“Great experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 54 Mint

54 Mint
Reserve with OpenTable
54 Mint is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #167 of 5,626 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Mission and Market streets
Transit: Mint Plaza is located off of Fifth Street between Market and Mission Streets in San Francisco’s Central Market district. The Plaza is a short distance (approximately 1 block) from the BART/MUNI Powell and Montgomery Street stations. Convenient MUNI bus lines include the 14 Mission, 15 Third, 30 Stockton, 45 Union and all Market Street routes.
Description: 54 Mint is a little gem in the heart of downtown San Francisco across from the old US Mint Building. We offer authentic Italian cuisine prepared only with fresh and seasonal ingredients. Our pastas and desserts are made fresh on a daily basis.
McAllen, Texas
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I drove into San Francisco from Los Angeles and arrived a bit late. 54 Mint was recommended by some friends and thankfully, they were still serving food. It was a little hard to find (it is off a small quiet street), but upon arriving you are greeted by a nice, friendly staff and great decor. It felt very authentic and yet modern. Dinner was great! I had the gnocchi in a beef ragu sauce and my boyfriend had the oxtail which was delectable. The ingredients were fresh and the food was extremely tasty. Everything was perfect. It was a wonderful start to my first (of many) visits to San Francisco! We will definitely be back next time we are in town!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank xdamy63x

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
“A hidden gem.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

The Four Season's suggested this place. It was charming with basic Italian food. We have eaten many places here but this was really good and casual. One of my favorites. They were very accommodating with any request and it was relaxing as well as tasty

Santa Cruz
“Best dinner and dining experience I’ve ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Tucked away, behind the old U. S. Mint, on one of San Francisco’s shortest streets (it’s 1 block long), is 54 Mint - that’s the name of the restaurant as well as the address. A good friend (now a great friend) recommended this Italian restaurant to us. We were greeted at the door by the owner, and immediately felt like we were family. We then noticed that we must now be part of a huge extended family, as everyone received the same warm, friendly greeting. The rest of the support staff was friendly (without being fake friendly), professional, and attentive (without hovering).

The building is really old, and the décor preserved the old charm while being beautifully decorated and exuding simple elegance. There is an upstairs dining room and a downstairs wine cellar dining room that looked like a lot of fun, too. The lighting was perfectly dim and everyone looked great in a soft, warm glow, and that’s not just the Drunk and Stormy talking.

54 Mint has a full bar and the cocktails are based on Prohibition-era recipes. I had the Drunk and Stormy, a rum-based drink. It was perfectly balanced and not too strong and not too weak. It was a really high-quality cocktail.

The rosemary focaccia was fresh and somewhat addictive, although we tried to save room for what was to come. We shared an Insalata di Rapette, which was red and gold beets, yogurt, olives, fresh basil, and toasted pine nuts. I love beet salads, and this was divine. The beets were so flavorful, and all of the flavors came together in perfect balance not only in terms of taste, but also in terms of color, texture, and taste.

I then had the Fettuccine al Funghi, which was very fresh, perfectly cooked fettuccine ribbons with delicious sautéed mushrooms, garlic, parsley, and cheese. It was perfect. Some restaurants finish their food with a slosh of olive oil to make it pretty, shiny, and tasty. While nice to look at and delicious to eat, the oil can often overpower the taste of the food, besides adding a huge amount of unnecessary calories. My fettuccine was not oily, the fresh taste of the pasta came through perfectly, and yet I could still detect a subtle undertone of olive oil. My husband had the special gnocchi with chicken. It was the best gnocchi he had ever had. The gnocchi were soft little pillows that supported amazing shredded chicken.

For dessert, I had the tiramisu. I don’t know what tiramisu means, but it must mean something like slice of heaven, angel food, or something of that ilk. I make tiramisu. I love tiramisu. I now bow down to the tiramisu at 54 Mint. It was so perfectly fabulously fresh and delicious. The 4 flavors of coffee, chocolate, marsala, and heaven were all perfectly balanced, although the flavor of heaven outshined them all. ;-) My husband had the Budino al Cioccolato, which is a bittersweet chocolate pudding with sea salt. This is not your ordinary chocolate pudding. It was a creamy, rich, dark chocolate pudding that was intensified by the little jewels of sea salt. It was amazing. We didn’t have coffee, although I’ve heard that it is some of the best that San Francisco has to offer - next time for sure.

I loved 54 Mint. I loved the focus on using organic, local, sustainable ingredients, the creative menu, the delicious food, the great service, the beautiful ambience, and the vibe.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Erica S
Dallas, Texas
“Ambiance and Memorable Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

The restaurant is tucked back into the corner off a very quiet street. Wood, brick, and steel - very loft-esque design. As you come in from the quiet street, you are instantly filled with laughter and big conversation - very reminiscent of the basement restaurants throughout Italy. My wife and I sat down in the lower level of the restaurant and it was a treasure. The food is very authentic to Italian making and I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of the choices. A truly wonderful experience and the service was excellent as well. Do not miss this italian spot while you are in San Francisco.

• Visited March 2012
Firenze
“Good place for a large party.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

I arranged a large dinner party here in November. The food and service were excellent. The wines suggested were excellent as well. It was a bit noisy, but otherwise the atmosphere was outstanding. I especially liked the appetizers and the gnocchi. Good martini too.