“Duck Fat Fries are the bomb” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bourbon Steak - CLOSED

Bourbon Steak
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Powell St. & Geary St.
Transit: MUNI & BART: Powell Station
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Duck Fat Fries are the bomb”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Had a very enjoyable dinner at Bourbon Steak near Union Square in San Francisco. The highlight of the meal was a "gift from the chef" of a trio of flavored Duck Fat fried potatoes. All varieties were top notch. I had the bone in Rib Eye steak which was great (excellent although not exceptional). I enjoyed the salad (I forget which one I had - it was the closest to a garden salad they offered) - not too much dressing or extra tidbits - just a good salad.
My dinner for 2 was $260 so be prepared.
We had the truffle mac & cheese (great), the tempura asparagus (excellent), and the wild mushroon spetzel (really unique and enjoyable). No dessert tried.
Would recommend if you have the cash and like a big meal.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Singapore, Singapore
“Totally enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Located in historic Westin St Francis near union square. Food is excellent. Heavenly steaks. Excellent presentation of food. Ambience very congenial and warm. Very busy when we were there. Still service was excellent

Visited April 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Overpriced and not as special as the website suggests”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had a small dish here as I stayed in the hotel this restaurant is a part of. The experience was, let's say, OK, but the menu is overpriced because even if this restaurant offers good food, the experience is not enough special. The interior is much more standard to big hotels than the website suggests, and the staff the same "hi, my name is ... and how can I help you today" category as anywhere else. In my experience, this is simply a hotel's restaurant that caters a hotel audience. And that tries to get the most money out of you, asking too many times if you want to drink or order more food. I was also sent away first when I indicated I was not going to have a full three course meal. Then I was seated in what they call "The Lounge at the Bourbon" which is ridiculous as it is just a high table with a couple chairs around it, located in the middle of the restaurant.

I had a small steak tartare which was acceptable but really nothing special at all. It had too much egg relative to the beef and the waiter made a useless performance "preparing" it. I also had a glass of simple red wine and a coffee with small sweets and to my surprise the check was $70 ... That may not be too high for what this restaurant pretends to be, but is way too high for what this restaurant really is.

The bottom line: if you want to eat steak, there are much better places in San Francisco than this steak restaurant, even though the St. Francis is one of my favorite hotels in San Francisco.

Clinton, Massachusetts
“Not as impressive as the check”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

The dining room was a dimly lit fancied up hotel restaurant. Nothing to say it was pretty or stylish or even memorable just dim.
If you don't drink alcohol your options are very limited. My choices water, sparking water or wine inspired sodas. I had the "red" wine inspired soda eh. Of course the wind list was very nice for those who drink wine.
Their starter seasoned fries with house made ketchup were very good. As were the oysters and Cesar salad. My filet was perfectly rare! With all the reviews of the their rib cap steak that is what my sweetheart chose. It was amazing as it ought to be for nearly a hundred dollars and worth it.
Brussels sprouts were eh. I found nothing appealing on the dessert menu. The dessert cart did have macaroons which didn't look amazing but I would have tried had there been anything else to make up the other four items that come when you order.
In my experience the only thing that was great was the actual steak itself. The waitstaff was pleasant. It is not a restaurant in my opinion that is suited to nice long dinners. Courses come quickly and our door to door timing was about an hour and a half. Great if you are grabbing dinner not having a dinner.
I don't think I will be going back with all the other choices available. Though I wouldn't be apprised to trying their restaurant in DC.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Highly priced, good food but gave me a sense of a shakedown.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

They made a mistake with our reservation. After a lengthy discussion, we were seated at a table for 2. I ordered the ribeye ($52) and my guest ordered the lobster pot pie ($80). The food was very good and the service was efficient, but I just felt like a number and that the goal was to maximize the bill. For 2 people without dessert and 3 drinks, the tab with tip was $250. I'll pass the next time.