronSF, Owner at Blue Heron Custom Tours, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am glad you enjoyed your day in the Napa Valley. Auberge du Soleil offers the quintessential Napa experience: lunch with great food and service while overlooking the Napa Valley on a sunny day.

My goal is to do the best I can to ensure that my guests enjoy their visit to San Francisco and Northern California. I always offer information and recommendations to help them have fun in San Francisco, the Bay Area, and Northern California.