“Fantastic”
Review of Seven Hills

Reserve with OpenTable
Seven Hills is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 5,665 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Nob Hill
Cross street: Pacific
Transit: On the Hyde street cable car stop at Pacific.
Description: SEVEN HILLS is a small neighborhood restaurant located in the romantic Nob Hill district of San Francisco. Our emphasis is on home made pasta and showcasing the best our local farmers have to offer. Our wine list was created to be extremely approachable and well suited to our cuisine. We are located on the cable car line on hyde street. We look forward to seeing you soon...
New York City, New York
“Fantastic”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Having lived in Italy for 5 years and NYC for many more, I have enjoyed many fine Italian meals. Seven Hills ranks among my favorite Italian restaurants. When in the bay area on business, I never miss an opportunity to enjoy one of the best examples of carbonara anywhere or the unique and delicious ravioli. The pork chop is a flavorful joy. The wines are reasonably priced. The list is small but well chosen. On a recent visit, my partner and I went two nights in a row: the first so he could experience what I've raved about and the second so we could share the find with friends. So popular is Seven Hills, there is often a bit of a wait but the food is well worth waiting for. The anticipation only enhances the experience. Be patient and be rewarded (and I am a NYer :o)

• Visited March 2013
Hi Patrick

I love you discerning New Yorkers; you always seem to know what you want and better still can communicate it well!
I am so glad that you stumbled upon us and am always happy to welcome both of you back in to the restaurant, especially when you consider how many great restaurant there are in SF. I'll see you very soon i am sure!!

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
“Steaming Hot Food & Superb Service!”
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

So glad we stopped on to this quaint spot on Hyde street nestled between the trees. The service was exceptional, prompt and efficient and the most gracious staff I've ever dealt with.
Our food came out steaming hot and was delicious. Absolutely memorable were the parmigano reggiano chips with the balsamic drizzle, a light little bite, but I could have eaten 20!
The housemaid gnocchi were light and fluffy. Perfecto!
Go there, it's wonderful!

• Visited April 2013
7Hills1550, Owner at Seven Hills, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Hi Chrisitne

Thanks for the great review. I am so glad that we impressed you with every aspect of your dining experience. It's not just about the food!
I hope that you check us out again next time that you are in SF

Cheers

Miami
“Memorable Meal lingers months later- I left my heart at Seven Hills”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

One advantage of writing a restaurant review six months later is that if a dish (or dishes) still bring back happy memories, you know it was really memorable. So it is with Seven Hills, located atop a hill in San Francisco, a restaurant I found highly recommended on tripadvisor. It did not disappoint. The restaurant was small and cozy, with tables close to each other. The manager seated us at a nice table in the corner and brought us tap water in a recycled wine bottle. They had little appetizers to order "while you look" and we ordered chicken liver mousse that came on three little toasts with fig jam and camponata over polenta. They didn't have pinto grigio (my wine of choice) so we ordered a very reasonable ($35) bottle of Spanish albarino. Our waitress (Stephanie?) was very happy to offer recommendations of dishes to order. She recommended the heirloom tomato stuffed with burratta, a dish we have since tried to recreate on many occasions. The gentleman seated next to eat was swooning over this dish "It's just a tomato, for pete's sake, but it's so good!" so we had to order that. I ordered the pasta dish- "the specialty of the house", which had an egg yolk encased in ravioli with spinach puree and truffle oil. We split the burratto tomato into fourths. It was an heirloom tomato, blanched, gutted, stuffed with burratta cheese (made in house) drizzled with olive oil, 20 year balsamic vinegar, with crunchy sea salt and micro greens. It was amazing. Get it. My pasta dish was quite yummy as well. I ordered bread (rustic Italian) to sop up the drippy goodness. My husband got a homey chicken cannelloni with red sauce, which was filling and delicious. Mys sister got the wild mushroom tortellini and her hubby got a pork chop. All of it was great. For dessert, we ordered fresh ricotta, with carmelized pistachios and fresh orange segments. Fresh, sweet, salty, crunchy and smooth, it was very good as well. The meal, for the quality of the food and service, was not extravagently expensive.We left, with the manager escorting us outside to the cable car. He asked us how we liked our meal. It was great and I would definitely return the next time I come to San Francisco.

• Visited October 2012
Hi Glee

Thank you for such a wonderful review of my restaurant. I am so happy that you chose Seven Hills and you had such a memorable experience. It really makes our day reading reviews such as yours and i have told all my staff to check it out also.

I wish you all the best for the future and hope to re-live your dining experience next time that you are in SF!

Atlanta
“Great homemade pasta”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was another excellent restaurant I found on TA. Seven Hills is a small restaurant which makes its pasta daily. For starters we ordered the turkey meatballs which were fantastic. You get 5 meatballs which are quite feeling. For the main course, I had the Pasta Blanket which was a very light dish. It is a thin large layer of pasta over dungeness crabmeat and sole topped with a very light sauce. It was delicious. My husband had the chicken penne pasta but did not enjoy it as much as I enjoyed my meal. The only reason we would be hesitant to return when it is too cold to wait outside is that there is no room to stand and wait for your table. We felt like we were constantly in the way of the servers or the diners. My back was literally up against a diner's chair!. If I stepped out a little, I was in the way of the busy servers. If you can, get a room in the back where you are out of the way of people waiting to be seated. In the summer I would not have a problem waiting outside for the food was outstanding!

Visited April 2013
Hi Swat1370

Pasta is definitely king here. At the moment we are offering 11 different options on our menu, showcasing what is freshest at this time. I am sorry that you had a little wait. I never ask guests to leave after their meal, and in such a small dining area it can get difficult to navigate. I am so glad that you dod not let this affect your meal and look forward to your return where i hope everything will be seamless from start to finish.

London, United Kingdom
“One of SF's hidden culinary gems.”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Tucked away in a quiet residential street just south of Grace Cathedral the Seven Hills restaurant is one of San Francisco's hidden culinary gems. We knew we were onto a winner when we saw a relaxed group of locals happily waiting outside on the street for a table. Thankfully, we'd made a reservation beforehand and were shown straight to our table by a gracious and smiling host. The chef emphasises fresh produce, skilful cooking and elegant presentation. To start Mom's Turkey meatballs ( an unexpected delight ) and fresh Dungeness Crab Salad. Raviolini delicate and zingy with the taste of lemon and basil - as good as you'd find anywhere in Milan. Catch of the Day succulent and cooked to perfection. Wine list thoughtfully edited and heavy on interesting European wines - we settled on a reasonably priced Macon . Staff proficient and well-disciplined but slightly stretched when it gets busy. Maitre 'd comes round to check that everyone is happy and there are no problems - a much appreciated touch of courtesy. This restaurant is going places.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank KellyNebraska
Hi Kelly

Wow. what a fantastic review, i really appreciate what you said about the restaurant. Reviews like yours really make me smile. I thank you for that!