“Gourmet Italian” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 54 Mint

54 Mint
Reserve with OpenTable
54 Mint is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #155 of 5,626 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Mission and Market streets
Transit: Mint Plaza is located off of Fifth Street between Market and Mission Streets in San Francisco’s Central Market district. The Plaza is a short distance (approximately 1 block) from the BART/MUNI Powell and Montgomery Street stations. Convenient MUNI bus lines include the 14 Mission, 15 Third, 30 Stockton, 45 Union and all Market Street routes.
Description: 54 Mint is a little gem in the heart of downtown San Francisco across from the old US Mint Building. We offer authentic Italian cuisine prepared only with fresh and seasonal ingredients. Our pastas and desserts are made fresh on a daily basis.
Denver, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gourmet Italian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Made reservations in advance of our trip and I would recommend doing so for this intimate, foodie destination. We enjoyed an appetizer, salad and entree - everything was delicious. Ambiance was comfortable and the manager/owner was very attentive with an after dinner drink. Will definitely return on my next trip to San Fran.

Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
St. Louis
“OK - a bit out there for standard Italian fare”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Had a wonderful 'cousins' reunion at 54 Mint and while the wine selection could offer more traditional, reasonably priced offerings, the wine list was if nothing else diverse (from an Italy perspective). About 120% markup on some offerings, but all generally 'bland' and so esoteric, even the semi-informed wine fan would find the offerings tough (and expensive). Dinner was non-traditional - few traditional offerings such as pasta and marinara, eggplant parm etc. On main floor noise was everywhere - sit downstairs for a quieter experience. All in all not bad ie family was involved, but I'm certain there are better traditional restaurants out there.

Visited April 2013
Santa Cruz
“Another great dinning experience at 54 Mint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

San Francisco is one of the greatest cities in the world. It’s stunningly gorgeous and is a food-lover’s paradise, with literally thousands of restaurants, and boasting more restaurants per capita than any other city in the country. We are from Santa Cruz and when we go to The City, we know we have a lot of choices of where to eat, from Afghan to Yemeni cuisine, from four-star restaurants to dive bars. Then, why would we go to the same place twice? Great food, great service, and great atmosphere.

Our party of seven dined at 54 Mint on a Saturday night, and having a reservation was a good idea, as the restaurant was always comfortably full while we were there. We started with some prosecco and a basket of warm focaccia and bread. I have only had prosecco a few times, but this was the best. The focaccia was fresh and delicious, as was the bread.

For an appetizer, we had the special grilled asparagus with ricotta cheese. It was divine – fresh, perfectly grilled, with its sweet flavor complemented by the ricotta. I had the Insalata di Rapette, which was a beet salad with yellow and red beets, basil, olives, pine nuts, and yogurt. It was sweet, creamy, and oh so good.

For a cocktail (OK, I had two), I had the Violette, which was lavender-infused vodka, served very cold, in a sugar-rimmed martini glass. It was delicate, complex, different, and quite delicious.

For my main course, I had the special pasta. It was chestnut flour pappardelle with two kinds of mushrooms, and, get this, blueberries! Let’s start with the chestnut flour. Who thinks up this sort of thing? Soft, brown, wide, flat noodles cooked to perfection, with a rather sweet taste to them. The two kinds of mushrooms included hedgehog mushrooms and some other kind. I have never heard of, or had, either of these mushrooms before, but they were delicious, being sweet and nutty, kind of like chanterelles. The blueberries were a small but important part of the flavor sensations in my mouth. They were sweet and tart at the same time, blending divinely with the pasta and mushrooms. It was a brilliant dish, very creative, and wonderfully flavorful.

For dessert we had tiramisu and the budino al cioccolato. Divine! The tiramisu is just heavenly, being light, fluffy, and creamy, with delicate flavors of chocolate and coffee. The budino al cioccolato is a bittersweet chocolate pudding that is cold, creamy, rich and very chocolaty, with a little sea salt to intensify the chocolatiness.

The menu is creative and changes with the seasons, even the drinks change. The focus is on local, organic, and sustainable foods.

The service was warm, friendly, helpful, and always at the ready, without being intrusive.

Being at 54 Mint is like being in a little oasis amidst the hustle and bustle of the big, wonderful city. I can’t wait to go back again.

• Visited March 2013
Novato, CA
“L-O-N-G Wait For Food; Meal Undercooked”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

My date and I had known each other for a year. I was seeking a special dinner before the play "Jersey Boys." We arrived promptly for our 6 p.m. reservation and were seated downstairs which I recommend as it is quite.

I ordered minestrone soup for an appetizer which was very hearty and delicious. Our food arrived one hour later after we were seated. My date's scallops were cold and only partially cooked. The manager offered his apologies as he said he had some technical problems in the kitchen. Several tables that came later than us were served food before us. The manager offered to comp us desert. However, by now we did not have time for desert. He finally comped my date's meal.

Our dining experience at 54 Mint was very unsatisfactory: long wait for food that was undercooked

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
California
“Consistently innovative wonderful dining experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

First - make reservations! We have luckily found a place at the bar the last two visits by arriving early. The bartenders are nice so it's actually quite nice, but reservations and a table away from the door would be better. The food here is easily the most innovative Italian in the city with a clear nod to traditional Italian. Each time I have visited I have had an exceptional dish or two using ingredients that border on the incredible. This trip it had to be the house made linguini with a rich marscapone and exotic mushrooms sauce sparkling with blueberries! Blueberries made this dish amazing! At the same time the beautiful carpaccio is traditional and the best in San Francisco - we had carpaccio the following night at Scalas bistro where it was good, but smaller, less tasty and more expensive. I love 54 Mint and will return ASAP.