“Nice hole-in-the-wall”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Financial District
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Went there tonight and had a very nice meal. The ambiance leaves a little to be desired (it would help a lot if they lowered or turned off the lights), but the food was excellent and the service had the right amount of attentiveness.

I had the root vegetable soup, which seemed a little bit like a winter dish, but was very tasty (seemed to have turnips, parsnips, potato, and carrot), and the roast pork. The pork was one of the daily specials, and I kind of flummoxed the waitress when I asked her what came with it. Seems like she would either have known or they would have had it written on the board. (In the event, it came with gratin scalloped potatoes, turnips, and green beans). Regardless, it was very good.

My wife had the endive salad with pears and brie, which she liked a lot. (I'll note out that both of our plates were wiped clean at the end of the starter course.) She followed that up with the steak frites, which she enjoyed, but my observation was that the cut of meat seemed to have a lot of fat and gristle and was a little sweet -- not unpleasantly so, but surprisingly.

Dessert was chocolate mousse, which was a small enough portion and light enough to be just right to split. Disappointingly, they didn't have a black tea (I settled for orangey-black and my wife had Earl Grey), but that's a minor concern.

Overall, a winner. I'd happily go back.

1  Thank dsikula

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I can't believe I ate the whole thing! That's what happens at Restaurant Ducroix. Their food is absolutly delicious. I recently had lunch here with my co-worker and normally I will only eat half of whatever it is I've ordered. She really took notice when I cleaned my plate!

After we were seated, a small portion of a sliced baguette was brought to the table, along with some olive tapenade. I should mention that while we were seated, I noticed the server bringing extra bread at a nearby table. One taste of the tapenade told me why more bread was requested. It was absolutely delicious.

My friend and frequent lunch companion, Sandra, ordered the Mustard Chicken. The chicken was so tender, it fell off the bone. It was served with roasted vegetables and pasta.

I ordered the salmon and was so enthralled with every bite that, before I knew it, I had eaten everything. The salad was dressed with the correct amount of dressing. The salmon was served with capers and was a nice, thick, healthy portion. At the very top of the pan seared salmon was the most delicious, crispy seasoning that had been cooked so perfectly to a crisp perfection. The sauce was sublime! I couldn't decide which was better - the salmon, the roasted vegetables, or the au gratin potatoes. The potatoes were the perfect doneness. Potatoes cooked correctly will have a texture similar to al dente pasta. This potato was full of substance and not mushy. The sauce, again, was heavenly!

For dessert we ordered the Creme Brulee. Sandra and I had gone there for Creme Brulee on National Creme Brulee Day last year so we were expecting the same thing. However, Restaurant Ducroix surprised us with a delightful orange flavoring, along with the generous amount of vanilla bean present in the custard. The sugar topping was cooked to a crispy, crackely, crunchy layer. You had to break it with a spoon so you could savor the topping with every bite!

I cannot wait until my next trip to Restauran Ducroix!

Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

In the middle of the financial district, the small restaurant ducroix is a niche that I was so happy to find. You might not notice it when you walk by, but it has absolutely wonderful gourmet food and a nice French staff. Highly recommended. Super reasonable prices. I will be a regular from now on.

1  Thank crsmkm
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Truly the best dinner I have ever eaten! Vol au vent: incredible button mushrooms of exquisite taste; roasted seabass: so fresh and flavorfull; creme brule: dreamlike creamy. Heavenly experience of French genius in downtown San Francisco!

2  Thank mme_scott
Reviewed November 7, 2011

This is a gem of a restaurant. I've been several times now and have never been even the slightest bit disappointed. The happy hour prix fixe menu is the best deal around. Check it out you wont be sorry.

1  Thank Fiontrai