“Refreshing break, nice views”

Hana Zen Sushi Bar - Pier 39
Reserve with OpenTable
Hana Zen Sushi Bar - Pier 39 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,245 of 5,666 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Large groups, Families with children
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Cross street: Embarcadero
Transit: Public Transit available
Arlington, Massachusetts
“Refreshing break, nice views”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

As everyone else says, you come here for the view. Big glass windows overlook the bay. It's a good place to get a cold beer and a spicy tuna maki roll and escape the heat of the day.

Visited August 2012

• Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Let the ambiance distract you from the poor service...”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Diary Review was in real time - 12:30 lunch reservation through Open Table - Seated 3 times. 1st location – ignored for over 10 minutes. 2nd time at sushi bar and the sushi chef freaked out - rudely. 3rd location and I've ordered an appetizer and 1 sushi roll. Server then "warns" me that one of the sushi chefs has called in sick, really? There are only 12 people in here including myself.

The location on the end of Pier 39 yields an amazing view of the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz. The restaurant itself is very nice on the interior as well. Hopefully I won't be disappointed with the food.

Dynamite green lipped mussels had a great spicy ponzu/mayo sauce but were over cooked. Part of the "inedible" problem is that they slice through the posterior adductor muscle near the shell so that it is lifted with the mussel and put into the mouth when it should be left stuck to the shell.

I have been here 1 hour and have eaten most of 4 mussels. I wish I were kidding. Service is so slow given that the restaurant is below 10 % capacity that I am, quite frankly, astounded.

Special hamachi and scallop- it's very good. I would prefer more spicy mayo and I did find a bone.

Unagi sobe-age - chipped plate (2 of 4 corners). Again, not enough sauce. Wait! I found some sauce (but could use more), it was under the delicious tempura vegetables.

Amaebi- the heads were served cold = pre-cooked – yes, I understand that during prep all of the heads should be tempura’ed in advance but when an order is on a ticket the portion should be plunged once again into the fryer to bring the temperature up [properly] for service and also crisp up the carapace. Served cold [like hana ZEN did on my plate] the carapace is inedible as it lacks the crisp crunchiness that I should have enjoyed.

2 dishes (mussels & unagi) seemed to be presented upside down.
After 1 1/2 hours why do I have to ask for more iced water from the first glass? I don’t know why either.

I've been wanting my check for the past 15 minutes. No one will look at me and I should not have to shout out.

They ended up comping me half the bill due to the wait and poor service - and I never even had the chance to point out the deficiencies of the food – I also suspect that given my examination of each dish/component followed by typing they may have realized that I write reviews, go figure.

I was so looking forward to California sushi. Around the Metro Washington DC area it’s rare to even find a sushi chef from Japan and amaebi is served without the tempura’ed heads. Such a disappointment.

If you are not in a hurry, can focus on the spectacular view, and are not expecting perfect food then this is the place for you.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank SeatOfMyPntsTravelr
Mississauga, Canada
“Great view, but that's about it...”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I decided to stop here for a quick bite before heading over to Aquarium of the Bay, and we quickly regretted our decision. While the restaurant offers a great view of the Pier and Alcatraz, that's pretty much all it offers. The restaurant was only about half full, but we ended up waiting nearly 20 minutes before someone even came to offer us beverages. Our server was very disorganized and was often MIA most of the time. As a result, we had to flag down two other servers to take our order. We both ordered bento boxes and were disappointed with the quality of the food. The miso soup was extremely salty and the tempura was very greasy. Food is too expensive for the quality. If you're in the mood for Japanese food, check out one of the many restaurants around Union Square. We will not be coming back here again.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Mizzen16
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great resataurant with a view of the bay”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This is a great place to hang out. Lunch prices are very reasonable. I had the tempura and beef ribs - excellent. The resaturant is on the second floor of the pier and at the very end so the views of the bay are unbelievable. Great service and atmosphere.

• Visited June 2012
Richmond, CA
“Great views!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This was a nice break from the overcrowded seafood places at Pier 39. And we still had fish--seafood tempura.
Food taste was ok, but extremely greasy, even for tempura.
Service was great.
And the view was one of the best in SF.

• Visited May 2012