TripAdvisor

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Jackson Square
Cross street: Montgomery
Transit: The Muni bus lines 1 California, 30 Stockton, 10 Townsend and 12 Folsom all stop within a block or two of Cotogna. The closest Bart stop, Montgomery Station, is a 10 minute walk.
Reviewed September 24, 2016 via mobile

The service, experience and food were all amazing!! We ate at the chefs table , and the recommendations they made were spot on. Our server was extremely attentive. This restaurant will make you feel like you gotten more than your monies worth!!

Date of visit: September 2016
Write a reviewReviews (483)

Reviewed September 23, 2016

Was recommended to this place by a website about eating alone in SF. It was a long walk from where I was staying and I nearly gave up, but was so glad I didn't! Food was really lovely Italian, and the helpings a reasonable size so for the first time I think I've managed two courses. Very nice staff. Very easy being alone as you can sit at the counter. It was a bit expensive compared to what I have been paying in the country, but well worth it.

Reviewed September 21, 2016

Went for a business lunch, and we ordered a bunch of antipasti as well as entrees. Each better than the last. Foods I wouldn't have thought would mix well with my palette were delicious. Prices were not too high (for SF) and the service was pretty good as well. Highly recommended. We ordered the green beans/ asparagus, melon/prosciutto, burrata cheese and a salad for antipasti, and the spaghetti alla'amatriciana was awesome.

Reviewed September 18, 2016

I think inconsistent is the best description of our dinner experience. We ordered two appetizers( beet salad and burrata cheese with pluots). Both were good( $15 per appetizer). I love beets and often order this salad. Good but no surprise. The cheese dish was quite good, stretchy and creamy; the plouts were a lovely contrast but needed at least an entire pluot instead of the three slivers on the hunk of cheese.
We ordered two first courses: eggplant parmesan ($ 23) and grilled octopus($26). Both dishes were very good. They do not come with any side so do not expect pasta or even bread. I asked for bread and begrudgingly was given three slices of bread and a disapproving sign that that I did not care to order the focaccia bread.
I think the service was quite average meaning the server delivered the food, and took our plates but not much additional help.

2  Thank sr201753j9
Reviewed September 16, 2016

We had a very hard time making a reservation, ended up coming Monday at 9pm!
The Italian food was really great, all the dishes we tried!
Highly recommended.