“Two nights in a row”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Powell St. & Geary St.
Transit: MUNI & BART: Powell Station
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Two nights in a row”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were staying at the Westin hotel, and I must admit to being reluctant to go to this restaurant as my experience of hotel restaurants is not good. But this is the exception. Complementary fries as you wait for your order. Our entree of shrimp was excellent, and my hanger steak had some of the best flavour I can recall for this cut of meat. As for the service well it was simply top grade, and I could not fault it. Excellent wine list. Desserts lovely. So we went back for a second night. Always risky, but it was as good if not better than the first. For a steak restaurant I would really recommend this place.

• Visited October 2013

Prince George, Canada
“Won't be back”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

It started with ordering a cocktail before dinner at the bar while we were waiting for our table. Both me and my friend had to send it back as we had no idea what it was that tasted so bad. the fries are amazing and i probably had too many of those, but the steak i had was not very good and both the girls vegetarian meals were so bad that the waiter took them off the check.

Visited September 2013
Brisane.
“very average and expensive”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Maybe it was our fault having fish in a restaurant named Bourbon Steak but if you are going to place fish on the menu then at least serve it properly. This is a very expensive restaurant, in excess of $300 for two and thats not having the inordinately expensive steak menu. Don't bother ordering too much as a starter as they provide free French fries with dips but the waitress, who was very pretentious, didn't mention this to us when we ordered starters. We had shrimp, which were very large but had not had the digestion tracks removed. For mains we had seared salmon which was cooked rare which was fine but lacked flavour. The other dish was Halibut which again lacked flavour and overcooked. Overall, the food was poor for this affected restaurant and the service insincere which at times felt almost contemptuous.

• Visited August 2013
Olathe, Kansas, United States
“Nice Restaurant, Prepare to Spend some $$”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We met some friends at this restaurant, and had a great evening. The ambiance was great, the food was very good, and the Bourbon tasting was fun.

I had the sirloin steak with a salted baked potato, and can say for a steak outside the Midwest, it was good. The fun part was the Bourbon infused tasting. They smoke orange peel, cherry wood, and coffee, and capture the smoke in the glass that they then pour 3 types of Bourbon in. The Bourbon was so smooth, and the infusion of the smoke in the glass was unique.

Being from the Midwest, the sticker shock of the meal was a little suprise, but overall the company and food was great

Visited August 2013
Montana
“Stick to the bar”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We arrived very early and decided to have a drink & appetizer in the bar. Our server was great. The pork short rib sliders were excellent.
We moved to the dining room for dinner and wished we'd stayed in the bar! The "starter" complimentary fries & sauces were the highlight of our meal, sadly. My husband ordered a glass of a 2009 Burgandy and was brought a 2010. When he commented the server 1st argued then said the 2010 was "better." 2009 was an exceptional year in Burgandy - to say the 2010 was better tells me you don't know what you're talking about.
My husband liked his beet salad. My "Louie" was okay. His steak was okay. I'd ordered the tuna tartare for my main course. Although others seemed to enjoy it at neighboring tables I thought it was awful. The tuna itself was impossible to taste as it was masked by the mixture of scotch bonnet, sesame oil, pine nuts, pear, egg yolk, and chili seasoning stirred in by the server as "presentation." I would have sent it back except that we were totally ignored as my plate sat untouched for 20 minutes. No one checked to see if our entrees were acceptable.
We like RN 74 in Seattle but won't waste our time or money at another Michael Mina establishment anytime soon.

• Visited August 2013