“Homey and good food”

Cuisines: Caribbean, Puerto Rican
Neighborhood: Haight-Ashbury
Neighborhood: Haight-Ashbury
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Went there for lunch. Food was fresh, good options in menu, including vegetarian choice. The place is small and intimate. The service was friendly and efficient. If you are in the mood for Caribbean food, this will be a satisfying option

1  Thank Pilarcity

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Parada 22 rates as one of the best meals we've had in a restaurant in a long time - the food was delicious and plentiful, the service friendly, the ambiance warm and casual. I had the Pastelon (ground beef), my daughter the camarones a la criolla (shrimp), and my husband the pernil asado (pork). Wow! They were all fabulous. The plantains, greens, and spanish rice were fresh and perfect accompaniments to the entrees. Our daughter had the freshly-made lemonade, while my husband & I had the house-made Sangria. Fantastic. Like many children, our daughter does not like spicy food; while Parada 22's meals were perfectly-seasoned, they weren't "spicy". Our daughter really enjoyed the meal.

The restaurant is tiny; it seats about 33 people; one cook and one server were taking care of us all (every seat was taken). Even with a packed house, both were pleasant and very helpful. The restaurant was scrupulously clean; I was facing the open kitchen and, since I love watching cooks at-work, was able to observe everything. He was doing a perfect job of handling the food safely.

My family & I love finding casual, family-owned restaurants with fabulous food. We don't need lots of pomp. .. all we want is great food in a clean and welcoming environment. Parada 22 has this in spades.

1  Thank TheFlyingMommy
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I was visiting the Bay Area and decided to checkout local restaurant that caters to Hispanic or to be more specific Puertorrican Cuisine. My wife and daughter were more into to grabbing something quick and continue to Oakland, it was already late in the afternoon. As we sat down a waiter came to greet us and at same time gave us the menu to order from. As all of this was happening I noticed the plates coming out of the kitchen to the different customers. The food looked good, however did notice the portions were very small especially the rice. I would estimate about half of a 8 oz cup. I knew that if I am traveling from out of town an I am going to sit down to order a Puertorrican dish I want to be full if I am paying 15 to 20 dollars per plate. However, I was willing to order two extra sides of rice in the event that the restaurant was rationing their rice supply. What really threw off my daughter and my wife was the fact that they just wanted an Alcapurria or Relleno de Papa, Empanidilla de carne, queso, jueyes, etc. Parada 22 does not make any of this dishes. Since we were already seated and looking at the menu my wife and daughter ordered a sampler. It was around 6 dollars each sampler. The waiter said to us that he couldn't sell us two samplers. We ask why he could not sell us two samplers, he couldn't give us a rationale just that he just could sell one sampler. There was no disclaimer on the menu or any warning of sorts on the menu that you could only order one sampler. I was willing to try one the main plates even-though the portions seemed to be rather petite. We had no option but to ge up and leave. Can not comment on the quality of the food but just to say what I was able to observed with my eyes. Can not understand why they would have such a non-sense rule of ordering something once when there is no warning that it could be ordered once. It could be that this is San Francisco and to be fair to the owner why sell samplers at 6 dollar each when he could make more in selling us a more expensive plate. In any restaurant that you walk into you should be able order what you want base on the menu and not what the owner wants you to order. This greedy attitude of doing business is the wrong approach in my opinion. I know that overhead cost a serious treat to any business, however any business is better than no business. No customer should be imposed on what can he or can't buy, after all it is your money.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

This place is really tinny and busy. They make staples from the Puerto Rican cuisine. The food is good and authentic. The prices are more than reasonable. The service is nice.

1  Thank Maria-Ruxandra
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I felt like I was in Puerto Rico. The food was very good. Nice service. The flan was great. Thank you for a great meal.

1  Thank SAMP7777