TripAdvisor
Post
Inbox
Search

“WOW this place is GOOD!”
Review of Cotogna

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Jackson Square
Cross street: Montgomery
Transit: The Muni bus lines 1 California, 30 Stockton, 10 Townsend and 12 Folsom all stop within a block or two of Cotogna. The closest Bart stop, Montgomery Station, is a 10 minute walk.
Reviewed October 12, 2016 via mobile

Had lunch at Cotogna today. Luckily we arrived right on opening time of 1130am and got a table. Very soon after it was full of happy & contented diners. The food was great and service very friendly. Suggest booking well ahead if you have plans to dine at Cotogna!

Date of visit: October 2016
Write a reviewReviews (483)

Reviewed October 10, 2016

My daughter has been here a few times when in San Francisco and recommended that we try it. The food was amazing. The interior was very cool with raw brick and a variety of woods on the walls and ceiling. Open fire for cooking and a pizza oven behind the bar. The Burrata and the Black Cabbage sformato appetizers were excellent. I had the Tagliatelle Al Ragout Modenese my wife had the Amatriciana both were excellent. This is in a business area so very quiet at night and we were able to find street parking. Make a reservation in advance and enjoy.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed October 4, 2016 via mobile

I booked this restaurant for my wife and two friends for our anniversary. Booking a month in advance after reading of its popularity I had built very high expectations. Arriving the restaurant was packed and I thought the atmosphere was great.

As my companions surveyed the menu I could see what was either confusion or fear in their eyes. The first thing my wife said was "Where is the meat?". Looking through the menu I felt that some translation or explanation would have been good - it can be quite intimidating looking at a menu and not understanding what anything is! Fortunately our waitress was very patient and talked us through the menu. This did make my wife and our friends feel a little uncomfortable and my wife ended up ordering very safely when there were things there which she would have really enjoyed had she felt comfortable enough to try.

On to the food...overall I felt it was of very high quality. We shared some focaccia which was delicious. I had the sausage ragu gnocchi which was gorgeous and the gnocchi was pillow light. The ladies had pasta modenese which was rich and meaty. The final member of our party had a rabbit stuffed pasta - this was the tastiest dish of them all but was tiny. Perhaps we misunderstood and this wasn't a main but he left hungry bless him.

As a lovely final touch we were given complimentary glasses of sparkling wine to toast our anniversary. The wine was so nice I had to ask for what it was and it was hugely appeaciated. Our waitress was lovely and very patient with us. All in all I felt that the food was excellent, I was just a bit disappointed that everyone else at the table had felt a bit unnerved by the menu and atmosphere.

Date of visit: September 2016
Alexandra B, General Manager at Cotogna, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2016

Dear Richard,

Thank you for sharing your very valued comments regarding your anniversary dinner at Cotogna and concerns on the menu and its format. Our intent is to stay true to a typical, and somewhat colloquial way of eating, as though one was dining in Italy. We apologize as there was an abundance of Italian terms and ingredients on the menu which admittedly can pose a challenge, or at minimum certainly a number of questions. As we continue to improve the restaurant and the menu, remarks such as yours provide us with valuable feedback in identifying areas that concern our guests, and to this end we have recently modified the menu with fewer Italian references.

Thank you again and we strive to better the dining experience and more properly reflect the genuine hospitality that we strive for at Cotogna. If there is ever anything we can do to assist you in future it would be our pleasure, please contact me directly to make arrangements the next time you are in San Francisco.

Best Regards,

Alexandra Barton

COTOGNA
490 Pacific Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94133
abarton@cotognasf.com
415.775.8508

Reviewed September 24, 2016 via mobile

The service, experience and food were all amazing!! We ate at the chefs table , and the recommendations they made were spot on. Our server was extremely attentive. This restaurant will make you feel like you gotten more than your monies worth!!

Reviewed September 23, 2016

Was recommended to this place by a website about eating alone in SF. It was a long walk from where I was staying and I nearly gave up, but was so glad I didn't! Food was really lovely Italian, and the helpings a reasonable size so for the first time I think I've managed two courses. Very nice staff. Very easy being alone as you can sit at the counter. It was a bit expensive compared to what I have been paying in the country, but well worth it.