“Pretty good food with a few minor hiccups”
Review of Sons & Daughters

Sons & Daughters
Reserve with OpenTable
Sons & Daughters is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #464 of 6,325 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Powell
Transit: Cable car at Bush/Powell
Reviewed November 18, 2018

Overall we had a great experience here. Service, food, and staff were generally good. Minor issues: all courses were generally good with a few oversights in preparation (e.g., too much celery in several of the dishes, caviar supplement quantity differed a lot between the two people's orders), 15% mandatory service charge even for parties of 2 (didn't see this anywhere, would have still tipped above but this policy should be clear especially at a restaurant where tabs are ~$500+/2 people. Mandatory service charge is also calculated off wine and liquor, which is not always standard practice at these price points), didn't have the bottle we ordered chilled and subbed for another "same price" but the new bottle was a cheaper wine. Despite the small issues, food was quite good, very creative and refreshing, portion sizes and number of courses just right. We left perfectly full.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed November 11, 2018

I honestly thought this was going to be the best meal I'll have during my SF trip in the last 4 days. I booked my reservation a month ago, including other places in SF such as Mourad, Che Fico, Spruce, etc. I was ok with paying $145 for food a person-- that's honestly not that much for a tasting menu, as long as the quality of the food, the cooking, and the service is on point.

The service at Sons & Daughters was exceptional-- courteous, alerted, and well versed. The food was a disaster, and it left me very angry the entire night for spending $145 for dishes that had many technical flaws, and an overall sense of carelessness.

For canapes, it was nonexistent-- we never received our canapes before the main course. I only realized this when I looked at other new tables who received tartlets before the first course. The server felt very sorry when I brought it up at the end of the meal, and he packed it for us to-go.

For the first course, the beef tartare dices were already oxidized-- the edges were brown, and it clearly wasn't cut fresh that day.

The foie gras palette (semi-tart) wasn't great. The foie was curdled, the biscuit base underneath was too wet and soggy, and the gelee on top of the foie was thickened with too much agar agar (or another hydrocolloid that made it too stiff and non-delicate). The pumpkin pickles around it was overly acidic.

The fried squid course was overseasoned. This is not a personal preference problem-- it was unbearably salty.. Not even people with salty palate's like myself could tolerate it.

For the Madai snapper course, there were scales left on the skin of the fish. It was such a small portion of fish fillet, and yet they still couldn't pay attention to the obvious details!

The duck breast had too many sinew and silverskin. The skin wasn't rendered properly, so it was an elastic and soggy mess to eat. The worst part of that dish is the bed of leek and onion soubise underneath. It was an oily mess that had too much fat, and not enough acidity or character.

When I say there's an overall sense of carelessness, that includes not wiping sauces and stains from the rim of the plates; dirty sauce smudges underneath the plates; poor knife skills; and a lack of details for the kind of price they're charging. For example, the first thing you see when the dessert is placed in front of you is a big hollow hole inside the quenelle of ice cream.

The type of things I rant about in this review aren't serious offenses for a typical restaurant; however, at $145 a person, and when my overall bill is $550 for 2 people, I'm very pissed for wasting that much money on a place that doesn't take its food seriously.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed September 14, 2018 via mobile

Really nice friendly staff, really nice food but nothing blew us out of the water. Went for the full tasting and additional wines. As mentioned before, very small glasses of wine and the service was a little rushed would like a little bit of time to savor the food and enjoy the wine.
Overall a lovely experience just a bit pricy!

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 19, 2018

I guess I hold a very high bar and have high expectations especially with a place with a Michelin star and this expensive. On a positive note, the service was professional but distant.

The $145 price for tasting menu and the $90 wine pairing are significantly overpriced. I thought the most of the food items were not good at all forgetting about the price. The wine pairings themselves did not work with food and were relatively inexpensive and mediocre rated wine choices given the price. The dinner with gratuity,tax and wine tasting were about $600 per couple. There are many better choices at 1/3-1/2 the cost in San Francisco.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank TenaciousDlite
Reviewed August 17, 2018

I can't believe we haven't dined here before, given it has been open eight years. We each had the tasting menu ($145/each), though my partner did not want lamb, so they customized each tasting. I had the supplemental french caviar with grassy bar oysters ($30), which was excellent, though the accompanying gazpacho was on he salty side. Many of the items had a smoky component which we quite enjoyed. The bread was excellent as well. I wanted a dry white to go with my oysters and was served an Austrian riesling, which went perfectly and was not on the wine list by the glass. The roasted loin and belly of lamb was a highlight, as was the almond cake dessert. Service was superb. I can't give it 4.5 stars, unfortunately, except in this review.

Date of visit: August 2018