“Excellent Italian Food”
Review of Barbacco

Barbacco
Reserve with OpenTable
Barbacco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #568 of 5,860 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Battery
Transit: Embarcadero Bart Station, Embarcadero Muni Station and all lines that run through Market Street.
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had a nice dinner at Barbacco. We had the lasagne & the Oricetti with fennel sausage. It was delicious. Good wine selection too. A bit loud but it has kind of a group seating theme.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Barbacco is great food and better service. The wine list is amazing and I have never had a bad experience. They also impressed me when the hostess remembered us the second time and welcomed us back. We have now become regulars at Barbacco and every time the staff has been helpful, knowledgeable, and very friendly. If you are unsure about which wine you want, they will pour you a splash so you are not committed to getting something you are unsure of. The food is amazing. The kitchen staff does a great job sending out great food consistently and efficiently. Brussel sprouts are the best. They make all the charcuterie and gelato in house. Must have lasgna and meatballs. Also I always sit at the bar. It feels like you get to know the wait staff better and when you make friends with the staff, it translate into more enjoyable experience.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Just back to my hotel after enjoying Barbaccos spicy sicilian meatballs, polenta and a Kale salad with apples. Beutifully paired with a full bodied glass of Italian wine. The service was good from start to end. Was welcomed by the girl at the door with a warm smile and got a sest almost immediately. Didn't have to wait too long between the courses, something that could otherwise be very annoying. All in all a pleasent experience

Reviewed January 5, 2014

After a long day of walking and taking in the sights, we were tired and hungry with no reservations on a Saturday evening. We arrived about 7 and were seated right away at the bar. Rather than feeling like we were in a holding pattern the bar seating was comfortable and the service was spot on, perfectly welcoming and attentive. We had two different pasta dishes which actually tasted very different rather than variations on a theme. They were both excellent, served piping hot and fresh. The wine list included a decent California section, which was unusual and welcome based on our experience of other San Francisco Italian eateries. I know, Italian wine with Italian food - but as we live in Europe we can have Italian anytime and Californian is a treat. This restaurant got the balance right with good options from around the world. The price was reasonable too, which was also unusual and welcome in a City that is definitely on the expensive side for just about everything. We left pleasantly satisfied with the ambiance, service, food, wine, and definitely the great value!

Reviewed December 16, 2013

When wanting great Italian food in a casual atmosphere, you can't go wrong with Barbacco. As other reviewers have mentioned this isn't your typical Italian fare. Yes, there are pasta dishes, but they're not heavy in red sauce. I had the orchiette pasta with fennel sausage and kale, really yummy, a very nice portion. My husband had the fish special. I am not a big fish eater, but this was a very mild tasting fish and the prep was just right, sautéed with a slight crust.

Now for the brussels sprouts, cooked in duck fat, they are amazing. Besides fish, I am also not a b. sprouts eater, in fact I have never met a b. sprouts preparation that I have liked, that is until now. They use the smaller, and sweeter sprouts, cook them crispy, with a very distinctive taste- the duck fat. If you've ever had pomme frites in France, you'll know the taste immediately. Anyway, a very easy way to get your veggies in.

The restaurant is small; we had a reservation and were seated at the counter. At first a little disconcerting, but we enjoyed watch the prep cook put the antipasti together and talk to a few of our fellow dinners. It is a little cramped, but the meal more than made up for it.
All in all a very enjoyable experience, we'll be back.