TripAdvisor

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Jackson Square
Cross street: Montgomery
Transit: The Muni bus lines 1 California, 30 Stockton, 10 Townsend and 12 Folsom all stop within a block or two of Cotogna. The closest Bart stop, Montgomery Station, is a 10 minute walk.
Reviewed September 12, 2011

A foodie friend of mine that i often eat with was told to try this place out. They enjoyed it so much that they got me and a few other friends to go the next day. I Ate here just before my flight and it made my day. I think we had a 2 o clock reservation. They received us well and we filled up the community table. I think maybe the squash blossom were the highlight for me. There were ground cherry tomatoes on the plate and they were simply amazing.
I had enjoyed better quality dishes of similar value at other places, but it wasnt very far off. it is Somewhat generous in servings in some ways. I wouldnt likely go here for dinner but the Lunch was a great surprise and i look forward to going back.

Date of visit: August 2011
1  Thank PaulFarley
Write a reviewReviews (483)

Reviewed August 3, 2011

Make reservations if you can. Since we didn't, we had to sit at the community table (a wooden picnic table with two benches that seat eight). In spite of our doubts, that seating assignment actually enhanced our dining experience and became the best thing about the evening there because of the other couple with whom we dined. It's a fairly small establishment, and there was no room for us to stand at the bar and order a drink while we waited. They wouldn't even allow us to try--they insisted we go outside and find another place to have a cocktail. So, regrettably, we went next door to Cotogna's sister restaurant, the unjustifiably pretentious Quince. Don't waste your time or money there. Of course, we didn't order from the food menu while we waited, but I did pay $12 for the WORST cocktail I've ever had. Getting the call from Cotogna was such a relief because it meant we could get out of Quince.

Cotogna's menu is appropriate for the cuisine, but they didn't have a large selection. The items we chose were very good, though. We ordered the fried green tomatoes for an appetizer (and they were just adequate--not anywhere near exceptional), a pizza and a stuffed pasta dish for our entrees (both were very good), and the bomboloni and panna cotta for desserts (they were wonderful). One of the best things about Cotogna is the wine selection and pricing. Every wine sold by the glass is $10, and every bottle is $40. So, if you know your wines, you can get some pretty nice affordable restaurant wines.

Just a transportation tip: we were able to take the Powell line and California line cable cars with an additional five-block walk from our Union Square hotel, so being able to access Cotogna without a taxi was a plus.

Date of visit: July 2011
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Was very excited to go to Cotogna because of all the buzz about it. We are both foodies and I am a retired restauranteur. We have eaten at Delfina, A-16 , Perbacco, Bacco, Flour plus Water, just to name a few other places in San Francisco. You would be better served going to any one of these for -mentioned restaurants.
The food at Cotogna was unexciting, boring and bland, and for 150 bucks for 2 it was very disappointing. There was no "wow" factor at all, no:" this is really good".
We had fried green tomatoes with burratta cream and anchovies; nothing on that plate worked with anything else on the plate. The tuna salad we could have made at home, nothing special about it. The pasta we had left out a key advertised ingredient (that just so happened to be the most expensive) that would have made the dish better. Our main course, a shrimp course was OK, but the guy next to us had twice the amount on his plate of the same shrimp dish. Our desert a panna cotta was a flat broken pile of the custard it was suppose to be. Our waitress was so austere it was work for us to place our order with her. It was like we had to beg her to take our order. PaaaLEASE !
I think the award winning Chef from Quince(next door) stays in Quince and should spend more time approving the dishes in Cotogna. I wont be going back. I would rather get a near perfect dinner at the other restaurants I mentioned, almost guaranteed.

Date of visit: July 2011
3  Thank Tom P
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Cotogna is the more casual sister to Quince which is right next door. The Italian food here is light and delicious. Do not forget to request the bread here (only brought out by request) which is absolutely sinful! If you do not like butter you may not like it, but what is there not to like about buttery flakey deliciousness??! I ordered the papardelle w the wild boar which was fantastic. Perfectly cooked pasta and the boar was amazing. My boyfriend had another pasta dish which was equally as good. For dessert, we had the bomboloni which is basically like beignets - when we were there they were with kumquats and limoncello sauce. SO good! The service here is excellent - friendly without being intrusive. They also have a nice small bar seating area. The also have very good drinks as well. Enjoy!

Date of visit: May 2011
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Okay, we literally stumbled into this place when looking for a bathroom (after being too afraid to use the ones in chinatown). We were headed to a Starbucks in the area (according to our iphone gps) when we walked right by this place and figured we could grab a drink and use the facilities. Let me tell you, they basically had to kick us out. I'm not sure if they had just opened or it was a lull before the dinner rush, but no one was in there when we arrived and when we left (a few hours later) people filled every crevice of this restaurant!

The atmosphere was so inviting we decided to order a bottle of prosecco and soak it all in. The entire restaurant is immaculate from the dining area, kitchens, hallways (you walk in between two kitchens on your way to the bathroom) to the restroom. Even the wood piles in the back are nice and neat (wood for the wood burning pizza ovens). When I arrived back at the bar from the restroom (and talking with some of the staff on the way to and fro) a friend I was with ordered us a little pizza to nibble on. It was delicious!!! I'm not sure what it was called specifically, but it was a white pizza with green peppers, red onions and green onions. So crisp and delicious. After our bottle of prosecco was finished, we turned to the bartenders for some drink suggestions. I cannot recall what was in either of our drinks (pictured) but I am pretty sure one had ginger and honey and the other had campari- both had fresh fruit. (they actually have a large bowl of citrus at the bar for which they use both the rind and the juice) It was very hard to leave this place. Everyone we encountered, chefs, hostess, bartenders, other patrons, were so welcoming and friendly and gave us many suggestion for sights to see and places to hit up (or miss!)

I talk about my experience at Cotogna any chance I have. I would go back to San Fran just to try out a few other menu items! I sure hope this place sticks around- it had only been open a short while when we visited.

Date of visit: April 2011