“Loved the Tuna Tartare”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Powell St. & Geary St.
Transit: MUNI & BART: Powell Station
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Went here for a work dinner following a day of meetings. A lot of business travelers mixed with tourists and locals.

I had the tuna tartare prepared table side to start. It was fabulous and so very fresh. The baby quail egg added a very nice touch.

Dinner was the diver scallops. Loved the scallops but not thrilled with the banana and spring roll accompaniment.

We followed the waiters advice and got 3 sides for 6. Too much food but the Brussels sprouts and Mac n cheese were both fantastic.

Wine list good and reasonable.

Wait staff attentive to start but then faded. Our main courses took longer than normal to come out but no complaints just be aware.

All in all good eats!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have stayed at the Westin a few times now and this restaurant is a true gem of the hotel. Making reservations for New Years Eve, they featured a menu which offered a great variety of dishes to choose from. Service was exceptional and ambiance was modern with a great feeling of old world charm. When wanting to treat yourself to a 5 star meal this is the place.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Not what one should expect from an establishment like Bourbon Steak. Very expensive. And the staff are trying way to hard to please. Many fabulous alternatives in this very vibrant, cosmopolitan place.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Despite all the warnings here, I still went to this place. Exactly as described before, a rather cold almost rude welcome was the first shock. I was alone and insisted in having a table, the request was declined and I was told to come back later if I wanted one, that they had to safe the ones that had for bigger parties. I should have left by then, but I insisted. Sit down, and waited 10 mins to get the bartender's attention, and 10 more mins to get a glass of wine. By then I decided to pay and have dinner anywhere else.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

This restaurant is in the Westin St. Francis at Union Square. It's a large room rather unadorned. This is a Michael Mina restaurant. I was surprised when I asked for bread while we were having cocktails. I was told they do not serve bread but that a "surprise" would come soon....hot crunchy french fries with 3 different sauces! Worked for me. I had a filet which was good but I've surely had much better and at $56 I want GREAT. My companions said their food was OK but I knew they were somewhat disappointed. It's hard to put my finger on what was wrong. Maybe my expectations were too high after eating at Michael Mina's in Las Vegas at Bellagio.