“Exceptional Experience worth the Price”
Review of Sons & Daughters

Sons & Daughters
Reserve with OpenTable
Sons & Daughters is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #306 of 5,666 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Powell
Transit: Cable car at Bush/Powell
Manila, Philippines
“Exceptional Experience worth the Price”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Admit that the price was daunting, but the incredibly unique tasting menu of nine courses was worth it. Each course brought a beautiful arrangement of colors and flavors; taste sensations. We did not get the wine pairing, but ordered a lovely bottle of recommended california chardonnay. The staff were helpful, pleasant, attentive but not intrusive. My sister and I spent two hours savoring the nine courses and felt thoroughly satisfied/content when we left, the last customers, and entered the rather chilly July night of San Francisco.
P.S. If you are looking for the typical american meal full of carbs and supersize portions, this is not the place for you!

Visited July 2012

Media, Pennsylvania
“Great restaurant for a special occassion”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I dined at Sons & Daughters during the week of the 4th of July for a friend's birthday. He is a foodie and was impressed by this restaurant. The menu is set with about 7 courses, but don't feel overwhelmed. The portions are the best size to sample all the different items. I tried many items I had never had before.

• Visited July 2012
La Jolla,CA
“Ungenerous and Pretentious”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We went based on favorable reviews in SF Chronicle and found this restaurant to be ludicrously over priced. It is an intimate and cramped room with the kitchen right in the center. The service was mechanical, but completely lacked warmth. There is only a $92 tasting menu with microscopic portions meant to convey the preciousness of the food. The cooking itself was competent, but no where near the level of a quality restaurant such as Gary Danko. We quickly realized that we would be underfed and begged an extra piece of 5cmx5cm buckwheat toast (which was very nice); however the staff seemed quite distressed by our demand, although they did grant it. The toast was presented with great ceremony on its own little slab. Coffee was served in a little pot and was mediocre; no offer for refills. In sum, a place that is full of itself, with tiny portions, high prices, and a sense that they are doing you a favor to give you something to eat.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank ManOLaJolla
Florida
“Very Intimate and Open Concept”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My wife and I were on vacation from Florida for a week and were very excited about the food options in San Fran. We love tasting menus and farm-to-table concepts.

We were delighted to get reservations on late notice as we read some great things about this restaurant. Upon arrival we were seated at a very quaint table in the corner by the window. I loved the way the kitchen was exposed in the middle of the place, really open and airy for all to see the preparation.

As you will read in other reviews, it is a tasting menu only with an optional wine pairing. We were very excited about the prospects and it did not disappoint. The food was very good and we were very pleased.

I only had a few small issues about this $400 dinner. Our table was about 12 inches from the table next to us and the pretentious group next to us was VERY annoying. At that price point I expect to have my space so I can enjoy my company. The total quantity of food was light. The portions should have been slightly larger or additional items should be added to the tasting menu.

• Visited May 2012
Virginia, USA
“Save your money for a real meal”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

The menu is limited to a tasting menu or vegetarian tasting menu, priced at $92 with VERY SMALL PORTIONS. Had is not been for the bread we would have needed an additional meal. To pair wine with the meal would have been an additional $69 for approximately 2 1/2 glasses. The food was tasty, but portions were laughable. The portions remind me of "where's the beef'?

The service was excellent, but unless one is in the billionaire category and wanting to stimulate the economy-look elsewhere. There is NO MENU OTHER THAN THE TASTING MENU. Foodies with money and patrons with eating disorders may appreciate the menu.

• Visited May 2012